Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cheeky speeding motorcyclist in Queenstown?

Bike
    my little pony
    Haha anyone can set up a pulse train on their speed sensor and indicate 300kph on the speedo when the drive chain is disconnected and bikes in the garage. The speed sensor is only an inductive proximity switch being pulsed by the front sprocket teeth. An even easier setup is a speedohealer setup to maximum multiplier.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    He was riding a motorcycle.

An unregistered and unwarranted motorcycle.

(It was in a 50 km/hr zone ... Speed a factor .. ???)

No other vehicles were involved.

How could it NOT be counted in statistics ... as anything OTHER than a motorcycle accident ... ??? Not actually crashing on a road doesn't change anything. It was a publicly accessed area and as such ... legislation appropriate for that speed zoned area applies. If it were a four wheeled farm bike on a lifestyle block ... it should not be counted. Well ... for ACC purposes anyway ...
    It had two wheels and a motor, by definition it was a motorbike. However the rider did not need a licence to ride an off road bike, did not need a helmet to ride it and did not need to 'contribute' to the ACC fund to ride it either. If he had twatted himself off road it would not be classed as a motorbike crash in the official stats that will be used in the media like this story and in future attempts to paint us all with the same brush.

The only reason this is counted is because someone who was pissed decided to take an off road bike on to the road. I can't see how any amount of ACC Gold Rider training, mentoring, licence restrictions or LAMS bullshit would do anything about it. The crash is completely irrelevant and should not be counted alongside some poor sod who followed all the rules, did all the training and perhaps made a mistake. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    Haha anyone can set up a pulse train on their speed sensor and indicate 300kph on the speedo when the drive chain is disconnected and bikes in the garage. The speed sensor is only an inductive proximity switch being pulsed by the front sprocket teeth. An even easier setup is a speedohealer setup to maximum multiplier.
    Why would you go to all that trouble when you have the Ida Valley?

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Now you are just looking for excuses, and assuming that the problem was a foreigner when it is still far more likely that if you have a head on crash it will be with a pissed/tired/speeding local.

For sure, overseas drivers are an issue, and getting worse by day with the rapid increase in Chinese visitors, but don't get sucked in by the media hype.
    who says its media hype, its just what I experienced around queenstown in my trips --- only queenstown and near christchurch are bad. everywhere else great! riding!

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    who says its media hype, its just what I experienced around queenstown in my trips --- only queenstown and near christchurch are bad. everywhere else great! riding!
    There is some shocking driving around Queenstown these days, and quite often by Asian people in quite obvious rental cars. But the media have ramped it up so far that we just gloss over the other stuff, the stuff that is more likely to get us killed.

Pretty sure that in Chch it is the locals though.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    i'd think it'd be from increase in unlicensed drivers from foreign lands who are used to LHD cars and roads that are made of concrete littering the roads with their presence, then motorcyclist bodies
    In 2016 ... Overseas license holders were involved in about 6 percent of fatal and injury crashes ....
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    It had two wheels and a motor, by definition it was a motorbike. However the rider did not need a licence to ride an off road bike, did not need a helmet to ride it and did not need to 'contribute' to the ACC fund to ride it either. If he had twatted himself off road it would not be classed as a motorbike crash in the official stats that will be used in the media like this story and in future attempts to paint us all with the same brush.

When you ride your motorcycle anywhere public have access (on or near a public road) ... you do.

As I recall ... it was at 2am and he was pissed.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    There is some shocking driving around Queenstown these days, and quite often by Asian people in quite obvious rental cars. But the media have ramped it up so far that we just gloss over the other stuff, the stuff that is more likely to get us killed.
    I was in Queenstown for a week mid January. During that week there were 12 serious accidents. The one that was reported in the media involved an overseas driver.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    In 2016 ... Overseas license holders were involved in about 6 percent of fatal and injury crashes ....
    I was in Queenstown for a week mid January. During that week there were 12 serious accidents. The one that was reported in the media involved an overseas driver.

1 overseas driver in 12 accidents - 8% keeping up the average

12 serious accidents while YOU were in Queenstown......

with a large amount of tourists - unsurprising there would be a large amount of accidents - road related or otherwise

some NZ tourists are the worst drivers - urbanites on unfamiliar country roads

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    my little pony
    Reality is 6% of an increasing amount of overseas tourists visiting NZ is a proportional amount of an ever increasing number of incidents.

I want to see what number I can put on my speedo while stationary, I hope 600kph is not out of the question so the Keystone Cops, I mean Queenstown Cops can come knocking on my door.

Edit done this morning, have 239kph at real 89kph. Also on speedohealers highest ever speed attained can be posted to the speedo at the push of a button.

Bike
    my little pony
    Photograph has been traced to the North Island, NI Popo now investigating, person who posted the photo is assisting with enquiries, and have another name of person who 'created' the photo.

Bike
    a green one, + some others
    Does that mean i could be prosecuted for my avatar?
    Yes I know my enemies
    They're the teachers who taught me to fight me....

Bike
    my little pony
    Quote Originally Posted by lb99 View Post
    Does that mean i could be prosecuted for my avatar?
    not if a highway patrol car is in the foreground and you are merely following it.

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    I think police would have an extremely hard time getting a conviction based on a single static photograph.
    Would they have an equally hard time getting a conviction if the photo showed any law breaking act or specifically of this nature?
    '' i'd let you touch me.''

Sorry fulla but I am spoken for.

Thread Information