Thread: 12v Tyre Inflators

Bike
    Buell Ulysses

12v Tyre Inflators

Hey Guys, recently got a spiked tyre on the Buell smack bang in the middle of Molesworth. Although nothing short of a Cycletreads branch nearby would have got me underway, it got me thinking about puncture kits and inflators small enough to live under the seat of the bike. Has anyone had experience of the palm size 12v inflators that seem to be coming on the market. Also, any recommendations for a tubeless repair kit.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Not sure about palm sized but I have a 12V compressor which fits in a lunch box. It won't go under my seat but on anything more than an overnight trip and I stick it in the panniers. I always have a puncture repair kit in the top box which is on the bike all the time but it will fit happily under most seats. The one I have uses the single use CO2 cylinders.
    I have used the kit once but the flat happened at home so was able to use the compressor rather than the CO2 in any event. The repair worked well and happened to a half worn front which lasted the remainder of the life of the tyre.
    The 12V compressor inflated the tyre quickly enough.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    antifreeze and #6 shot.

or you can buy sime slime, bluegoo, etc.

no experience with palm sized compressors, but even the "good" 12v car ones: aren't. small pistons (take ages) overheat easy (no oil sump)

Bike
    Sold
    I gutted one of those 12v Arlec tyre inflators that the Warehouse sell as the actual compressor inside is small enough to sit under my seat. Chopped off the cigarette lighter plug and put on croc clips. I carry the Gryyp brand tyre plugs that just screw in and snap off - really convenient on the roadside when you've got a puncture. This setup saved my bacon in the Waikato last year - only time I've ever had to use it.

Photos attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3017.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	845.2 KB 
ID:	328469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3016.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	786.5 KB 
ID:	328470  

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I gutted one of those 12v Arlec tyre inflators that the Warehouse sell as the actual compressor inside is small enough to sit under my seat. Chopped off the cigarette lighter plug and put on croc clips. I carry the Gryyp brand tyre plugs that just screw in and snap off - really convenient on the roadside when you've got a puncture. This setup saved my bacon in the Waikato last year - only time I've ever had to use it.

Photos attached

Really helpful info Blackbird, will do.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    A little bicycle hand pump. ..
    Surprisingly efficient...
    East to use ,cheap easy to store.
    Endless supply of air...

And yes I have used it in anger and repaired punctures multiple times....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    A little bicycle hand pump. ..
    Surprisingly efficient...
    East to use ,cheap easy to store.
    Endless supply of air...

And yes I have used it in anger and repaired punctures multiple times....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ym50_doc-02-yds3.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	328483
    Yamaha YDS3 had the brackets for one under the tank
    Just like a raleigh 20

Name:	20_solitaire.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	328484
    I have heard stories of people making up adaptors and hoses to go in spark plug holes to use the cylinder to pump up tires more so on desert off roaders.

Name:	PQE1_h2.gif 
Views:	23 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	328485
    http://www.aerostich.com/engineair-power-pump.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

I did a truck tyre in a paddock using a 12v pump. Blew up the tube to find the leak, again to check the leak after repair, and then inflated to pressure. It was up to the job, used it for years after.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Have heard they are very slow to inflate a tyre. You would be best to use a compressed air inflater.

Were you feeling 'pressured' to keep up.

OP- I have a slime and Bell pump, both do the job but you will get left behind by the group ride.
    Last edited by Voltaire; 13th February 2017 at 06:01. Reason: trying to aboid PD
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I have a SCA "thunder" compressor that lives in the tail bag. I use it when ever I have to adjust tyre pressures. Seems to work pretty well. Hasn't exploded yet anyway...

Since I bought it, I have not had a puncture to test it on. But last time I did have a puncture (miles from anywhere) I wished I had had one. CO2 cylinders will only get you so far (especially if you fix the wrong "hole" the first time through the repair...)
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post

I have a slime .

I have a Slime unit as well. Has done a LOT of work as that includes about 28,000 km (2trips) in outback Oz where it was adjusting tyre pressures frequently and for 2 bikes.
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Coming on the market? I've had this one since 2011: http://www.advdesigns.com/mitipukitba.html

It's bounced around in my GSA for 100k+ now, inflated tyres from flat several times and also pressure adjusted so many tyres one after another it was too hot to hold. Careful of the cheap ones as they don't last... don't want it giving up on you when you suddenly need it in the middle of nowhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2012 VFR800
    I also have a Slime and so far I have no issues with it.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Small but decent bicycle pump hidden under bodywork. Have to use a Allen key to get it out but who cares? Also a bit tedious, but not really considering the alternative, its therapeutic. Zen and somesuch.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information