Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA ... take two

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's

BSA ... take two

Hope the BSA name dosn't turn into a joke....

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/b...-mahindra.html

Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    77 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    Hope the BSA name dosn't turn into a joke....
    I thought they did that many years back.

Looking at how Tata have handled Jaguar, I have some hope that Mahindra will turn it into a premium brand and not a low-budget Enfield type operation.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I'd have a DBD Gold Star...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    77 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    I'd have a DBD Gold Star...
    And me. You could argue that Honda did a Goldie (but better) with the GB series.

As an aside: BSA had one of the greatest tank badges and I would love to see it back.

Bike
    Exercycle
    It's not take two - it's at least take three or four.
    At least this time there's some capital behind it - unlike the attempt in the 80's using SR500 engines....

I wish them luck and hope they find a niche market. Wouldn't surprise me if they go high tech electric though.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadpole View Post
    And me. You could argue that Honda did a Goldie (but better) with the GB series.

As an aside: BSA had one of the greatest tank badges and I would love to see it back.
    Geez you are brave Dadpole,last time I dared compare the GB with the Gold Star (even thought the specs are very close)on KB I got shat on from all directions including by many who had never ridden a Goldie,I have owned both and know where to put my money.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Geez you are brave Dadpole,last time I dared compare the GB with the Gold Star (even thought the specs are very close)on KB I got shat on from all directions including by many who had never ridden a Goldie,I have owned both and know where to put my money.
    I never owned a DBD34 or a GB500, but I know which one I'd rather live with. The DBD34 would look nice on display in the living room though.

(Did have a B50SS and a Cheney B50MX, but for the purposes of this discussion they don't count.)
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    77 XL250
    My work here is done. I shall now retire to the undergrowth and giggle.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I seriously doubt most or any on here could kickstart a DBD500 with the GP carb...
    But any of them could hit a starter button.

When the Register started in the SI many moons ago, a mate and I put together a trophy for the top BSA at meetings - the "Bastard Stopped Again" trophy.
    It consisted of a seriously bent DBD conrod on a plinth....Long gone missing, if anyone has it, please return.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Hopefully they will bring back the BSA Dandy, almost as good as the Triumph Tina or the ariel 3.... Great moments in British bike history. I doubt the worst bike manufacturer in India could make these...

I do however like the Triumph Tigress....
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    There are other kinds?
    They might do a Norton - ugly but really expensive......

Bike
    Bonneville 900 ST 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadpole View Post

The Gold Star earned its well earned reputation on the race tracks over many years. Honda jumped on the bandwagon by adding TT to the GB series but where did they earn it? The GB was just a Goldie's arsehole with an electric start. For those who can't start a highly tuned big single you can now get an electric start kit for about $3,000, but fitting that would be bringing it down to Honda's level.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by eliot-ness View Post
    The Gold Star earned its well earned reputation on the race tracks over many years. Honda jumped on the bandwagon by adding TT to the GB series but where did they earn it? The GB was just a Goldie's arsehole with an electric start. For those who can't start a highly tuned big single you can now get an electric start kit for about $3,000, but fitting that would be bringing it down to Honda's level.
    The Goldstar was the do it all bike MX, Trials or Clubmans racing US flat track TT and Desert.
    So sucessful they actually had to kill off the IOM clubmans TT.
    Its also hard to look past the dubious merits of the road bikes RRT2 gearbox with its 60MPH first gear. bt it was a great taking point at the cafe
    Or the merits of a 1 1/2 inch GP carb because, regardless it looked like the dog bollocks.
    plus with the clubmans 65-2442 and 65-2446 cams, they make the sweetest sound on over run, with twittering scilencer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    77 XL250
    Giggle...

[QUOTE=husaberg;1131036172 with the clubmans 65-2442 and 65-2446 cams, they make the sweetest sound on over run, with twittering scilencer.[/QUOTE]

With Goldstar piston and those cams, a grindstone and the biggest carb you could find, a B31 or B33 was the best a young fella could get to a Goldie. And no twittering silencer, I used a straight pipe in scrambler tune, and a megaphone for a shit load of noise on the 6.00am shift.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Thread Information