Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the realistic minimum number of motorbikes you need?

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    S-1, S being separation point when your partner has had enough and leaves.

If you're single, fill your boots.
    and if she leaves, more room in the garage!

I *am* single, so I will!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnie View Post
    That's not a question that I am allowed to answer - my financial controller tells me the answer is one and only one , I have to sell current bike before replacing it
    Yeah - I got that response. I replied I had eight motorcycles in my shed when I met her - I have two now - what's the problem?

I'm still not allowed a third ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Street Triple
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Yeah - I got that response. I replied I had eight motorcycles in my shed when I met her - I have two now - what's the problem?

I'm still not allowed a third ...

I was told that "you can only ride 1 at a time'. So, I used handbags as an analogy and was told they are needed for different occasions. Exacty my point!!!

I'm still only allowed 1 bike.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Relephant
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    The realistic number of bikes is dictated by the floor space of the shed. The maximum number is reached when you have to breathe in to get past the bikes without bending a mirror. Once the main shed is full, the tool shed offers space for one or two trials bikes. They have to be trials bikes as they are the only things with enough lock to get through a standard size door.
    Similarly, verandas offer adequate storage but access to the washing line is paramount. A potential domestic flash point and mirror risk.
    With the main shed, tool shed and veranda full you can start looking at the access potential of the main residence. French doors and ranch sliders offer unlimited scope of entry. Then you need to think about suitable floor coverings and whether a bike in the living room will obscure your view of the MotoGP coverage. Another domestic flash point in the making if the paddock stand causes a trip hazard.

I recently found out that it pays to keep a close eye on Versatile kit set garage specials. You can get a lot of shed for not a lot of money sometimes.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    The realistic number of bikes is dictated by the floor space of the shed. The maximum number is reached when you have to breathe in to get past the bikes without bending a mirror. Once the main shed is full, the tool shed offers space for one or two trials bikes. They have to be trials bikes as they are the only things with enough lock to get through a standard size door.
    Similarly, verandas offer adequate storage but access to the washing line is paramount. A potential domestic flash point and mirror risk.
    With the main shed, tool shed and veranda full you can start looking at the access potential of the main residence. French doors and ranch sliders offer unlimited scope of entry. Then you need to think about suitable floor coverings and whether a bike in the living room will obscure your view of the MotoGP coverage. Another domestic flash point in the making if the paddock stand causes a trip hazard.

I recently found out that it pays to keep a close eye on Versatile kit set garage specials. You can get a lot of shed for not a lot of money sometimes.

...this has been my problem/philosophy for the last twenty years. I built a big shed, 200sq meters, gave about quarter of it to my wife for her business, the rest being for me to retire to home to turn wood into money so I didn't have to slave for other cunts on building sites...I never did manage to get off my work sites and the shed became a tightly packed motorcycle storage system with me spending more time moving bikes about so I could make space to actually work on wood. I built an extension 'worksop for wood related shit...it became the bike workshop with the flloor area covered in bikes for repair...I built another lean to, twenty years ago, this was to shelter up to five or so chord of firewood...it eventually was full of bikes...I gave up shifting shit recently and gave into the notion that my sheds were now dedicated bike space/ storage/garaging/museum...I built a 16meter long by 5.5 meter lean to off my big shed to store timber and work on...guess what...I just noticed the other day that there were bike parts and project stuff creeping in there too...passion, sickness, love...I am going to get rid of a lot of bike related shit and some bikes very soon, I promise myself this annually...most bikes I own actually run which is not bad for a busy cunt like me that really doesn't have any spare time for owning even one bike, let alone spend most of my life riding and racing them...I reckon three or four bikes is too many but not quite enough...

