Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice

Bike
    '13 Repsol Thou'

Advice

If a motorcycle is listed as say a 2016 however the frame/chassis is actually a 2014 so it took 2yrs to sell from new. Is that legal?

If someone was to buy something as explained above and then find out it's not a 2016 what are their options?

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Turns out I was just being a n00b.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by G4L4XY View Post
    If a motorcycle is listed as say a 2016 however the frame/chassis is actually a 2014 so it took 2yrs to sell from new. Is that legal?

If someone was to buy something as explained above and then find out it's not a 2016 what are their options?
    No it wouldn't be legal, the year of manufacture is misrepresented. Did you buy the bike from a dealer? Was it advertised as a 2016 model or first registered in 2016? If it was sold as a 2016 you'd have recourse through the CGA.

https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles...guarantees-act

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650

I'm not understanding what you're asking. If it was "as explained above" then you knew it was a 2014 first registered in 2016 before buying it? If that's the case, then obviously yes it's legal.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Hmmmm interesting.

I say the dealer should always notify you if it is a new old stock sale. Suzuki have run their Summer Fest sales for absolute years selling off 'new old stock' in the manner you describe. Generally speaking in their defense there are F-all changes on the model other than colour - ie a 2015 Bussa new, zero kms - five grand under rrp of a '2017' which is the same bike but now in arctic white instead of 2015's pearl white ......

Plus I am aware of dealers who have been caught out in the same manner on trade-ins going by the first rego date not the made date.

Does it matter? Is a born 28 years ago blonde better than a born 30 years ago blonde?

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post

Is a born 28 years ago blonde better than a born 30 years ago blonde?
    Is the overall condition the same and will they hold their value equally?
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Hmmmm interesting.

I say the dealer should always notify you if it is a new old stock sale.

Generally speaking in their defense there are F-all changes on the model

Does it matter? Is a born 28 years ago blonde better than a born 30 years ago blonde?
    They don't always notify you, speaking from experience, it pays to know to ask.

maybe F-all changes but it's something the buyer should be made aware of.
    leaves a sour taste when you find out, you expect a current year bike and it's not.
    esp if it's a few more years older. Thinking about usual rubber parts that are continually deteriorating.

but really doesn't matter usually... go for the younger model, easier to train.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Hmmmm interesting.

I say the dealer should always notify you if it is a new old stock sale. Suzuki have run their Summer Fest sales for absolute years selling off 'new old stock' in the manner you describe. Generally speaking in their defense there are F-all changes on the model other than colour - ie a 2015 Bussa new, zero kms - five grand under rrp of a '2017' which is the same bike but now in arctic while instead of 2015's pearl white ......

Plus I am aware of dealers who have been caught out in the same manner on trade-ins going by the first rego date not the made date.

It makes a big difference if the new model has better stuff like electronics and motor design etc., like the latest Suzuki and ZX10r, the two year old models might be quite different.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one

you havent given enough information for anyone to tell you the next best step.

Do you own the bike?

Have you owned the bike for a while, and just realised that it is not the year / model you thought it was when you purchased it, and are upset about it?

Have you owned it for a while, and are trying to sell, it, and have had a potential buyer raise the question?

are you wanting to buy the bike?

It happens quite often, say a 2000 model bike sits on the showroom floor, and gets sold brand new, in 2002. The person at the aa or whatever mistakenly enters the year that the bike if first registered, rather than the year of manufacture, easy enough mistake when dealing with a brand new vehicle being registered for the first time.

AS long as when the bike is changing hands, it is advertised clearly, i.e. "this bike is a 2000 model, but is registered as a 2002 model, due to it being sold to its first owner in 2002" then it is fine. Really, something illegal has only happened if it has been knowingly misrepresented.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    My experience was that they 'forgot' to mention it during the sale process.

at the time I thought it was a bit underhand.

when I mentioned it the sales person looked slightly embrassed.

if it was explained up front then no worries.

over it now.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Street Triple R

So what you are saying is you did no due diligence whatever, and now you're whining. Suck it up. Princess.

What is your loss?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
    It makes a big difference if the new model has better stuff like electronics and motor design etc., like the latest Suzuki and ZX10r, the two year old models might be quite different.
    In the above case - yes. I was referencing models that change F-all for a couple of years. Example 2005 -2007 Honda hornets - colour changes only, it was interesting to see parts they changed colours on, not just the bodywork. SV1000. GSXR750, Triumph Bonnie. That stuff.

OP will need to be more bike specific.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    My ducati is a 1998 model, actually built in 1997, registered as a 2000 because as above i assume thats when it was first registered.

No dramas when buying as was advertised as a 98 rego'd in 2000, most people aren't as pedantic as me checking vin numbers, and no difference between years.

Its not that hard to get the vin and figure out what it actually is, before dropping the cash. And I don't mind 12 monthly wofs......

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Factory frame number plate will generally have the build month and year on it. If not the brake lines have a made date on them but this cannot be relied upon as the brake line date is often a year earlier than bike build date. Logical as they probably order XX thousand of them for their predicted yearly build.

Bike
    A
    Need more info from OP.

I've done the "buy old model" thing. Bike made in one year, first registered 2 years after manufacture year.

As for the 28 yr vs 30 yr old blondes, too many variables. Need more info

Bike
    '13 Repsol Thou'
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    you havent given enough information for anyone to tell you the next best step.

Do you own the bike?
    Didn't want to go into too much detail. Basically the ad was for a specific year and in fact the bike is two years older and it wasn't stated "first rego'd"

I'm getting a full refund at their loss. Well my loss as well. Two days travelling there and back. Complete waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Turns out I was just being a n00b.

Thread Information