Thread: Kymco 150 as a 1st bucket

Bike
    TRX850

Kymco 150 as a 1st bucket

Hi all,

I want to have a hack at some bucket racing with a couple of my mates. Trying to find a bike sub $500.

Have come across a Kymco 150 on TM for around 500.

Im completely new to road racing, rode moto all my life, but do have road bikes.

Would the Chinese plastic do me for a couple of rounds or am I just buying myself less space in my garage? Its running 17inch wheels so there is a instant bonus.

Now before you get all "just buy a FXR". I know, ive read it a million times. But there does not seam to be many around, they seam to be at least in the $1500+ range and to be honest I just want to have a crack at it.

Thanks in advance.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    The great thing about buckets is that there is room for something different. If you want to try it, buy it, get it track legal and have a go. ......

Bike
    TRX850
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    The great thing about buckets is that there is room for something different. If you want to try it, buy it, get it track legal and have a go. ......

Thanks TZ. Will I be woefully uncompetative? I know my skill is going to be the biggest issue but I dont want to be the laughing stock.

Cheers

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by nicosauraus View Post
    Thanks TZ. Will I be woefully uncompetative? I know my skill is going to be the biggest issue but I dont want to be the laughing stock.

Cheers

...trying to catch the slowest FXR on my CG Honda framed Loncin is as much fun as being a winner or near the front...being lapped by the faster riders is just part of the deal...

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    I'm pretty sure there is a few club hack bikes for most bucket crews or someone willing to give you a hoon on their bucket so if you wanted to get amongst it there is always that.
    I started out bucketing on a friends $350 bucket but soon found myself getting frustrated at getting smoked by everyone so I bought a pretty competitive bucket for $1500 last year which I needed to do nothing on to get out there.

Bike
    honda ct now FXR SCORPA SY 250
    I just looked it up on TM and looked like a real bike with real potential to be a lot of fun.
    Go for it.

Bike
    TRX850
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew a View Post
    I just looked it up on TM and looked like a real bike with real potential to be a lot of fun.
    Go for it.
    Thanks Andrew. I am trying to get hold of the seller.

Next question for everyone, tyres. What should I be looking to run? Are there size restrictions?

I looked up MNZ for rules but I couldn't find anything, I did skim read....

Bike
    Norton Manx
    Slicks from GP125 bikes like the Honda RS125 are the go.
    Factual Facts are based on real Fact and Universal Truths. Alternative Facts by definition are not based on Truth.

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Grab it, get it track legal and have a go. We run A B and C grade in Auckland so you should be able to find someone to play with and at $500 you should be able to pass it on for what you paid if you get bored with it or upgrade. Tyres you are best off trying to grab some second hand slicks off someone, in the lower grades cast offs from some of the A grade guys should see you alright for a few rounds if you can find some.
    Stock is best

Bike
    Norton Manx
    Will I be woefully uncompetative?
    Who knows, probably, but who cares, nobody out there will, there will be a group for you to slot into.
    Factual Facts are based on real Fact and Universal Truths. Alternative Facts by definition are not based on Truth.

Bike
    TRX850
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, really appreciate you taking the time.

I have found a few "second hand" slicks on TM. My question is really around size, are there rules around what you can run?

I was thinking (and this is a motocrosser thinking here....) something like a 90 for the front and 120 rear? Or am I dreaming?

I have seen a couple of 120/70/17 slicks for big bike fronts, can I run them on the rear?

Cheers,

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    I have found a few "second hand" slicks on TM. My question is really around size, are there rules around what you can run?

I was thinking something like a 90 for the front and 120 rear? Or am I dreaming?
    No rules around tyre size, and 90F 120R is pretty normal for Bucket slicks.

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, really appreciate you taking the time.

I was thinking (and this is a motocrosser thinking here....) something like a 90 for the front and 120 rear? Or am I dreaming?

I have seen a couple of 120/70/17 slicks for big bike fronts, can I run them on the rear?

Cheers,
    Yes you can run a big bike front slick on the rear. Not sure about the wheel sizes on the ktm of though so they might pinch a bit and give an odd profile. Not sure about the wheels either but if they aren't spoked try and run tubeless. Also narrow rims are absolute bitch to bead up with wider tyres.
    Stock is best

Thread Information