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...this has been my problem/philosophy for the last twenty years. I built a big shed, 200sq meters, gave about quarter of it to my wife for her business, the rest being for me to retire to home to turn wood into money so I didn't have to slave for other cunts on building sites...I never did manage to get off my work sites and the shed became a tightly packed motorcycle storage system with me spending more time moving bikes about so I could make space to actually work on wood. I built an extension 'worksop for wood related shit...it became the bike workshop with the flloor area covered in bikes for repair...I built another lean to, twenty years ago, this was to shelter up to five or so chord of firewood...it eventually was full of bikes...I gave up shifting shit recently and gave into the notion that my sheds were now dedicated bike space/ storage/garaging/museum...I built a 16meter long by 5.5 meter lean to off my big shed to store timber and work on...guess what...I just noticed the other day that there were bike parts and project stuff creeping in there too...passion, sickness, love...I am going to get rid of a lot of bike related shit and some bikes very soon, I promise myself this annually...most bikes I own actually run which is not bad for a busy cunt like me that really doesn't have any spare time for owning even one bike, let alone spend most of my life riding and racing them...I reckon three or four bikes is too many but not quite enough...
    "Hi My name is Ellipsis, and I'm an Addict"
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Peter Egan wrote an article about this, long time since I read it but I should have it here. He at various times had largish collections and was coming at the question from the other end, what is the ideal number before you have too many. From memory he decided on five. It's raining, I may see if I can find the article after lunch.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    A Japper
    I was told that "you can only ride 1 at a time'. So, I used handbags as an analogy and was told they are needed for different occasions. Exacty my point!!!

I'm still only allowed 1 bike.
    I've heard of this type of thing before, don't despair, there is a way out of it.

Firstly, get her to actually list reasons why you can't have another motorbike. NB: It can get a bit tricky and they do try things like the hackneyed "happy wife happy life" maxim, but it's easily countered. Keep us posted.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    So I tied her up and spend the evening arguing on the net with katflap
    fixed it for ya
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Street Triple
    Quote Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
    I've heard of this type of thing before, don't despair, there is a way out of it.

Firstly, get her to actually list reasons why you can't have another motorbike. NB: It can get a bit tricky and they do try things like the hackneyed "happy wife happy life" maxim, but it's easily countered. Keep us posted.
    I'm actually already resigned to this . The maxim "happy wife , happy life" certainly rings true . Current bike is for sale at the moment, and she's given her blessing to me buying new or very near new for the upgrade. No point pushing my luck - small gains

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Bike
    A Japper
    I'm actually already resigned to this . The maxim "happy wife , happy life" certainly rings true . Current bike is for sale at the moment, and she's given her blessing to me buying new or very near new for the upgrade. No point pushing my luck - small gains

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Are ya sure? Don't want to try "happy spouse, happy house" on her?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    That wasn't hard, the article "How Many Bikes Do You Really Need?" appeared in the March '97 issue of Cycle World, in case any of you have the complete CW collection.

His answer, after much serious discussion with friends over generous quantities of tequila, was five:
    Sportsbike
    Sport Tourer
    Dirt bike
    A great big hog of some kind ("not necessarily Harley" but his was, at the time, a Road King).
    An old crock of some sort, be it a Vincent or an early Honda or ? A project bike.

He wrote that more than five and the riding time on each is spread too thin and it's hard to keep up with insurance, batteries and oil changes. OK, smart chargers are common now but we have WoFs and Rego. He wasn't concerned about space so much as IIRC he had a purpose built building for bikes and his band.

His five seems about right, in which case I can have four more? Better buy a Lotto ticket.

"In Cuervo veritas"
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    That wasn't hard, the article "How Many Bikes Do You Really Need?" appeared in the March '97 issue of Cycle World, in case any of you have the complete CW collection.

His answer, after much serious discussion with friends over generous quantities of tequila, was five:
    Sportsbike
    Sport Tourer
    Dirt bike
    A great big hog of some kind ("not necessarily Harley" but his was, at the time, a Road King).
    An old crock of some sort, be it a Vincent or an early Honda or ? A project bike.

He wrote that more than five and the riding time on each is spread too thin and it's hard to keep up with insurance, batteries and oil changes. OK, smart chargers are common now but we have WoFs and Rego. He wasn't concerned about space so much as IIRC he had a purpose built building for bikes and his band.

His five seems about right, in which case I can have four more? Better buy a Lotto ticket.

"In Cuervo veritas"
    Huh. I must have read that because I have Cycle and Cycle World going back to 1982.

Its probably in LEANINGS too.

Cycle World is a shadow of its former self now.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Cycle World is a shadow of its former self now.
    I agree - if my subscription was not so cheap and I had to pay NZ retail I reckon I'd flick through them in the shop and probably only purchase five or so a year.

And I swear they are getting thinner and thinner. I'm inclined to e-mail them and tell them to reintroduce American Flyers.

Thread Information