Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Near miss - learnings?

Bike
    R1200GSA
    as you say, the fact you had a decent following distance meant you were able to recover the situation and you now have a lesson to reflect on rather than broken bits on you and the bike! Nicely done.
    The question I would be asking myself would be, was I depending on the driver in front of me to make decisions for me? A two second gap is a MINIMUM to give you enough time to assess and respond. Looking further ahead would help you determine the following distance might have needed to be larger between you and the car in front. Couldn't see any farther ahead? Then you were already too close. Never depend on the skills or judgement of others.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    What if they had been able to stop? You would then have had at least a car length less room to play with.

I've learned the hard way to be very aware of he terrain ahead and note any upcoming spots where visibility is compromised. I always have an exit strategy. Unless I'm actually lane splitting I ride to the side of the lane where I know I can lane split if necessary. I've only had to use this twice in the past thirty years.

In my book you did all that could've been reasonably expected of you. The only thing that you may have been able to do differently is to have your escape route planned ahead of time.
    If the car in front had stopped, then I would have had plenty of room because there would have been his stopping distance plus the 2-3 seconds following distance.

I was surprised how quickly the bike stopped, and really didn't need an escape route. But the back wheel was off the ground, and I know from experience that the last 30 km/h is where the dramas like locking a wheel can happen. It's moments like that when you appreciate decent tyres and good brakes...

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    I learned not to travel on statehighways today........ 50 demerits for passing a campervan and a cop coming round the corner the other way 500M away....

or rather, I learned to pass at just above the speed limit, meaning to pick 2-3KM long clear roads to try overtake and not get a fine

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    as you say, the fact you had a decent following distance meant you were able to recover the situation and you now have a lesson to reflect on rather than broken bits on you and the bike! Nicely done.
    The question I would be asking myself would be, was I depending on the driver in front of me to make decisions for me? A two second gap is a MINIMUM to give you enough time to assess and respond. Looking further ahead would help you determine the following distance might have needed to be larger between you and the car in front. Couldn't see any farther ahead? Then you were already too close. Never depend on the skills or judgement of others.
    It was a situation I'd never anticipated. But yes, for a few seconds I was depending on him to react to any danger that I couldn't see. I often back off coming up a blind hill on the open road, which is really no different.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    I learned not to travel on statehighways today........ 50 demerits for passing a campervan and a cop coming round the corner the other way 500M away....

or rather, I learned to pass at just above the speed limit, meaning to pick 2-3KM long clear roads to try overtake and not get a fine
    Write a letter, you should get off unless you were way over the limit. It's completely unreasonable to ticket someone in that situation.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Why is it on Motorways and passing lanes ... people ignore all the basic road rules.
    Got to be first.

I just dropped my lad at the mall. On the way home I slowed to let a bus pull out. Angry 4WD dick driving behind me was leaning on his horn waving his fist.

I'm starting to wonder if the very overweight get associated anger issues - another fat bastard this time.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Got to be first.

I just dropped my lad at the mall. On the way home I slowed to let a bus pull out. Angry 4WD dick driving behind me was leaning on his horn waving his fist.

I'm starting to wonder if the very overweight get associated anger issues - another fat bastard this time.
    Its because you drive a Ford.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    If the car in front had stopped, then I would have had plenty of room because there would have been his stopping distance plus the 2-3 seconds following distance.
    Indeed. That would mean that either you were slower or the stopped traffic was further away. I guess I was imagining them stopping faster i.e. hitting the stopped traffic.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    z800
    Car drivers would have been "look at that hoon lifting his back wheel like that"

Clearly you did enough of the right actions prior and during or you would of crashed.

With every near miss I have had, which fortunately hasn't been too many. I always replay it in my head and see what more I could have done prior to prevent that ass clenching moment. They are all learnings as you say.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    i wonder what cassey has to say about it

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Got to be first.

last time i was in chch (about 3 and half yrs ago) that was my experience everywhere i went coupled with cars, 4wd, vans, tradies small trucks, all wanting to occupy the space i was in on my bike, this happened nearly every time i was on the road, i was there visiting my father who was staying at the hospice while doing chemo. was planning on staying the week, after three days i got the fuck out of the shit hole and will avoid the place as much as i possibly can.
    what pissed me off more was when i mentioned it all i got was "people are under so much stress, its not their fault" fuckem i say

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Thanks for the constructive feedback. (You know who you are.).

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    bandit
    then just at the crest he started to brake.
    I would have been on the brakes at this point - don't wait to see what is happening in front - brake first - decide later .. You had no idea why he braked so you had no clear idea of what you will have to do over the hill. So brake.

The only time I don't brake when a car in front hits the brakes is if I can clearly see why they are braking ... and don't need to myself 'cause I can swerve or go round or something else ..

Yeah, the car swerved because it could not stop - yes, you survived so what you did was correct. But earlier braking would possibly have helped ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    I would have been on the brakes at this point - don't wait to see what is happening in front - brake first - decide later .. You had no idea why he braked so you had no clear idea of what you will have to do over the hill. So brake.

The only time I don't brake when a car in front hits the brakes is if I can clearly see why they are braking ... and don't need to myself 'cause I can swerve or go round or something else ..

Yeah, the car swerved because it could not stop - yes, you survived so what you did was correct. But earlier braking would possibly have helped ...
    I did start to brake when I saw the brake lights come on, I always do that when following on the motorway. But he never braked hard, just swerved into the left lane, and then I saw the other cars.

Because I was already braking and had some weight transfer to the front wheel, I was able to get hard on the brakes almost instantly. That definitely helped.

I didn't use the rear, and the cable tie on the fork leg says that they almost bottomed.

Bike
    bandit
    I did start to brake when I saw the brake lights come on, I always do that when following on the motorway. But he never braked hard, just swerved into the left lane, and then I saw the other cars.

Because I was already braking and had some weight transfer to the front wheel, I was able to get hard on the brakes almost instantly. That definitely helped.

I didn't use the rear, and the cable tie on the fork leg says that they almost bottomed.
    Why didn't you use the rear? 30% of the stopping power of a bike is on the rear wheel ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Thread Information