Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle industry dream jobs

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    There is no shortage of skilled labour in most industries in NZ at moment so you really need to identify your core skills and run with that.
    The shortage must be a akl problem then.

would agree with identify skills etc. Maybe look at other jobs you wouldn't normally consider.

dream mbike related job would be
    . Something to do with running a race track like the one in Wanaka?
    . Developing a motorcycle project
    . Working in a mbike museum
    . Taking people on trips as a guide
    . Being a journalist or similar and getting paid to go to the various mbike exhibitions around the world.
    . working with a large importer with a variety of bikes/makes and bits and pieces

variety, in people and/or items will make the job so much better
    and something that will stretch you imagination from time to time.

or something completely unrelated, driving cranes for example, or PBBaNT

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    start your own business hiring out scooters to tourists.

that way, when they crash, they'll not be on something big enough to kill anyone other than themselves.

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    set ya self up as a spoke polisher....there's lots of spokes out there needs polishin
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Funny you should mention that. A calendar on the wall of my local motorcycle emporium caught my eye yesterday. It showed a picture of a charming young woman with eye catching, bare, bosoms. They had a lovely, soft sheen to them. I wondered if that was professional lighting, photoshop or an actual job. Photographers bosom buffer and nipple tweaker.
    Sure it wasn't the Ducati calendar?

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    set ya self up as a spoke polisher....there's lots of spokes out there needs polishin
    and as an extension, you could "scrub new tyres"...

Bike
    TF125
    Dream jobs in the motorcycle industry? You're kidding, right?

Given the opportunity to chase the perfect job, I'd be looking at Marlborough Sounds water taxis or maybe working for a Port Company on a tugboat somewhere. Seaworks or whoever has the Cook Straight power cable observation contract would be the go too but I'm not sure I have the ideal personality type to spend long periods in close confines with others.

Keep the motorcycling a passion/hobby would be my $0.10.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Sure it wasn't the Ducati calendar?
    Eh, why on earth would I bother reading it?

Speaking of dream jobs. I bumped into a couple of fullas in town recently with a pair of wee trail bikes on the back of their ute. My interest was peeked as they did not look like farmers and the bikes were plated and in good nick. They inspect power poles for a living. A bike or on foot is the only way to access large areas apparently.

I would defo do that for a living!

It also crossed my mind that GPS mapping popular trail riding areas for emergency evac plans could be an interesting start up. I've often wondered what would happen if I broke a leg at our local area. Some of the places we get to are quite away from a helicopter landing area and no way would a quad get access. It would be hard enough describing where an injured person was let alone accessing them.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    start your own business hiring out scooters to tourists.

that way, when they crash, they'll not be on something big enough to kill anyone other than themselves.
    I'm still at work (closed, lights off, signs in, headphones on, naked from the waist down etc) and a tourist just shook the locked door and stared at me. I'm too polite so I went to have a chat in case they needed help with something urgent only unlock and open to the door to be asked if I was open.

I'm pretty diplomatic, calm and can talk to people for hours, but if I am around tourists like this for much longer I am going to turn into one of those unhelpful asshole sales peeps

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    I'm still at work (closed, lights off, signs in, headphones on, naked from the waist down etc) and a tourist just shook the locked door and stared at me. I'm too polite so I went to have a chat in case they needed help with something urgent only unlock and open to the door to be asked if I was open.

I'm pretty diplomatic, calm and can talk to people for hours, but if I am around tourists like this for much longer I am going to turn into one of those unhelpful asshole sales peeps
    Tourist kiwi etiquette educator?
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
    I worked as a salesman for Eric Wood in early 1990, Manchester St Christurch , commission and a very small retainer, they were Eric Wood Suzuki back then. New Suzuki's and a bunch of second hand bikes on the floor as well. The deal was, if you sold a bike , a second hand one, you would get your money for selling it but! ..if the bike came back to the workshop because of any faults, the cost of those faults was deducted from your wage packet. Work that out ..

Wow that's harsh.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Especially Honda ones... oh no wait they get new ones under warranty......
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    WTF

Bike
    Ktm sd gt
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    There is no shortage of skilled labour in most industries in NZ at moment so you really need to identify your core skills and run with that.
    I've been down the self employed route and doing stuff i really like, its not the same when you are forcing it out as work.
    Also switching industries you need to be REALLY good at what you do. I've moved sideways from truck driving with bit of loading ymself and unloading to more mostly just forklift driving now. Its a highly skilled competitive workplace and you have to work hard to prove yourself to colleagues.
    Nah mate, maybe where your standing but I've been looking to move/change things up for a couple of years now but there's just no cunt out there that can or wants to do my job so I just keep on going.....well there are but they are looking for the top top $ which is fine for me as a real tax payer and not self employed .But to say there is no skills shortage is wrong, I'm sure that will change as the flights keep landing though

Bike
    Considering any motorcycle industry will be seasonal and not that much during the winter. Better see if you can kick start a project to export NZ made electrical motorbikes (E-motorbike) by making them cheaper than the U.S.A Zero FSX models and hotter than the Harley Davidson Live wire project... Seems easy to build the only thing is the programing.
    https://youtu.be/OBmn60rE03o

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Funny you should mention that. A calendar on the wall of my local motorcycle emporium caught my eye yesterday. It showed a picture of a charming young woman with eye catching, bare, bosoms. They had a lovely, soft sheen to them. I wondered if that was professional lighting, photoshop or an actual job. Photographers bosom buffer and nipple tweaker.

Thread Information