Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practical Motorcycle Restricted License test (non CBTA)

Bike
    Suzuki GN125

Practical Motorcycle Restricted License test (non CBTA)

Hello

I have struggled to find information on the NZTA practical motorcycle restricted test format. I understand that it can take upto an hour just the CBTA assessment but apart from that there isn't much.
    I would appreciate if someone who has sat the practical restricted license test share their experience.

I have tried CBTA and failed my test. I understand what I need to work on and will be doing that over the next few weeks. Its already been 6 months on my learners so I see no point in spending the extra $90 ($180 vs $88.60) to get assessed again.

All suggestions welcome.

Regards

Bike
    2002 Ducati ST4S
    Same sort of stuff that you would do on the CBTA. They take you through some urban roads, check your road positioning, using indicators, mirrors, balance when moving slowly, giving way etc. Then they take you in some open roads and are probably checking speed (too fast or too slow), positioning etc.
    My test in July last year was cut short due to pretty heavy rain so I'm not sure if there was much I missed out on. Did it in Pukekohe.

I did the bronze ride forever course and it sounds like the CBTA is pretty much the same except they are a bit more strict on positioning, checking mirrors/blindspots etc. I guess they can be because they are following right behind you on a bike rather than in a car a bit further back.

Bike
    z800
    I did my restricted test back in 2014. I'm sure not much has changed since then. My test lasted about 35mins.

They follow you in a car giving you instructions on where to go via earpiece they give you. As above they take you through Urban areas giveway signs, stop signs, checking your following road rules and speed. I was taken down a few no exit streets, using turning signals appropriatley etc. also did a u -turn. Then open road stuff, can you ride at 80-100kmph safely etc. Make sure you make it obvious your are checking your mirrors and turn your head when checking before lane change or turning into a street.

Basically if you can ride a bike under control and follow all road rules you will be fine. I was shocked at how easy it was to be honest.

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Couple of tips:

Make big head movements when looking at mirrors and checking over your shoulder when changing lanes - the tester on the bike behind can't see you move your eyes so make sure he sees when you do check your mirrors, checking for other traffic etc.

When they ask you to detail the hazards down a stretch of road, don't forget that there was one hazard in particular - the tester on a bike following you.
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Maybe to ensure a head movement is made you could adjust the mirrors slightly so you can not see in them without making a head movement.
    Your such a winner.
    Can you please teach me to crash ride a motorcycle as good as you?

Back in my day you were failed for shit like that. If you had to adjust the mirrors you obviously weren't using them correctly to get to the test. Insta-fail, thanks for coming, pay another fee and try again.

Bike
    xt660r
    I did mine in Hamilton about a month ago. pretty pointless as a test, really.

the whole thing was mostly in 50km/hr zones, mostly residential streets, with a few u-turns. Basically if you can follow the road rules, and maintain a steady speed, then I don't see how you could fail.

I think i went through 2 roundabouts (straight through). spend less than 5 mins in an 80km area to get back to testing station.

no way was it a test of anyones ability to ride etc,

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apsolar View Post
    Hello

I have struggled to find information on the NZTA practical motorcycle restricted test format. I understand that it can take upto an hour just the CBTA assessment but apart from that there isn't much.
    I would appreciate if someone who has sat the practical restricted license test share their experience.

I have tried CBTA and failed my test. I understand what I need to work on and will be doing that over the next few weeks. Its already been 6 months on my learners so I see no point in spending the extra $90 ($180 vs $88.60) to get assessed again.

All suggestions welcome.

Regards
    I suggest you pull your head out your ass, and some moths out of your wallet ... and get some training.

Test format.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/r...l-riding-test/

The CBTA method is usually the easiest method for a new rider to get a license. That you failed your assessment ... is not a good look. Increase your health/life insurance. You might need it soon if you continue to (try to) ride a motorcycle legally.

Learner licence application $48.20
    Learner licence theory test $45.70
    Restricted licence application $48.20
    Restricted licence practical test $86.60²
    Full licence application $49.60
    Full licence practical test $59.90³
    Total $338.20

Restricted License application fee ... plus the Practical test cost is $134.00

Continue to go to the test centers (and probably fail) ... and pay the required fees (probably again and again and ...). Obviously you do not need any more rider training ... as you already know it all.

Good luck with that ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I suggest you pull your head out your ass, and some moths out of your wallet.

This isn't about zoology FJRider.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Maybe to ensure a head movement is made you could adjust the mirrors slightly so you can not see in them without making a head movement.
    The head movements are to look in places the mirrors are not adjusted for. Like side streets, pedestrian crossing entrances, driveway entrances/exits ... and the thousand or so other places you need to be seen to be looking for possible problems. Like vehicles, pedestrians ... and even stray dogs (and other animals) ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
    This isn't about zoology FJRider.
    He must have been the first to FAIL a CBTA assessment ... I wasn't even aware you could ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    If you get too carried away doing that as you ride along you run the risk of rear ending the vehicle in front.
    Your HEAD must be seen to be moving (FOR THE TEST).... where you actually choose to look is your business. Remember ... if you are involved in an accident during the test ... either partly or wholly your fault ... it is an instant FAIL.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    If you get too carried away doing that as you ride along you run the risk of rear ending the vehicle in front.
    only you .

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Head movement was never something tested for back in the 70s when I did my test but maybe it was observed when I got to give way or stop signs.
    The license test system was a lot simpler then. If you didn't fall off during your test ... then you passed ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I am sure they checked speed and road rule compliance as well.
    When I went for my motorcycle license ... I just rode around a few center plots of Tay street Invercargill, which included a few traffic lights. Most of the time the (traffic) cop couldn't even see me. Prior to the "test" ... he only checked that the bike was legal. 15 minutes total time taken ... and that included doing the paperwork. NO L plate needed. NO provisional license. A FULL motorcycle license within less than a month of getting my learners license.

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.
    I am sure they checked speed and road rule compliance as well.
    Not when I got my motorcycle license in 1973, Was told to do tight figure 8's in a car park. Wasn't even wearing a helmet and as FJ Rider said, I didn't fall off, so I passed.
    flashg

Thread Information