Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Standing on Pegs earn me a fine in town?

Bike
    BMWG450X

Will Standing on Pegs earn me a fine in town?

Hi Guys,

I have a BMWF800 which is obviously a suitable bike for standing on the pegs.

I recently was returning from Duedin to Nelson on a long urgent ride with little in the way of stopping. Through towns in 50kmph areas I was standing on the pegs to rest my ample, but not bike conditioned arse. I was very nervous though about seeing Mr Popo while doing so.... Thankfully I did not!

So it got me wondering, I have no idea if this would be illegal or not? Is it a grey area like lane splitting? Or a definate no-no?

Has anyone ever actually had a ticket for this?

Rastus, I would appreciate your thoughts? To me, it isnt a thing about safety, as the bike is made/setup for it and I only do it in 50kmph areas. But the last thing I need is a court date for careless riding or something...

Thanks Guys, try not to rip me a new one . I honestly have never heard of anyone having an opinion if this is OK or not...

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Always wondered that myself, but often stand up going through towns, and have done for years, hell I stood up all the way round rocks road just this afternoon. Some good views too.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Not illegal ... but you must be seen to be under control.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I've seen it done through town. No valid reason really other than trying to look dumb!

If your arse needs a break two minutes standing on the pegs will do nothing. Have a coffee break.

Maybe a piece of lemon cake as well.

Mmmmmm lemon cake.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Yep standing on the pegs is a good thing to do on an adv bike. Standing up for a couple min stretch is actually quite relaxing! You are however unable to see your rear vision mirrors so it will be a discretionary thing with the cops. So in heavy traffic you are going to attract attention, in a one gas station town you would be sweet. The 70kmh zone coming into town is maybe a better place for the standing up? Be careful and no probs!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Virtually everybody I've ever ridden with has done that. It probably helps if you start doing it before you need to.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    It was on the good
    Yep, double demerits if you are ginger as well.

And on Tuesdays.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    As long as you are in control of the bike I can't see it being a problem.

I tend to have the bike on cruise control when standing at 210 kmh. It's hard to see the speedo from up there.

It also changes the angle to the brake pedal and your hands are at a different angle to the levers.

We trained as patrol cops doing slow speed man hoovering while standing. It'd take a pedant to see much wrong in it.

Still, lots of tickets are earned by failing the attitude test.

I personally stand to stretch, especially on longer trips. And to see over the walls at nudist beaches.

Bike
    wr450f
    I stood up all the way through Foxton xmas before last on a borrowed BMW F650. There was a police car 2 positions ahead of me, who pulled over and got right up behind me as I continued to stand. I think he was seeing if I'd do anything stupid, while he ran my plate. He/she ended up turning off the highway after a while.

I don't think they care. Rastuscat's reply seems to suggest so..
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    which brings me back to point Z. - use premium fuel.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    And the right plugs. And condoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    never really believed in em. which i suppose is why my bike runs rough and i have kids.

Bike
    BMWG450X
    Thanks Guys,
    I completely understand the comment about the attitude test, their sandpit, their rules n all.....

So seeing as how nobody has responded as to actually receiving a ticket standing, and I am cautious to do so mainly in small towns, at 50kmph and light or no traffic that I should be safe (ish). Of course nothing stops an officer having a bad day and making an example..... But sound like in general it would be OK....

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

I personally stand to stretch And to see over the walls at nudist beaches.
    Gives you something to hang your towel on I guess?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I always stand up a little when going over bumps on the earthquake damaged roads in ChCh as my suspension is too firm to absorb the bumps very much.
    Poor effort - go faster, if you nail it you can skim the top of the bumps making it much smoother.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Will Standing on Pegs earn me a fine in
    town?

...maybe.

if it's the pillion pegs, and you're front wheel is high, high in the breeze.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Askor View Post
    I stood up all the way through Foxton xmas before last on a borrowed BMW F650. ..
    More improtantly, were you able to hold your breath while crossing the bridge just south of Foxton?

Bike
    Honda
    When the Gluteus Maximus needs attending too (apart from the obvious) I find that dangling your legs strangely helps ease the increasing pain around that area, including the hips and just as importantly, my knees. Performing this technique on a bike also has it's advantages.
    '' i'd let you touch me.''

Sorry fulla but I am spoken for.

Thread Information