Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Near miss - learnings?

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Why didn't you use the rear? 30% of the stopping power of a bike is on the rear wheel ..
    On some bikes, but not a R1. The rear was off the ground for the last part.

I could have used it when I started braking, but would need to practice as it's too easy to lock the rear as the weight transfers to the front wheel.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    On some bikes, but not a R1. The rear was off the ground for the last part.

I could have used it when I started braking, but would need to practice as it's too easy to lock the rear as the weight transfers to the front wheel.
    Yeah .. I've had the rear wheel off the ground under extreme braking ... gives you no stopping power at all.
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Don't fall into the trap of focussing on the car in front as this is exactly how nose to tails occur. People are only watching the car in front, often following too close, so when the one in front stops hard, they have to as well. Usually results in either them hitting the one in front, or being rammed up the rear (Ok, or both... Aucklanders). Neither situation is good for you.

While paying attention to the cars in front, look as far ahead as possible, 12 seconds up the road or more. What is the traffic doing? Can you see it slowing down (brake lights or cars close together, or worse, smoke from locked brakes)? Start braking early, which will increase your following distance and warn the car behind you that something is happening. Having done this, you're managing your space. If you have to stop, you a, have more distance, and b, hopefully the car behind is now paying attention. Additionally, you can manage the car behind because you have space to work with.

There are a few spots on the motorway system with blind rises (another often with stopped traffic is northbound approaching Mt Wellington, or southbound, Manurewa hill). Pay attention to the reduced visibility, and increase your following distance. Give yourself more time to react.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    and I had to decide whether to do the same or brake.
    Well done, this thought process is what keeps you alive.

One thing I was taught years ago by a veteran trucker, you always have an option, even if its only choosing what part of the offending car you are going to collide with if that will mitigate injury potential.

I had similar when a ute I was overtaking at night did last minute brake and turn into driveway. I immediately emergency braked and turned, was still going to hit him so better option was to release brakes, turn more and try to pass in front of him. It worked! I did jump across the hump of his driveway at about 80ish, by some miracle the GSXR front end didn't washout on bumpy rural grass verge, ,missed a lamp post style letter box and tracked back on to highway. I could have ended up tumbling in ditch or fence but it was far better prospect than slamming into his front right quarter panel and maybe door pillar.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I have not found locking the rear a scary exerience at all on my over 200kg bike but I was on a dry road and in a 50km/hr speed limit area.
    Stop. You're trying way too hard now.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
    Stop. You're trying way too hard now.
    Trying? Ha. It's fucked in the head, locking up a rear in a 50K zone, really, what was it a bloody Dasch'nhound!???????????????????
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I have not found locking the rear a scary exerience at all on my over 200kg bike but I was on a dry road and in a 50km/hr speed limit area.
    No, but there are ways to make it much more interesting.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Trying? Ha. It's fucked in the head, locking up a rear in a 50K zone, really, what was it a bloody Dasch'nhound!???????????????????
    rbgiafp.

well i hate to be pedantic.
    especially if it would mean i appear to favour cassina, more than, say, having my nuts stapled to a cat.

but he said "in a 50 zone" not "at less than 50km/h"

you are quite correct in your observation of him being a spectacular douchebag, though.

plus at less than fifty he he would have probably had his foot out and been riidng in the drain, just incase it looked like someone might want a head-on with him.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    oh wait. so did you

too many beersies.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    My reactions were probably a little slow, because I was surprised when the car in front swerved and I had to decide whether to do the same or brake. I doubt that he could have stopped in time.

The main positive was that I'd left a decent gap, so had enough time and distance to act. I'm not sure what else I could have done.
    It sounds like the main improvement would be to react a bit quicker. When the car in front of you starts to brake then you should be on your brakes pronto.
    Also - fix your mirrors, while braking hard I've often checked my mirrors in case I need to move out of the path of a following vehicle that is failing to stop in time. I don't think being rear ended is much fun while riding a motorcycle.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    It sounds like the main improvement would be to react a bit quicker. When the car in front of you starts to brake then you should be on your brakes pronto.
    Also - fix your mirrors, while braking hard I've often checked my mirrors in case I need to move out of the path of a following vehicle that is failing to stop in time. I don't think being rear ended is much fun while riding a motorcycle.
    It's easy to say that I should have reacted quicker, but that wasn't the issue. I did not, and could not, see the stationary vehicles because the vehicle in front was blocking my line of sight as I reached the crest of the hill. I was at least 2 seconds behind him which did give me time, but compounded the lack of visibility. And I started braking as soon as his brake lights came on.

That's why I posted this, because I just wasn't sure how I'd ended up in the situation.

My principal conclusion is that I should have dropped back approaching the top of the hill because I didn't have good visibility ahead. Moving to one side of the lane to help see past the car in front would have also been useful. My main mistake was to assume that I had enough time and space to stop if he did.

Yeah, I must improve the mirrors. I had checked behind coming up the hill and there was no one in sight.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    . My main mistake was to assume that I had enough time and space to stop if he did.
    é voila, as the franch would say in france.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    I'm in the process of renewing my licence and (apparently) have to sit a written test. Fortunately the questions are available online so I've had a preview. Man, they have some stupid rules here...

One of the questions was on the minimum following distance, a multichoice and the options of 1, 2, or 3 full vehicle lengths. I tried converting the 2 second rule and finally decided on 2. Wrong! 1 full vehicle length!

Okay in a snarl up, but on the open road or expressway?

No wonder so many die on the roads here.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    The 2 second rule isn't actually a rule.

Just drive around Auckland if you want to see what a joke our driver licencing is.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    The 2 second rule isn't actually a rule.

Just drive around Auckland if you want to see what a joke our driver licencing is.
    It's a simplification of this: http://legislation.govt.nz/regulatio...resel_25_a&p=1

If you run the conversion, 2 sec is actually over the legal requirement, but easier to spread and works at variable speeds, and an increased following distance is obviously safer than less...

Realistically, I'd say you can ignore (4) as there is no way you're satisfying (1) - (3) with short following distances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information