Thread: Formula E racing - Electric cars.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries

Formula E racing - Electric cars.

While I ironed the weeks shirts this afternoon I turned on the TV and there was Formula-e racing on. Electric cars.

They have the look, even sound Ok. Fast.

Extremely competitive racing, heaps of passing, braking lock-ups.

I used to watch F1 but gave up years ago as it has IMO become a very very boring racing series.

Electric car racing - it was great.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...it's exciting, fast, car racing...skill and car package determine the result, and if we discard the fossil fuel vs e-technology feelings that arise and just watched the racing, it becomes a bit of a feel good experience in an angst ridden world...despite the massive amount of fossil fuel cost, in the manufacture and commercial aspect of the overall thing, it is going to be the future of speed hi-jinks...

...I've watched dreams and fiction of the past, turn into just normal procedure these days...if you check out the e-bike history of riders at the IOM from it's first outing there and then see who is riding them now and going like fuck, loving them and giving them the thumbs up, it's time to take off the blinkers and share the love...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TT_Zero

... Alain Prost has a fair bit to do with the e-racing and as he is one of the top drivers of all time in my books, I seem to take a little more love and joy from it...

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I love the fan boost idea.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    It's like 'letric turbo!

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    It's just a popularity contest aided by support from a driver's home country. Mitch Evans is highly unlikely to ever see it....

If it was bikes, Jorge would probably receive a fan deduction of power. No guesses the 2 or 3 who would get it all the time...

Bike
    There are other kinds?
    Lets ignore the resources that go into making batteries for these electric abominations so we can focus on how wonderful they are eh? You cant rob Peter to pay Paul. Some resources must be dug up, processed or refined etc to burn for our enjoyment.

How recyclable are they? Fuck all, that how. Like these new batteries on TV - your generic AA that is now half a flies nut made of recycled batteries. Whoopie doo.

This includes road cars too. And Im an ex Toyota tech who did the Prius training so yes I have some clue what Im on about.

Electric racing - gayer than cum on a moustache. And they are FUGLY and sound like RC car racing and thats more tragic as a 'sport' than voting green is as a lifestyle choice.

Electric cars -Good for the environment - yup of course they are. If you close one eye.

Hydrogen hybrids are what Toyota was aiming for. Prius suckers were just funding it. Thats from Toyota NZHQ too.
    The volatility is the stumbling block. Carrying a tank of petrol is one thing but hydrogen? Bugger off.
    DOnald Trump is more stable than hydrogen. Even when he is on twitter.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...it's exciting, fast, car racing...skill and car package determine the result, and if we discard the fossil fuel vs e-technology feelings that arise and just watched the racing, it becomes a bit of a feel good experience in an angst ridden world...despite the massive amount of fossil fuel cost, in the manufacture and commercial aspect of the overall thing, it is going to be the future of speed hi-jinks...

...I've watched dreams and fiction of the past, turn into just normal procedure these days...if you check out the e-bike history of riders at the IOM from it's first outing there and then see who is riding them now and going like fuck, loving them and giving them the thumbs up, it's time to take off the blinkers and share the love...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TT_Zero

... Alain Prost has a fair bit to do with the e-racing and as he is one of the top drivers of all time in my books, I seem to take a little more love and joy from it...
    Exactly! Progress marches on regardless, motorsport is historically the place to look for such progress, why should now be any different...

Plus, lower noise footprint won't piss off the neighbors.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    There are other kinds?
    6 wheeled F1 cars (4 fronts) were called 'progress' once. Like hydrogen bombs and nerve gas.

Just cause its new doesnt make it 'progress'.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Exactly! Progress marches on regardless, motorsport is historically the place to look for such progress, why should now be any different...

Plus, lower noise footprint won't piss off the neighbors.
    Not entirely true...Motorsport has a history of banning innovation to "level the playing field"...Remember the moans a couple of seasons back when the local teams in several formulas were saying that the spectators cars had higher tech than they were allowed to use ?
    427cuin pushrod V8's with a socking big 4V holley as the premier saloon race class ?

