Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axle aligned but sprocket/pulley still has a few mm runout?

Bike
    2013 Hyosung ST7

Axle aligned but sprocket/pulley still has a few mm runout?

Finally got all the parts together to replace the belt on my bike (I see why people hate belts now) - axle appears to be aligned properly with the same distance from the end of the swing arm calipered in. I know that's not necessarily the most accurate but the tyre seems to be rotating dead straight. The problem is the new pulley I put on has a few mm of runout, aside from a dud part (bad korean machining?) I can't think of why that would be. Tyre doesn't exhibit any wobble. Surfaces between the new belt pulley & hub were clean, tightened bolts up in a star so it should have pulled together cleanly.

For reference it's a Hyosung ST7

Anyone drop me a suggestion? At the moment I'm thinking put down the spanners and give it to someone who has a slightly higher chance of knowing what they're doing - on that note any recommendations for bike shops in auckland if it comes to that? Only place I have been was the dealership. A one time experience never to be repeated if avoidable.

As always - appreciate any suggestions. Such a bummer to be so close yet so far!! In before Akzle - I'll stick a chain on it if you bring enough beer to last the job

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Welcome along to KB and congratulations on recognising ol Arksel as the stirrer of shiet that he is!@#$%.
    Depending where you are, pretty much any bike shop should be able to help you. Or you could ring George, mobile motorcycle doctor.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    almost tempted to turn up with sprockets and duplex chain and a few crates just for the laugh of watching you do it.

when you say "runout", whaddayatalkinabeet? are you measuring that shit with a DTI
    is it a D shear key?
    shitty korean machining isnt't out of the question.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    ait i've actually read your shit now. what the fuck is calipered in?

you're going to need a straight edge, and/or string.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Did you check it was mm perfect before removing the previous one? May just be acceptable construction tolerances on the old Ho-Bag

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Does the old pulley have much run out? Could be a case of they all do that sir or you have a badly made replacement. You could take the pulley off and see if the mating face on the wheel is true, put the old one on and check it against that too.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    2013 Hyosung ST7
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Welcome along to KB and congratulations on recognising ol Arksel as the stirrer of shiet that he is!@#$%.
    Depending where you are, pretty much any bike shop should be able to help you. Or you could ring George, mobile motorcycle doctor.
    Thank's for the welcome, if I don't get any further by tomorrow arvo I'll probably seek advice from a shop. My experiance with Auckland shops is there aren't many good ones. Back in Wellington I was spoiled for choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    almost tempted to turn up with sprockets and duplex chain and a few crates just for the laugh of watching you do it.

when you say "runout", whaddayatalkinabeet? shitty korean machining isnt't out of the question.
    I reckon it's a worthy investment, see you on the 7th? Run out - as in it's rolling around around like a 13 year old on his first beer. Layman's term - wobbling

Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Did you check it was mm perfect before removing the previous one? May just be acceptable construction tolerances on the old Ho-Bag
    Nah, I never checked the old one simply due to the fact I hadn't really imagined it was possible for anything to go wrong.. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the casting has a bit of a wobble, but I want to make sure that I haven't messed this up (being a first time job) before I ruin another $400 worth of belt.

Quote Originally Posted by jonbuoy View Post
    Does the old pulley have much run out? Could be a case of they all do that sir or you have a badly made replacement. You could take the pulley off and see if the mating face on the wheel is true, put the old one on and check it against that too.
    Sounds like more work than I can be bothered with getting it all on and off. One man job on the paddock stand was a mission enough for the two times I've done it today. I'll have a fiddle before work tomorrow and if no luck I might just roll it off to the closest bike shop.

I'd do the logical thing and ask the dealer but they've been such twats each time I've been in I can't be assed.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    WHAT is fucken wobbling?

Bike
    2013 Hyosung ST7
    The rear pulley

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    and on what axis is the "runout" of which you speak?

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    picture speaks a thousand. post pics.

Bike
    2013 Hyosung ST7
    Tried to take a video but it isn't really showing up, very hard to see. Both new & old pulleys exhibit the wobble. I thought perhaps the pulley isn't seated all the way down in the cush drive - Took it all apart, cleaned it, reassembled with the assistance of rubber mallet to seat everything. Torqued the axle up, wobbles, over torqued it and she's still wobbling.

So out of ideas now, what's that George guys number?

Just for you - old & worn pulley shown, wobble about 1-3mm at the outer edge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170306_172833.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	764.7 KB 
ID:	329059

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    If both pulleys have the same wobble, then it's likely to be the hub.

Have you checked what the maximum runout is in the manual? I doubt that a couple of mm would matter for a belt drive.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    i don't see your DTI. i also dont watch internet videos cos jews.

0800 motorcycledoctorlookitupinthefuckenphonebookyoudip shit

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    If both pulleys have the same wobble, then it's likely to be the hub.

Have you checked what the maximum runout is in the manual? I doubt that a couple of mm would matter for a belt drive.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
    i was going to say cush drive and some kind of bush. but i genuinely have no fucken idea what this cunts on abeet.
    straight edge. i say again.

Thread Information