The lead up to the 2017 Paeroa Battle of the Streets was frantic, with lots of work being done on the bike.

On the 10th February I did a track day with MotoTT to test out a couple of things. I finally had a steering damper mounted on the bike and I’d also gotten hold of a gyroscopic mount for the camera, a couple of things I’d been wanting to get sorted for quite a while.

The steering damper had been quite a challenge. The mounting brackets are made to fit the 2005 CBR600 RR, which is exactly what I have. However, that year the bike came with 2 different top triple clamps and my bike had the wrong one. Not only did I have the wrong one but the right one was proving impossible to find. Due to the design of the triple clamp I have and the area around the forks there’s no way to easily mount a steering damper. I’d talked to a couple of people about it and finally Clayton at Paice Engineering came up with a collar that fitted around the mounting bracket and stopped it rotating at all. I’d need to drill the top triple clamp but I was ok with that as it’s over engineered many times over and ...

Click to continue ...