Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kapiti Expressway opened today 24/02/17- it is awesome!

Bike
    R1200GSA
    The wire rope barrier outrage is a bit of a snorefest really. Apart from one fatality which happened at speeds which made the item being crashed into irrelevant, nobody can actually point to a time when someone was cut like cheese.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    turn off SH1 at Manakau and you can take the back roads into Otaki past the race course. If you have no love of stop start its a lovely wee road, nice for a bit of a blat on the bike as well.
    Still go to get back on to the main road to get across the river.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Still go to get back on to the main road to get across the river.
    of course but its a more pleasant way to get to the actual choke point which is the roundabout on the north side. Stay in the queue if you prefer.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    The cops were out in force today
    drove it twice over the weekend, set gps and it saved me six minutes, bottle neck at otaki the other side though....
    one thing is it's such a good road it's easy to speed, my spped warning is my gps which is reliable and beeps at whatever i've set the margin, but it doesn't work on this road as the road doesn't exist in it's data, there is no applied speed limit to let the machine tell you you're over so just letting others who drive that way know...

Bike
    R1200GSA
    I really wish that the typical kiwi driver would learn how to merge into free flowing traffic. What is so fucking difficult about moving from one lane to another in such a way that you do not impede the movement of others? Coming on at the Te Moana on ramp this morning for the first time, a loooooong merge lane with a clearly marked limit of 100kph (you know, the same as the damn road you are about to join) and there is a line of cars doing 60kph who just pull out in front of cars already on the expressway already at cruise speed (somewhere between 100 and 105kph) If you want to travel slower than traffic, fine! Just don't move across in front of traffic clearly moving faster than you are. Boy does that grind my gears....

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    I really wish that the typical kiwi driver would learn how to merge into free flowing traffic. What is so fucking difficult about moving from one lane to another in such a way that you do not impede the movement of others? Coming on at the Te Moana on ramp this morning for the first time, a loooooong merge lane with a clearly marked limit of 100kph (you know, the same as the damn road you are about to join) and there is a line of cars doing 60kph who just pull out in front of cars already on the expressway already at cruise speed (somewhere between 100 and 105kph) If you want to travel slower than traffic, fine! Just don't move across in front of traffic clearly moving faster than you are. Boy does that grind my gears....
    My pet peeve is closely related to this: drivers in a merge lane that have space to merge, but instead of merging into the gap, overtake the car in front of them. Then, at the end of the merge lane they either force their way in or come to a complete stop at the end of the merge lane.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    but it doesn't work on this road as the road doesn't exist in it's data, there is no applied speed limit to let the machine...
    Now that's an interesting technical point. So who is silly enough to test my theory. How can you get a speeding ticket on a road that doesn't have a name? The Expressway is now officially the state HW 1 and the old road is YET to be given a name as it is now a local regional road. NZTA is seeking community input for naming. So if you are caught doing 200kph on the old section, theoretical that road doesn't exist, so how can you be ticketed and how can a non existent road even have a speed limit?
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    suzuki

Now that's an interesting technical point. So who is silly enough to test my theory. How can you get a speeding ticket on a road that doesn't have a name? The Expressway is now officially the state HW 1 and the old road is YET to be given a name as it is now a local regional road. NZTA is seeking community input for naming. So if you are caught doing 200kph on the old section, theoretical that road doesn't exist, so how can you be ticketed and how can a non existent road even have a speed limit?
    cunts probably use gps coordinates now.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Finally got to drive the expressway saturday morn early in the Falcoon (like 7am !)..Initial thoughts were,jesus this could be a 130kph road.
    I had the road safety device on and cruise set on 109kph, god it seemed slow !
    arriving at Raumati I realised why I hadn't seen the truffle hunters (they were everywhere on the old road where it looked like a couple of little silver cars had had their rooves cut off). Bugger ,could have done 130 no problem ?

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Finally got to drive the expressway saturday morn early in the Falcoon (like 7am !)..Initial thoughts were,jesus this could be a 130kph road.
    I had the road safety device on and cruise set on 109kph, god it seemed slow !
    arriving at Raumati I realised why I hadn't seen the truffle hunters (they were everywhere on the old road where it looked like a couple of little silver cars had had their rooves cut off). Bugger ,could have done 130 no problem ?
    what is thius raod safety device you talk of, cruise control, have you ever had it calibrated, a lot of people set theirs at that and think for some reason their speedo is 100% accurate even s the tyres wear out and the readings vary over tyre life without other factors.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    what is thius raod safety device you talk of, cruise control, have you ever had it calibrated, a lot of people set theirs at that and think for some reason their speedo is 100% accurate even s the tyres wear out and the readings vary over tyre life without other factors.
    Valentine ,V1 bud haha . Cruise must be pretty much on it ? cos the car is about 5 years old now and the 'boys' don't bother me ? As the rubber wears I guess gearing goes down too huh.

I was lucky this morning tho,on the bike early, up 57 and the first sun blinded me,put my hand up to see where I was going and bingo along comes a HW patrol. (don't use the V1 on the bike!).

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    1996 ZX7R

Many years ago the Wellington Fuzz (Read Traffic Officer Banks) issued tickets for the stretch of road now known as Cobham Drive. Sadly for Mr. Banks it didn't have a name at that time and all tickets were withdrawn. You can bet that loophole is now well and truly closed. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Caution is not a substitute for skill :no

Thread Information