Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Near miss - learnings?

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    I'll print out (4) and tape it to the tank ...

Seriously though, I should have followed (1) and not (3).

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike

Not a how to, but mostly common sense

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Its possibly better to go to a riding school if you want to get better at handling hazardous situations
    I thought you didn't agree with riding schools on principle?

rather than seek advice on here as many on here would really need to be in your situation to get an understanding and there is no black and white rule on how to handle situations as they are never all the same or happen at the same speed. Good Luck.
    While you are correct that every situation is different it is also true that there are commonalities. Most of us have been in situations similar to that described by the OP. The advice we give is in the spirit of that apparent similarity. Like all advice (riding school or school of hard knocks) it's up to the OP to examine the advice and decide if it's worth taking on board.

My own opinion is that a combination of official rider training, one's own experience and that of others provides the most value.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Most on here appear to have situations
    that happen in slower motion than mine so have had a few seconds to take evasive action which I have not.
    again and again again and again again and again again and again.

there's a common factor that's slow.
    but it aint the motion.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Its possibly better to go to a riding school if you want to get better at handling hazardous situations rather than seek advice on here as many on here would really need to be in your situation to get an understanding and there is no black and white rule on how to handle situations as they are never all the same or happen at the same speed. Good Luck.
    I had another look at the stopping distance regs that Gremlin linked to. They do in fact cover the situation - I should have been able to stop within the length of the lane visible to me. When I followed the car in front over the crest of the hill, I wasn't able to do so.

Someone noted that earlier, but I didn't understand what they were getting at. It's clear now.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    I had another look at the stopping distance regs that Gremlin linked to. They do in fact cover the situation - I should have been able to stop within the length of the lane visible to me. When I followed the car in front over the crest of the hill, I wasn't able to do so.

Someone noted that earlier, but I didn't understand what they were getting at. It's clear now.

Another way that Gremlin explained it to me was, never put your motorcycle where your eyes have not been. In this case the crest of the hill.

Glad that you are learning this way.

Bike
    Mine
    I dont agree with riding schools only with respect to the accidents I have been in
    OK. That certainly clarifies that point. It wasn't that clear in other threads.

as they have been the fault of others/dogs and they all happened too quick to even brake so going to a riding school would have not have helped.
    If you go in to a riding school with that attitude then you will be proven right. Go in with an open mind and you'll be amazed at how much you can gain; even as pertains to the accidents you've had.

Most on here appear to have situations that happen in slower motion than mine so have had a few seconds to take evasive action which I have not.
    One thing that can give you more time to react is when your riding is almost completely subconscious. This way you can react in a few milliseconds before you even register the danger consciously. I've been there a number of times in my riding career.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    OK. That certainly clarifies that point. It wasn't that clear in other threads.

If you go in to a riding school with that attitude then you will be proven right. Go in with an open mind and you'll be amazed at how much you can gain; even as pertains to the accidents you've had.

One thing that can give you more time to react is when your riding is almost completely subconscious. This way you can react in a few milliseconds before you even register the danger consciously. I've been there a number of times in my riding career.
    I don't remember, any mention of poster saying they actually been to a riding school or taken lessons.

yes you need an open mind, for any training IMO.

maybe poster is slow in the uptake.

OP as you drive around you will notice a few locations in akl that have a similar blind spot on crests of hills.
    ones that come to mind like the one you describe are

spagetti junction-hidden ques (spelling?)

between mt Wellington and otahuhu.

just south of manukau interchange.

manurewa hill heading down to takanini.

I am sure there are more about the country, pays to be aware and position yourself, so you can see if your unfamiliar with the area.

all places I am aware that suddenly the free flowing spaced traffic can become stopped just over the brow of the hill.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post

OP as you drive around you will notice a few locations in akl that have a similar blind spot on crests of hills.
    ones that come to mind like the one you describe are

spagetti junction-hidden ques (spelling?)

between mt Wellington and otahuhu.

just south of manukau interchange.

manurewa hill heading down to takanini.

I am sure there are more about the country, pays to be aware and position yourself, so you can see if your unfamiliar with the area.

all places I am aware that suddenly the free flowing spaced traffic can become stopped just over the brow of the hill.
    Yes, there's quite a few due to terrain and blitheringly stupid design (SW motorway junction at Manukau going south). At least that has good signs now.

Waterview will undoubtedly introduce a couple more. Looks like they got a bit carried away with the flyovers.

I think the real issue for me though was not responding to the loss of visibility, and that can happen in many situations.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Actually ... the legal requirement is to be able to stop within half the distance of clear roadway ahead. The OP was clearly not able to do this.

Obviously following too closely as well.
    Negative.On a two lane road you must be able to stop in the distance visible to you.On a one lane road you must be able to stop in half the distance visible to you

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    Negative.On a two lane road you must be able to stop in the distance visible to you.On a one lane road you must be able to stop in half the distance visible to you
    double negative. (what about 3,4,5 laned carparks roads in auckland)

specifically and sematically, on a LANED road vs UNLANED road.

keep in mind "any place the public has access" is, legally, a road.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    (what about 3,4,5 laned carparks roads in auckland)
    Well, on those the idea seems to be to hook-up with the vehicle in front so that only the one at the front of the queue needs to break.

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Bike
    Mine
    Now that's a first for me. Something from AT that actually makes sense!

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Now that's a first for me. Something from AT that actually makes sense!
    its a good explanation eh?

tail gaters....uuugggghhhhhh....they grind my gears....
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Thread Information