Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2017 gsxr 750

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Azz View Post
    Still running it in, for warranty purposes can't rev it over 7000 rpm for first 1000kms, I've only done 850km on it, once first service is done can go up to 11500rpm then at 1800km can treat as normal . It's a sweeeet bike, went for another hoon around the hills and it's just powers up with ease and glides around the corners, going down is a bit scary as the brakes aren't that agressive.
    7,000rpm? Do that in third, sitting at around 110km/h, check your mirrors and then give it laldy. In the words of the great Mark Forsyth, it just fucks off. In the words of crasherfromwayback running in is not necessary - how will the dealer know anyway?

You're right about the brakes. Two fingers does not do it for me anymore and I really don't want to grab a big handful. Replacement pads are the next thing on my list.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Still running it in, for warranty purposes can't rev it over 7000 rpm for first 1000kms, I've only done 850km on it, once first service is done can go up to 11500rpm then at 1800km can treat as normal . It's a sweeeet bike, went for another hoon around the hills and it's just powers up with ease and glides around the corners, going down is a bit scary as the brakes aren't that agressive.
    A second stage of run in. I was not aware anyone still did that.
    I think a lot of the run in period is so you get used to the bike. Its likely a high ratio of injuries on a new bike model looks bad against the manufacturers name.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    2017 gsxr 750
    Still have to run in, it's nothing to do with getting used to the bike. It's about all the parts wearing and meshing together correctly. Less of an issue on newer bikes as they are all computer machined etc,but I would rather not run the risk, so am following owners manual and dealers advice. I've never owned a bike from new and never spent this much money on a bike so better to be safe than sorry 😁
    once a biker always a biker

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Still have to run in, it's nothing to do with getting used to the bike. It's about all the parts wearing and meshing together correctly. Less of an issue on newer bikes as they are all computer machined etc,but I would rather not run the risk, so am following owners manual and dealers advice. I've never owned a bike from new and never spent this much money on a bike so better to be safe than sorry 😁
    You dont think a bike manufacturer minds if a high percentage of their bikes get crashed shortly after leaving showroom floors. I think that they dont want that kind of attention. Modern bikes dont need extended meshing in periods. They rev the crap out of MV Agusta engines that havent even been installed into the frame then tell you to run it in when you buy it.

Im not telling you to ignore what can be deemed outside warranty instructions though as I have run all mine in as per warranty. The Aprilia even records your riding revs while your doing it. The extra 800km thing interests me though. That sounds even more like a rider graduation run in period
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    I saw a documentary on BMW's motorcycle factories...they dyno their bikes at the factory, and thrash the shit out of them on the dyno. Running in periods are old hat. Much of the running in advice defies logic.

For what it's worth, at the plant I work at we have a lot of high load, high speed equipment that is often replaced with new/rebuilt items when they wear out. I've never heard of the engineers putting any of our rotating/reciprocating/etc equipment through any type of break in procedure.

Bike
    2017 gsxr 750
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    I saw a documentary on BMW's motorcycle factories...they dyno their bikes at the factory, and thrash the shit out of them on the dyno. Running in periods are old hat. Much of the running in advice defies logic.

For what it's worth, at the plant I work at we have a lot of high load, high speed equipment that is often replaced with new/rebuilt items when they wear out. I've never heard of the engineers putting any of our rotating/reciprocating/etc equipment through any type of break in procedure.

Yeh I get what your saying, I had the bike serviced today and I asked about the 2nd run in and they just said common sense really, don't redline it for too long etc, and 1 of the guys said he road his bike hard as from new but didn't thrash it, so maybe some truth in the manufacture wanting you to get used to the bike, but also the initial run in helps engine parts mesh, so bugger the 2nd run in that the manual said to do, time to open the throttle and see what this can do. The new 1000 gsxr are in a few weeks, price tag around mid 20's.
    once a biker always a biker

Thread Information