Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The anti-social lawn mower thread

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike

The anti-social lawn mower thread

Grrrr. Neighbours who start mowing their lawn at 8.15am Saturday should have their lawns confiscated!

To be fair, this morning's episode is not a common event and I'll assume the neighbour had an important reason to breach this social convention so will forgive on this occasion ... but if it beomes regular, she may need a visit from the 'Roundup Fairy'. I believe in Germany it is illegal to mow your lawns (or use power drills) on a Sunday.

When is an acceptable time to start mowing? For me, I usually wait until the afternoon but if I had to do it in the morning I'd feel bad starting before 10.30ish.

Rant over.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Grrrr. Neighbours who start mowing their lawn at 8.15am Saturday should have their lawns confiscated!

To be fair, this morning's episode is not a common event and I'll assume the neighbour had an important reason to breach this social convention so will forgive on this occasion ... but if it beomes regular, she may need a visit from the 'Roundup Fairy'. I believe in Germany it is illegal to mow your lawns (or use power drills) on a Sunday.

When is an acceptable time to start mowing? For me, I usually wait until the afternoon but if I had to do it in the morning I'd feel bad starting before 10.30ish.

Rant over.
    You don't know your born, you don't. LOL.

We finally managed to get noise control to shut down the party next door (10mtrs away, outside stereo) at 2:30am this morning. Great going, other recent parties went until 6:30am... Oh, to be unemployed. I had the lawn finished on the boundary by 7:30am this morning. In fairness, I couldn't be arsed taking the exhaust off the ride on at such an early hour.

Your right about Germany, my missus is of that persuasion. Even washing your car is frowned upon on the Holy day.

After 10am is a common courtesy under normal circumstances IMHO and I generally start making a racket later than that. I think my mulcher would really rip your nightie.........

Yeah but na, I hear where your coming from.

I might loosen the silencer on me big strimmer and go detail the boundary now.....
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2004ZX6R
    I work nights and I am usually home by about 3am , neighbours do their lawns mid morning when I'm trying to sleep. , I often wondered if it Would be rude of me to mow my lawns after work. ???

Bike
    Just play the noise of a lawnmower through your stereo late at night. Nothing like a bit of passive aggressive fun between neighbours :P

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by WNJ View Post
    I work nights and I am usually home by about 3am , neighbours do their lawns mid morning when I'm trying to sleep. , I often wondered if it Would be rude of me to mow my lawns after work. ???
    Oh, been there. Terrible shift and ear plug essential for a good kip.

You've just reminded me my mower has head lights and I could liberally spray some fermented fish juice as I mow. What a lovely thought.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Your right about Germany, my missus is of that persuasion. Even washing your car is frowned upon on the Holy day.
    A lot ignore it though, just like here. We had some DIY mofo doing shit at 11pm in our aparentment building on anyday of the week. And you can't do your weekly shop on Sundays either which is a bitch if you're used to doing it that way and keep forgetting XD

But then Germans seem to love it and it's their country so meh.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    While I understand your pain, you are the odd one out in the street here. One of the joys of shift work I guess.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Someone once said to me that shiftworkers have no rights. It's hard to fault that sentiment.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Street Triple R
    the guy that bought the house next door last year has operated a complete scorched earth policy in the large back yard including ALL LAST WEEKEND chopping down a bunch of trees then putting them through the biggest chipper that hirequip has. It sounded like the invasion of Poland. three days of chainsaws and whatnot. It was carnage.

Having said that he has a big job and it looks like he has broken the back of it now. Dead silent today.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    We have a guy round here somewhere close enough for his mower to be annoying who mows his lawn when the sun starts going down. 9pmish in summer.

Its not really the noise that annoys me so much, its more the WTF?
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    Honda
    When I use to mow my lawns (I pay someone to do it now) I would wait until earlier evening during the summer months when it is cooler. The chap that does it now, I am not sure when it gets done, its just nice to arrive home and see how neat and tidy everything looks.
    '' i'd let you touch me.''

Sorry fulla but I am spoken for.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by trufflebutter View Post
    When I use to mow my lawns (I pay someone to do it now) I would wait until earlier evening during the summer months when it is cooler. The chap that does it now, I am not sure when it gets done, its just nice to arrive home and see how neat and tidy everything looks.
    I have replaced my lawns with a jungle and gave the lawnmower away. Not sure whether it has saved me any work to be fair.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    After 9am is fair game IMO. Also been by noisy neighbours, thank fuck they moved out. Now there's family living there, and their young kids are frustratingly shouty ALL THE TIME, but can't complain given the shit heads who were there previously.

Bike
    Mine
    I believe in Germany it is illegal to mow your lawns (or use power drills) on a Sunday.
    In Switzerland (20 years ago anyway but I don't think it's changed) it was illegal to mow your lawn or put washing on the line on a Sunday. Also, no Sunday shopping except at the Zurich Flughafen (airport). When we first got there is was unnervingly quiet but after a few weeks we came to love it.

Around here things are semi-rural. Relatively speaking I'm a late riser so by the time I start, usually around 10:00 or 9:30 at the earliest, I'm definitely not the first.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Mine
    Single most important thing in any relationship, even with your neighbours, is communication. Talk to them. You might be surprised how accommodating they are if they know you're regularly sleeping at that time.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Thread Information