Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Near miss - learnings?

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    its a good explanation eh?

tail gaters....uuugggghhhhhh....they grind my gears....
    They must be getting really close to grind your gears.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    They must be getting really close to grind your gears.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    from time to time they do get that close. Its usually in a line of traffic where there is nowhere to go anyway.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    2018 Suzuki GSX S750
    Yesterday afternoon, 16/01/2018, there was another crash on SH1 towards Auckland around the Papakura area between a truck and motorbike.

One hear of so many accidents lately and I was wondering if any details are ever made available somewhere of what the cause of the accidents were.

I have been riding a few years now and have been in some near misses but no accidents yet.

Been doing a few valuable Ride Forever courses as well and try to keep on learning and up my skills and awareness on the Auckland roads with the ridiculous drivers who usually sits in any lane on the motorway and will stop for no reason whatsoever. Especially going south between Manukau and Pokeno.

Anyway, I was thinking that if details of the cause of these motorbike accidents were made available other bikers might be able to use this information to make them better riders in many cases by learning to be more aware of possible hazards.

Anyone knows if such information is available?

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Keezz View Post
    Anyway, I was thinking that if details of the cause of these motorbike accidents were made available other bikers might be able to use this information to make them better riders in many cases by learning to be more aware of possible hazards.

Anyone knows if such information is available?
    All other vehicles are potential hazards. If you ride too close to them you might pay the price, if you sit in their blindspot you need to know that and be ready to get out of the way when they change lanes. At an intersection someone else could turn in front of you even when you think you have eye contact or in town someone might just blow a red light because their kids were arguing in the back seat and they never saw the signals. Like a good boy scout you should be prepared.

And of course you could be the person who changes lanes without seeing the car in your blindspot, or pulls out in front of a car at an intersection, or is worrying about what is for tea tonight and misses the red light. Works both way. Be prepared and concentrate on the job in hand which should be about getting to point B without falling off.

Not sure what people would learn from the crash reports. There are very occasionally the ones where you might think shit, that could have been me but invariably you just think what an idiot, why did they just ruin the rest of their life by doing X, Y, or Z. Or not doing it.

Not being observant, riding beyond your skill level and riding after a few beers probably sums up the main causes IMHO. Would recommend doing a defensive driving course for new riders/drivers but to be honest I would hope by the time someone gets their first learner licence they already have some skills picked up from riding their pushbike or being a passenger in a car. Call me a dreamer.

Have a look at the MSAC website as well. Last year they put this out about increasing the understanding of the cause of crashes. This one came out later. I dismissed it as simplistic bollocks but it may be of interest to a new rider not as tainted as myself. You'd think for $30 a bike they would send it out to all registered owners so they might read it rather than stick it on a website that has not been updated for two months. Hey, I'm dreaming again.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Not being observant, riding beyond your skill level and riding after a few beers probably sums up the main causes IMHO.
    Sounds about right.

Plus doing the basic stuff right, or wrong, will often mean the difference between a near miss or an accident

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    i blame jews.

well. them, and townies.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    ... Not being observant,
    When I am following traffic ... as in being in a line of traffic ... I watch for brake lights of cars way ahead of me. If I can start braking before the "ripple effect" gets to the vehicle just in front of me ... I can increase the gap between us and give me more time to stop (and for more options) if it's needed.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    When I am following traffic ... as in being in a line of traffic ... I watch for brake lights of cars way ahead of me. If I can start braking before the "ripple effect" gets to the vehicle just in front of me ... I can increase the gap between us and give me more time to stop (and for more options) if it's needed.
    Evaluate position and possible evasion options, while observing both traffic and surroundings.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    Evaluate position and possible evasion options, while observing both traffic and surroundings.
    Translated to mean ... find a suitable escape route ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Forgot to mention

become more alert

if possible slow down, create space and change down in case speed required to effect escape
    cover brake to reduce reaction lag

and KISS Keep It Simple Stupid
    Last edited by eldog; 20th January 2018 at 11:41. Reason: t

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    I learned there are even more dicks on the road then normal, had my lane split gap purposely closed on me 3 times in a few mins in stopped motorway traffic this arvo --- all white middle age balding dudes --- luckily when they move left I can move right and get past them and give them a wave

for those types of dudes it must be a real rage inducer being passed by a 125cc farmbike

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    The other night the escape route was only holding my nerve, direction, breath. Not planned, just the only one available when someone crosses the centreline toward you at 100 kph straight road at night in the darkness

learning: always be alert, even when you think nothing can happen. Plan for plan B, C, D.... even when it’s plain sailing.

READ AND UDESTAND

Thread Information