Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bell qualifier opinions

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Noise used to be a big deal to me, before I started using earplugs on every ride.

Bike
    Klx250s
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Noise used to be a big deal to me, before I started using earplugs on every ride.
    Yup me too.

Bike
    2012 Fireblade
    I got over the noise issue by going deaf

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Bike
    2002 Ducati ST4S
    I have a Bell Qualifier, although I haven't ever owned a $800+ helmet so I cant really compare it to anything I would have to say the noise seems fairly bad. I have used earplugs on a couple of rides which makes things ok. On the other hand it was very easy to fit my sena intercom, it has pockets for the speakers and easy to route wires etc, but I guess most modern helmets have these features. Another positive is the visor is very easy to remove compared to my girlfriends HJC.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Runty View Post
    I got over the noise issue by going deaf

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    ...............what?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu999c View Post
    I also tried on a shoei for 800
    Nice fit but I'm struggling to see 600 dollars of better for the money.
    I KNOW that you get what you pay for but are the dearer ones that much better??
    If you went for a plain colour the Shoei might cost less. Above a certain price point you are just paying more for the paint job. The fancier the paint job, the bigger the price. That tops out about $1500 for a Rossi rep AGV.

Are more expensive helmets worth more? Depends, Arai cost more but they are the most comfortable helmets I've ever tried - even if not the most expensive.
    I have had a couple of black Shoei that cost $650 and they were nice but the Arai are nicer - a lot nicer, but at up to twice the price? That's just the base price though, you may have to spring extra for a Pinlock visor on top of the helmet price.

Despite an opinion represented here, apart from the fact that they meet a safety standard any cheap helmet I've tried wouldn't rate higher than joke status. Good for people who like hair shirts or beds of nails.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Helmets are interesting.

I'm quite the HJC fan - they fit my head very well. As do Arai.

However a top end HJC will be $600-700 (RPHA 11 for example), Arai double that.

Both will do the same job in a accident - I have seen absolutely no evidence to counter this.

I feel the budget end may be quite different.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Helmets are interesting.
    However a top end HJC will be $600-700 (RPHA 11 for example), Arai double that.
    The first Arai I bought was just a bit less than your low end estimate. The second one was ex USA on sale, at about your HJC low end.

I should mention though - for non Arai owners - that buying Arai helmets online does require knowledge of their products. The helmets come in three diffeerent head shapes, you do need to know which shape fits your head.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Bought one today.

Actually fits without pressure points unlike the Revolver Evo I've put up with for the last nearly 3 years, it seems there's buggar all consistency, even within brands - same with the LS2 full face I tried (which fitted) vs the same brand modular (didn't fit) even when they're the same size.

Maybe that's another quirk of buying at the cheap end; anyway my number one priority was no pressure points this time, everything else seems to work pretty well.

Can't comment on noise, all mine have seemed bloody noisy at speed (including 'cheap' shoei, givi, caberg and bell.)
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    The first Arai I bought was just a bit less than your low end estimate. The second one was ex USA on sale, at about your HJC low end.

I should mention though - for non Arai owners - that buying Arai helmets online does require knowledge of their products. The helmets come in three diffeerent head shapes, you do need to know which shape fits your head.
    Last few years Shoei and Arai have been producing a more 'economical' range. Same company philosophy just 'cheaper' less graphics, that type of thing.

I figure they had to - brands like HJC were knocking on their doors.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Last few years Shoei and Arai have been producing a more 'economical' range. Same company philosophy just 'cheaper' less graphics, that type of thing.

I figure they had to - brands like HJC were knocking on their doors.
    I don't think either of mine were particularly budget helmets. The first one bought in NZ had an "Italian Flag" paint job and was $1150. What can I say? I owned a Ducati at the time.

The one ex USA was a race rep Simon Crafar paint job for about $600 from memory. I guess a helmet design based on the New Zealand flag wasn't selling like hot cakes in the US of A.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I've had expensive helmets for years. And worn them a lot.

Over time quality shows through. I've had the occasional glitch, but I have always thought it money well spent.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I've had expensive helmets for years. And worn them a lot.

Over time quality shows through. I've had the occasional glitch, but I have always thought it money well spent.
    You mean the tax payer supplied ones

Tell you what I do see on Trademe lately is helmet brands I've never heard of. Not surprising NZ is a small market - appears to be a range of European ones I know nothing about.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    The WORST helmet I ever had was an expensive European one.

I found the second series of the BMW flip front helmets to be a big pile of pooh.

The visor did not seal properly - leading to a nasty whistle.

The helmet leaked badly where between the face and body pieces meet.

It need both hands to take it if off and to operate the flip mechanism.

I ended up giving it away.

These days I'm using a Bell MX-9 Adventure and I think it is really great - highly recommend them.
    =mjc=

Thread Information