Thread: triumph 955i reliability????.

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr

triumph 955i reliability????.

As the title reads.

I haven't had my pre89 race bike out in over a year for two resons.
    1/ boss got ill and work took over.
    2/ got into the trail riding which has a lot of riding closer to where I am located.

Thinking about selling the whole shebang incl parts ( race bike + spare running bike + spare running motor) and have a buyer for it and wants to swap a 1999 triumph 955i with 40000 miles on the clock.
    Its not pristeen but is pretty tidy with a little corosion on a few bolt heads. My question is how reliable are these bike as opposed to the jap stuff?? and what are they like service/cost wise??.

Have always liked the triumphs but the some of the costs associated with them.
    Cheers on thoughts>
    winding up stucky since ages ago

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I can't help you, mine is a 1050. You may be able to find some info on this site: http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I can't help you, mine is a 1050. You may be able to find some info on this site: http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/
    Thanks pritch.
    I was going to pm you seeing as you have a triple:

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi cowboy View Post
    Thanks pritch.
    I was going to pm you seeing as you have a triple:
    I didn't know anything about the 955 engine. When I was looking at the RAT site though I see that the 1050 is pretty much the same engine bored out.

Triumphs these days are probably comparable to Japanese bikes for reliability. The regulator rectifiers are suspect and the 675 r/rs were famous for giving up the ghost.
    The advice is to replace the standard item with a Shindengen mosfet part if it goes. When mine died I didn't want to wait so I bought the Triumph item 'cause they had it in stock. This advice though applies to most brands not just Triumph. I believe R1s and CBR1000RRs may come with mosfet regulator rectifiers but not normal road bikes.

The triple is a great road engine, silky smooth grunt from idle. As for reliability I guess the acid test will be when they start using the new 765 in Moto2 in 2018 or whenever. Although that'll be a bit late for you. And me.

I've done over 20,000k on mine and apart from the regulator rectifier there was a petrol leak and that's about all the unscheduled excitement. There was drama with heated grips but that was nothing to do with Triumph.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Somethings good about them as even old and racking up the kms they still demand a reasonable dollar.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    As for reliability I guess the acid test will be when they start using the new 765 in Moto2 in 2018 or whenever. Although that'll be a bit late for you. And me.
    Speaking of...... The launch videos and reviews are interesting. To say the least. I won't clutter this venerable thread, you can all have a fossick on youtoob.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    Triumphs these days are probably comparable to Japanese bikes for reliability. The regulator rectifiers are suspect and the 675 r/rs were famous for giving up the ghost.
    The advice is to replace the standard item with a Shindengen mosfet part if it goes. When mine died I didn't want to wait so I bought the Triumph item 'cause they had it in stock. This advice though applies to most brands not just Triumph. I believe R1s and CBR1000RRs may come with mosfet regulator rectifiers but not normal road bikes.

The triple is a great road engine, silky smooth grunt from idle.
    Everything he said.
    Moved mine on at 135,000 km at which point it was using a little oil cos the valve stem seals needed replacing. Had done the MOSFET thing and the fuel gauge sender float became a sink and needed attention occasionally which was actually dead easy to do.
    It was bought by a guy from Chch and is probably still going.
    Heard a story that there is one on display in the Hinkley factory foyer with over 250,000 MILES on it.
    Parts are NOT cheap however - wanted nearly $1k for a reg/rec. MOSFET unit ex USA was about 1/3 of that. Just as well it didn't need many parts.
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Took it for a spin last night and really enjoyed it.
    Quick steering, plenty grunt/torque.
    rear brake is shit though and I mean shit.
    Hardly felt it and was told that is what there all like.
    front were good.

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi cowboy View Post
    rear brake is shit though and I mean shit.
    Hardly felt it and was told that is what there all like.
    front were good.
    Rear brake on mine was never great but I got used to it and could get some useful work if I leaned on it.

After the initial WTF, it never bothered me.
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    Its yellow. Sometimes a green one
    Blog Entries

955 engine

The 955 is a good engine. They are reliable and no more expensive to service than a comparable Japanese bike. The rear brake is pretty average as you've discovered but a change of brake fluid and some quality brake pads will help (a little)

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    To be fair I find most rear brakes on the modern bikes I have ridden lacking in feel and take a bit of use to before you get to know them. I also wonder about single sided set-ups like my Ducati and various other bikes - given the brake is on the same side and not far from the rear sprocket and chain there must be a small amount of airborne chain oil getting on the disk thus reducing it's effectiveness.

Still - my front brakes are very very good, rear gets little use. BUT when test riding the demo bike a bird took out the front brakes and I had rear only on the way home - I discovered it was usable it applied with some guts.

Having written the above I also think feel out of a rear brake is difficult to transmit through a size ten boot designed with armor etc to protect.

Thread Information