Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A cautionary tale...

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries

A cautionary tale...

Over a cuppa this afternoon Balu remarked "one of my colleagues rang this morning to say he was still stuck in Waiuku and would be rather late". Oh, says I, accident ? Here is the reply:

The colleague had pulled into a petrol station in Waiuku just before 6am and thought that as he was just popping into pay he left his keys in the ignition of his blue GSXR600. As he turned around he saw it was gone. The servo called up their camera footage and saw a man in shorts, tee shirt and cap get out of a car in the forecourt and gap it on the bike. (His passenger drove the car off). The thief was heading back into Waiuk.

Thankfully the camera captured the entire event so fingers crossed for a happy ending involving the Police. Would seem to be a totally opportunistic theft, so big lesson - don't leave your keys in the ignition even if you are only away from your ride for a few moments, even if it's basically still in sight.

Thieving scumbag wanker!!!
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    z800
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    t as he was just popping into pay he left his keys in the ignition of his blue GSXR600. As he turned around he saw it was gone.

Thieving scumbag wanker!!!
    That sux. Always take ya key. You never know what fuck tards are around waiting.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    would insurance cover that loss?

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    Possibly not, exercising due care and diligence and all that.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    fingers crossed for a happy ending involving the Police.
    giggle.....you minx

That aside, All bike theives are scum. Guessing they at least got the car rego anyway, assuming thats not also stolen
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    if you worded your claim right.... eg you forgot to take the key out... or you looked around and didnt see any undesirables etc, felt safe. But if you said im a bad ass and leave the keys in all the time because no one touches my bike then that would be regarded as negligent. You are covered if you take reasonable precautions....
    Same as your car is covered unlocked in the driveway or say keys in when you getting out to close gate but not if you say park in street and leave it running unattended while windows demist etc....
    The commercial policy i had on my camera gear also differntiatted between robbery and theft and excesses for each were different, dont think car or bike stuff is like that tho....

A side note I lost set of car keys once, rang insurance company to see if i needed to re key to stay covered. They said still covered without neededing to change locks unless i strongly suspected they were stolen, in which case they pay up to $800 for new keys...
    Told them i thought they had probably dropped out of my pocket running across road to get pie or at roadside tiolet stop, but was possibility someone may have jumped into my truck cab while refuelling...
    They said sweet as kept on driving around with my spare key til someone ran into car and wrote it off lol....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Any update? Has the bike been located?

You'd have thought that there are some workable lines of inquiry.

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Any update? Has the bike been located?

You'd have thought that there are some workable lines of inquiry.
    Yeah, there is definitely positive follow up happening. Police are onto it and sounds like good progress being made. Camera footage showed that the thief had tried getting access to a truck on the forecourt earlier but sneaked away behind it when the driver came back out. Rego on the car was the main clue to tracking him down.

Katman to steveb64

Bike
    Keys, helmet and gloves always come in with me. If I'm in the car I lock it too. Worth the few extra seconds.

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Keys, helmet and gloves always come in with me. If I'm in the car I lock it too. Worth the few extra seconds.
    My WR 450 doesn't have key ignition and I'm always worried when I go in to pay. I have disc locks on both bikes. After reading this thread I'll carry one with me and use it from now on.
    flashg

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by flashg View Post
    My WR 450 doesn't have key ignition and I'm always worried when I go in to pay. I have disc locks on both bikes. After reading this thread I'll carry one with me and use it from now on.
    Walking it away from the pump up to the window would be a good bet too, otherwise to keep things pracical you should just fit a little kill switch down by the choke or something.

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Must say, I'm the same. I always lock my car as well (and take my ignition key for the bike) - guess you can take the girl outta South Auckland but ya can't take the South Auckland outta the girl...

Katman to steveb64

Bike
    Mine
    I will sometimes leave the helmet on the bike with gloves inside but never would I leave the keys.

Lately I don't even get off the bike. The only thing that comes off are the gloves and sunglasses. Gotta love the trend to EFT-POS at pump.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    I will sometimes leave the helmet on the bike with gloves inside but never would I leave the keys.

Lately I don't even get off the bike. The only thing that comes off are the gloves and sunglasses. Gotta love the trend to EFT-POS at pump.
    Always forget about the 'pump pay' until it's too late =(

I know a good few people who have come out to find out someone liked their helmet better than they did though.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Z doesn't give the discount for pay at pump, damn it's irritating, so you still have to go inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information