Thread: Seats / Landing Gear

Bike
    04 GSXR 1000
    Blog Entries

Seats / Landing Gear

Hi, I have a friend who is looking at getting a Honda Goldwing. Being a sports bike rider I know nothing about these bikes other than they are big, have so many gadgets n gizmos, and they look heavy...

Questions Ive have...

Landing gear. The rider wants this on the bike but I have no clue if this is something that can be purchased in NZ or has to be imported. Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Is landing gear a common thing for these bikes?

The other problem is the original seat is too high for the new rider. Whats the best way to go with this?

Take to an upholstery place?

Remove the seat cover yourself, shave down foam put cover back on?

Purchase an after market seat? If so is this something that can be ordered thru any bike shop? Or in NZ??

Hopefully someone out there will know something about these bikes, too complex for me to ride lol!!!
    My bass is such a slapper.......I cant stop fingering those strings

Bike
    Honda
    One of my female friends can flat foot it on a Goldwing, she is 1:57cm tall or 5'2'' in the old money.
    Landing gear = seriously? these two issues (height/lack of confidence to hold it up) suggests to me that your friend is looking at the wrong bike.
    '' i'd let you touch me.''

Sorry fulla but I am spoken for.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Ask Flub, I believe he has done a lot of research on these.

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    I've done lots of research as health issues mean that I no longer have the leg strength to support my Goldwing at a standstill with pillion, although on good days I'm ok solo. I will be fitting Tow Pac wheels this weekend (www.towpacusa.com).

Although the landing gear type wheels look like the best of both worlds, in that you have the low speed stability but still being on two wheels once moving, they have a big safety flaw. Our roads have a camber, which means that when you roll to a stop and the wheels come down, the bike is actually held up leaning slightly to the left. When you move off and lift the landing gear the bike will immediately turn to the left, requiring you to counter-steer to correct. If you're not expecting it you're into the kerb or off the road. These systems may be ok on flat American roads but not here.

FYI the Tow Pac with 14" wheels cost $7,500 delivered to Hamilton, including all customs fees and gst.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    The GL1800 has a lower seating position than the GL1500.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thread Information