Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whanganui River Road

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1

Whanganui River Road

Anyone ridden this recently? Anything to watch for?

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Corners, quite a few of them. Been a while. They were "resealing" then, am sure the chips have been brushed aside....probably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    2013 DL650A V-Strom McCruise Added
    Did it over Xmas , fully sealed .

Great ride I turned off at Raetihi then headed to Pipiriki on my V-Strom 650 and on to Wanganui .

Great to get away from the traffic .

Ride might be a little different on a R1 though

Bike
    suzuki
    locals cutting the corners with bull bars, especially on dole day

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    It's a RURAL road. Blind corners ... mobs of sheep ... 4WD's parked in the middle of the road (two side by side with the drivers chatting is common) ... Wandering livestock (singular horses, sheep, dogs, cows, goats etc) ... Camper vans parked/driving indiscriminately on or near the road ... Tractors of various sizes (moving or parked) ... to name but a few.

Keeping left is not the option many road users in these areas take.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Thanks everyone. I'd heard that there'd been some major repairs, but sounds like it's finished.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. I'd heard that there'd been some major repairs, but sounds like it's finished.

Remember it's a river road ... parts of it slide into the river now and then. Some parts can be one lane with little warning.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    As reasonable has said: go from Raetihi if you can. Don't expect it to be a fast ride, take a day and stop at the historic places - it is a magic place to ride/drive through.

If you are thinking of doing the Paraparas, be aware that there are a number of sections of one lane road controlled by traffic lights and the surface in those bits can be a bit rough, plus a few other short one lane sections.

At the southern end of the road it climbs up to a "gap" before descending to the main highway - stop there for magnificent views back up the river.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    It's a RURAL road. Blind corners ... mobs of sheep ... 4WD's parked in the middle of the road (two side by side with the drivers chatting is common) ... Wandering livestock (singular horses, sheep, dogs, cows, goats etc) ... Camper vans parked/driving indiscriminately on or near the road ... Tractors of various sizes (moving or parked) ... to name but a few.

Keeping left is not the option many road users in these areas take.
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Remember it's a river road ... parts of it slide into the river now and then. Some parts can be one lane with little warning.
    When did you last ride/drive through there?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    When did you last ride/drive through there?
    It matters little when ... it is his option to ignore any (or all) of the warnings ...

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob

I wouldn't ride my bike up there if you don't like getting new seal and tar over everything, they have and are still working hard out on the road repairs. plenty of Papa areas across the road in places that are treacherous if wet as well.

I travelled this road on the 8th and 9th of Feb, we spent quite some time trying to clean a brand new 4x4 double cab after we got back to Wanganui, sadly all the stone chips remained.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    We rode it last Friday. Unfortunately we were late to Raetihi as one of the bikes needed repairs after being rear ended in Auckland, so we didn't have enough time to appreciate the experience.

Most of the road is OK, but not so much the local drivers. They don't slow down or leave you much room!

There were a couple of quite rough sections that the R1 didn't enjoy, but other parts of the road were great fun.

I'd definitely ride it again, hopefully when they've made more progress with the repairs.

There wasn't much water in the upper part of the river, which looked very muddy.

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Looks like you had great weather for it. Definitely needs a bit of free time to stop frequently and enjoy the surroundings, Yes the locals can be a menace to other motorists, but luckily your were for-warned. I met a Guy from Masterton who was staying at the 151 London street accommodation on Saturday, he was going for a ride up the river road on his very nice looking Ducati with passenger and returning, I thought leaving at 1530 was pushing it for an enjoyable look around, I pre warned him off the other vehicles he may encounter on the road and to use the left side of his lane as much as he possibly could.

Bike
    bandit
    It's a good RURAL Road. It's not wide in places so don't do it fast ... you never know when you are going to meet a local coming the other way ... The second picture of Moise's above is of a wide part of the road
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    We rode it last Friday...
    Good to know that you got to experience it, definitely a road worth riding or driving again - several times...

Drove down once after a really good storm - trees down and slips - and the whole river was very atmospheric and a totally different feeling to the time before that when it had been blue-dome-day weather for several weeks prior.

Thread Information