Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle industry dream jobs

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Just out of interest, I'm a better instructor than I am a motorcyclist.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Funny you should mention that. A calendar on the wall of my local motorcycle emporium caught my eye yesterday. It showed a picture of a charming young woman with eye catching, bare, bosoms. They had a lovely, soft sheen to them. I wondered if that was professional lighting, photoshop or an actual job. Photographers bosom buffer and nipple tweaker.

A friend of mine had about the closest real-world job you could get to that, making the moulds for womens sports armour. I'm not sure if they actually let him rub the release agent on. Of course, they don't give jobs like that to young guys, they wait until you are considered too old to be dangerous.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Many people who try and get qualifications to get into a new industry find the qualification is worthless because employers today want experienced people and are not interested in training anyone. They forget that someone trained them for them to be where they are today.
    Yes and No. Bits of paper with some sort of qualification is bloody near mandatory in these days of university qualified with little or no real life work experience HR people.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    CB1300
    My 10c... If you want to work with / on something, stand next to it and look useful.

It'll get you further than paper. On the other hand having their paper gives you a good footing for negotiating a good wage.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    The bike industry is a lifestyle choice for me.
    Careful - you are about to be sued by Harley Davidson for using the word 'lifestyle' in a motorcycle thread without any credit to The Motor Company.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Careful - you are about to be sued by Harley Davidson for using the word 'lifestyle' in a motorcycle thread without any credit to The Motor Company.
    Hahaha...they can get fucked too.

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    You should listen to this man. ^
    I second that one

I'm thinking about my next move ...Away from motorcycles

So that I can ENJOY my royal Enfield again ....

I thought about public masterbation but the best ones already are in Wellington and are paid very well .

The competition is too high for me

sent for a divine source
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    Many people who try and get qualifications to get into a new industry find the qualification is worthless because employers today want experienced people and are not interested in training anyone. They forget that someone trained them for them to be where they are today.
    Both are good. You often make a lot of life long connections while getting those bits of paper as well, so while it's always good to know someone you can actually get to know that someone through the papers route, if that makes sense.

Sadly there is little merit in what you study now. Most job applications say you must have a degree, but the fact that it doesn't matter what the degree is often in I find a bit tragic (it's a global thing too, not just NZ).

Bike
    08R6 Race bike
    If it's only 5 or so months, so I wouldn't worry about those warning you about turning your hobby into a job, if you still enjoy it after 5 months and can keep doing it then you may as well right?

I've always thought being a reviewer/blogger is the best, it's hard work writing a thousand words on a bike in a way that is interesting, unbiased and honest. But you get to ride some cool stuff and structure your day around it.
    Can I scream?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave- View Post
    If it's only 5 or so months, so I wouldn't worry about those warning you about turning your hobby into a job, if you still enjoy it after 5 months and can keep doing it then you may as well right?

I've always thought being a reviewer/blogger is the best, it's hard work writing a thousand words on a bike in a way that is interesting, unbiased and honest. But you get to ride some cool stuff and structure your day around it.
    We've (my partner and I) been doing a few reviews for an overseas accomodation website and I love, but hate it. So hard to keep them all different and unique, and we're only 3 deep haha

I'm also shit at proof reading, and English is her second language. What a team

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by jafar View Post
    Are there any motorcycle courier companies around any more ?
    That was a fun job when I did it

Sent from my HUAWEI RIO-L02 using Tapatalk
    I gather the Pizza delivery places (Pizza Hut/ Dominoes ) are always looking for couriers ..

We also had a Dial-a-Tinnie service here for a while - I'm sure there has to be openings for that ... (I understand ours went out of business for legal reasons)
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    My 10c... If you want to work with / on something, stand next to it and look useful.
    I know of a couple of local people for whom this worked well. One is still in the motorcycle industry.

The other, John, was sitting at a dock in California as a crew were loading a yacht. At one point a couple of the guys were struggling with something so John lent a hand. Having started he just carried on working. At the completion of loading a crew member told him to stick around, they were about to have a few driinks and something to eat and John was invited to join them.

In conversation he was asked what brought him to California, he replied that he was touring the world visiting diving spots of interest.

The next topic of discussion was an enquiry as to what he did for a living. "I'm a diesel mechanic."
    "Stay there, don't go away." And his companion rushed off and came back with someone from management who after a brief discussion offered John a job.

The yacht was Phillipe Cousteau's 'Serenade' .
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Its actually owners reviews that are likely to be the most honest but magazine/newspaper reviews are good in the fact as they let you know whats new on the market. Some reviews and the motorbike reviews in "The Press" newspaper can be 50% about the history of the manufacturer or the model of bike and I find the actual review starts about half way through the article. Thats how some motorcycle reviewers fill up article space maybe. I would guess road tester jobs would be very sort after despite likely not offering a huge remuneration.
    I think half the articles on stuff etc are written by people sitting at home anyway

Someone who owns a bike is more likely to be biased though because they want to see the positives in their 'investment' than another who has no financial interest. After they have sold that bike is when the rose tinted glasses come off, so long as you get in before nostalgia kicks in

Then again if you write a model off too badly in the professional world you probablty will find yourself short of bikes to review from certain 'slighted' manufacturers over time.

In that vein I wonder if an app reviewing sales and services of motorcycle stores around the country would gain traction. Difficult to make money from that sort of thing unless you have a good amount of stores on board, but it would be fun.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...to be paid a handsome stipend for riding a bike whenever one felt the desire to get out on the highways and byways, reporting on road defects and dangers, which after being duly logged into the road repair and maintenance schedule, were acted upon by the various contractors by the following Wednesday...lunch and accommodation vouchers for the task would be supplied to you in advance of any ongoing work and a fuel card with unlimited ceiling would also be part of the overall package and if it was cold and miserable and you couldn't be fucked, no one else gave a fuck either...

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...to be paid a handsome stipend for riding a bike whenever one felt the desire to get out on the highways and byways, reporting on road defects and dangers, which after being duly logged into the road repair and maintenance schedule, were acted upon by the various contractors by the following Wednesday...lunch and accommodation vouchers for the task would be supplied to you in advance of any ongoing work and a fuel card with unlimited ceiling would also be part of the overall package and if it was cold and miserable and you couldn't be fucked, no one else gave a fuck either...
    and comes with your own selection of 3 bikes to suit varying terrains you're commenting on......riding gear included of course plus SLR camera's for ride reports
    ....wherezz that track go

Thread Information