The lower noise level would appear to be how they have managed to get so many street circuits. I've not seen any data from testing on well known permanent circuits so just how quick they are is moot. They're an interesting niche series for drivers just past it or on the way up - and it's made for TV...

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarded View Post
    Lets ignore the resources that go into making batteries for these electric abominations so we can focus on how wonderful they are eh? You cant rob Peter to pay Paul. Some resources must be dug up, processed or refined etc to burn for our enjoyment.

How recyclable are they? Fuck all, that how. Like these new batteries on TV - your generic AA that is now half a flies nut made of recycled batteries. Whoopie doo.

This includes road cars too. And Im an ex Toyota tech who did the Prius training so yes I have some clue what Im on about.

Electric racing - gayer than cum on a moustache. And they are FUGLY and sound like RC car racing and thats more tragic as a 'sport' than voting green is as a lifestyle choice.

Electric cars -Good for the environment - yup of course they are. If you close one eye.

Hydrogen hybrids are what Toyota was aiming for. Prius suckers were just funding it. Thats from Toyota NZHQ too.
    The volatility is the stumbling block. Carrying a tank of petrol is one thing but hydrogen? Bugger off.
    DOnald Trump is more stable than hydrogen. Even when he is on twitter.
    I don´t think swapping parts on a Prius makes you an expert in electric car development Electric vehicles are the future. Battery technology has a long way to go, its also come a long way. The death bell for the ICE is sounding, its already been rung for small Diesels in Europe.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    There are other kinds?
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbuoy View Post
    I don´t think swapping parts on a Prius makes you an expert in electric car development Electric vehicles are the future. Battery technology has a long way to go, its also come a long way. The death bell for the ICE is sounding, its already been rung for small Diesels in Europe.
    Im no expert but considerably better informed than some dimwit who just spouts the current twaddle in the media. They are a fashion currently, not the future.
    Batteries take huge resources to produce. They fail long before a petrol engine thats virtually totally recyclable. They have a range similar to a fatty riding a bicycle uphill. And take longer to recharge.

Some folk choose to ignore the environmental impact of this fashion to suit their cause.
    Like godbotherers ignoring history and reality to push their cults profits up.

Your grandad was no doubt telling everyone on the 70s petrol was running out soon.

go away numpty.

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarded View Post
    Im no expert but considerably better informed than some dimwit who just spouts the current twaddle in the media. They are a fashion currently, not the future.
    Batteries take huge resources to produce. They fail long before a petrol engine thats virtually totally recyclable. They have a range similar to a fatty riding a bicycle uphill. And take longer to recharge.

Some folk choose to ignore the environmental impact of this fashion to suit their cause.
    Like godbotherers ignoring history and reality to push their cults profits up.

Your grandad was no doubt telling everyone on the 70s petrol was running out soon.

go away numpty.
    No you don't get it, by 2030 the EU want rid of internal combustion engines on new cars. At idle electric cars don't produce any emmisions and stopping inner city smog is the driving force. It's far more efficient to have central power generation for the exact reasons houses don't have individual generators.

As for range - if I had a Tesla I could probably get away with one charge a week - and for about 6 months of the year I could offset most of that through solar panels.
    As much as I love ICE's their time is coming to an end. I'll wager I know a hell of a lot more about Diesel Electric and Hybrid propulsion systems that give huge fuel savings in the marine industry. Hybrid is the future. Your just too one eyed to see it.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Not entirely true...Motorsport has a history of banning innovation to "level the playing field"...Remember the moans a couple of seasons back when the local teams in several formulas were saying that the spectators cars had higher tech than they were allowed to use ?
    427cuin pushrod V8's with a socking big 4V holley as the premier saloon race class ?

The lower noise level would appear to be how they have managed to get so many street circuits. I've not seen any data from testing on well known permanent circuits so just how quick they are is moot. They're an interesting niche series for drivers just past it or on the way up - and it's made for TV...
    Generally it is a thing, before it is banned though!

Yeh could be a while before it gets anywhere near motogp.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Thread Information