Thread: Great bike road- to Akitio Beach, Lower East Coast, Nth Island

Bike
    Indian Scout

Great bike road- to Akitio Beach, Lower East Coast, Nth Island

It's the last few days of my annual leave and finally the weather, sort of, improves, so off for a full day's ride on my lonesome. I like my own company, never have to argue or convince me to do stuff I want to do. Never declined sex to myself. Many times I have asked other riders to do a run to Akitio. No way, forget it, too far, another time maybe, why? I'll tell you why. Some of the best country roads around. 10,000 sweeping bends, road curves left, curves right, curves up, curves down. And real men love curves and sweet scenery. Sheer bliss.

So the route today was.
    1.Paraparaumu over Akatarawa Road (never again. I say that ever time). Shit road forced to do 40-60kpm around totally blind hairpins waiting for farmer Brown's Ute to wipe you out in a head on.
    2. Martinborough coffee break then over the back way (Watertower) to Masterton.
    3. Masterton to Pongoroa then turn right and follow the river to Akitio beach. Nothing there, turn round and go home. It's the journey! Not about the destination. First order was find some petrol at Pahiatua then over Pahiatua Track for a relaxed ride home. Wait, that was a blast but somewhat short. Stop, U-turn and head back over Track towards Pahiatua again. Stop. U-turn and now back towards home... again.

Facts you need to know.
    M'ton to Pongo is 90 km + 44km to beach = 134. About 2 hours cruising at a leisurely 110kph. Nearest gas is Pahiatua or Dannevirke.
    From Akitio to Pahiatua was another 103 = 237km range required.

The Pongo to Pahiatua hill traverse was full noise. Beaut race track, sorry private road. No longer needed to conserve gas, knew I could make it, so time to open the taps and thrash the hell out of the sidewalls.

There was a time when I could ride all day and get home ready to ride some more. Now I get home and need beer and food and rest and comfort to recover my aching body.

Oh yeah some may observe my lime green Z1000SX has been on a diet and lost 48kg but in the process the colouring went a shade blue? Go figure that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170209_130636.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	678.3 KB 
ID:	328416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170209_140051.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	773.6 KB 
ID:	328417   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170209_140341.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	821.8 KB 
ID:	328418   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170209_142406.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	784.6 KB 
ID:	328420  
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    I'll tell you why. Some of the best country roads around. 10,000 sweeping bends, road curves left, curves right, curves up, curves down. And real men love curves and sweet scenery. Sheer bliss.

So the route today was.
    1.Paraparaumu over Akatarawa Road (never again. I say that ever time). Shit road forced to do 40-60kpm around totally blind hairpins waiting for farmer Brown's Ute to wipe you out in a head on.
    2. Martinborough coffee break then over the back way (Watertower) to Masterton.
    3. Masterton to Pongoroa then turn right and follow the river to Akitio beach. Nothing there, turn round and go home. It's the journey! Not about the destination. First order was find some petrol at Pahiatua then over Pahiatua Track for a relaxed ride home. Wait, that was a blast but somewhat short. Stop, U-turn and head back over Track towards Pahiatua again. Stop. U-turn and now back towards home... again.

Facts you need to know.
    M'ton to Pongo is 90 km + 44km to beach = 134. About 2 hours cruising at a leisurely 110kph. Nearest gas is Pahiatua or Dannevirke.
    From Akitio to Pahiatua was another 103 = 237km range required.
    Akatarawa Road - did that a few years back, in a storm in the middle of the night - everything was closed - lucky in a car could only see 20 feet forwards

Masterton to Pongaroa via Biddiford road? - be careful loose stock on the road - sheep, young bulls (in my case 25 of them, middle of road-no intention of moving-till I gave them the KB wave)

I also did Pongaroa turn right to Akitio - approx. 15 k of light gravel in 2 sections. Arrived Akitio - attracted (who thought his Xmas had appeared) attention and got rego etc checked - no worries
    The toilets here are good in case anyone wonders.

Akitio to Weber (check out the school gates) onward to Dannevirke - no there's a few more of the 10,000 curves you talk about - you had missed a few.

Take in a diversion to Mauriceville while your at it.

nice write up and pics by the way

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Sounds good. My parents live in Masterton so I take the bike down there a couple of times a year. I'll try it out the next time I'm down there.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thread Information