Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    My bike was built in 2013. It was first reg in 2014.

People who know the brand know there was a model update in 2014, so know when my bike was made.

It's not a good idea to just rely on registration details. They're only as good as the system which records them.

Some bikes run around on a dealer plate to get them from one year to the next.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    My bike was built in 2013. It was first reg in 2014.

People who know the brand know there was a model update in 2014, so know when my bike was made.
    Same with my bike, frame colour and a few other details changed, so anyone who knows what they're looking at will know what year range it was built.

If all else fails check the VIN number, google is your friend.....
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by G4L4XY View Post
    Didn't want to go into too much detail. Basically the ad was for a specific year and in fact the bike is two years older and it wasn't stated "first rego'd"

I'm getting a full refund at their loss. Well my loss as well. Two days travelling there and back. Complete waste of time.
    So what are you grizzling about? The waste of time ? Shit - you got a day on the road didn't you?
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    '13 Repsol Thou'
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    So what are you grizzling about? The waste of time ? Shit - you got a day on the road didn't you?
    The false advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Turns out I was just being a n00b.

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.
    I totally agree.
    It's ok for those of us that have been around bikes for years and know what to look for and what questions to ask.
    I don't like the way dealers don't advertise a bike for exactly what it is. Seem's a bit sneaky to me. People with no experience will get caught out. Its the sort of thing you'd expect from a car dealer.
    flashg

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G4L4XY View Post
    Didn't want to go into too much detail. Basically the ad was for a specific year and in fact the bike is two years older and it wasn't stated "first rego'd"

I'm getting a full refund at their loss. Well my loss as well. Two days travelling there and back. Complete waste of time.
    Suzuki introduced a few "New" models over the years ... built from parts unused from previous model lines ... with little difference to previously built models. Often a mix of parts from other models and a different paint job.

People buy the new bikes often sold new at a lower price than earlier models ... without the buyers being aware the parts may have been "Old stock" and built a few years previously. The 79/81 GS1000S models were an example. The RF900 was sold at one stage for $10,000 when earlier/comparable models were sold $15,000 plus ...

But ... on this "issue" you have ... is solely based on YOU not doing your homework first. If you traveled sight unseen/money paid ... to get the bike ... any costs you incurred is your problem. If you were looking for a specific model to buy ... the onus is on you to ensure the model they had was the one you wanted.

Are you actually getting a refund ... or just going to ask for a refund .. ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    The Suzuki VZ800/M50 is a case in point. In 2009 or 2010 Suzuki remodelled the M50, it went from an unshrouded headlight and a ducks arse rear mudguard to a shrouded headlight and a wrap around rear mudguard and looked like a little M109 clone.

You'll see a number of 2009 M50s with the unshrouded headlight and a ducks arse rear mudguard advertised as 2010 or later models because they were registered in that year. With a model change as obvious as that, a new owner can lose out on resale value if they aren't aware.
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    The Suzuki VZ800/M50 is a case in point. In 2009 or 2010 Suzuki remodelled the M50, it went from an unshrouded headlight and a ducks arse rear mudguard to a shrouded headlight and a wrap around rear mudguard and looked like a little M109 clone.

You'll see a number of 2009 M50s with the unshrouded headlight and a ducks arse rear mudguard advertised as 2010 or later models because they were registered in that year. With a model change as obvious as that, a new owner can lose out on resale value if they aren't aware.
    You see the same thing often, and the biggest problem, as you mentioned, is that you've already lost a year or two of depreciation before you even finalise the deal.

E.g. this "2016" Speed Triple which is actually a 2015 (speaking of which when are they going to do a proper discount on this thing? It's been hanging around for well over 1.5 years and the new model has been out the whole time).

http://www.bayride.co.nz/used-bikes/...-94-2016_1120/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	328809

Bike
    '13 Repsol Thou'
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    But ... on this "issue" you have ... is solely based on YOU not doing your homework first. If you traveled sight unseen/money paid ... to get the bike ... any costs you incurred is your problem. If you were looking for a specific model to buy ... the onus is on you to ensure the model they had was the one you wanted. Are you actually getting a refund ... or just going to ask for a refund .. ???
    One would imagine an "authorized dealership" would know their stuff and not falsely advertise something. I'm getting a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Turns out I was just being a n00b.

Thread Information