Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WRBs. it's not a conspiracy, man!

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    yeah but that's the thing... do they have a subliminal effect?
    Yes. Similar to when the red lights go out on some Sunday afternoons.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    The lights inside the Booze Bus are calibrated to induce intoxication.

True Story.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    The lights inside the Booze Bus are calibrated to induce intoxication.

True Story.
    explains all those wobbly cops that hang around it

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Even higher tech than WRB.... using ones brain for situational awareness... wire no match for truck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iGcwATYH4I
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    do you have evidence of that reason? roadworks are limited to 30, presumably the spacings would be specified to prevent ambiguity/ clearly indicate lanings/ control traffic...?
    Road cones spacing helps control speed. If you start reducing the spacing(not width across road) between the cones gradually drivers perception is that that they have increased speed. The brain registers time to pass each cone in peripheral vision as reducing. The cones need to be set directly across from each other for the effect to work well.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Road cones spacing helps control speed. If you start reducing the spacing(not width across road) between the cones gradually drivers perception is that that they have increased speed. The brain registers time to pass each cone in peripheral vision as reducing. The cones need to be set directly across from each other for the effect to work well.
    that sounds like some expensive university funded dreamspeak....
    In reality there are many other visual references to judge speed by. Given the frequency at which NZ roadworking contractors fail to manage to sites and leave cones out long after works have finished and in inconsistant manner I think most motorists largely ignore them and concentrate on the presence of real hazards to amend speed.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Given the frequency at which NZ roadworking contractors fail to manage to sites and leave cones out long after works have finished
    well, really, saves time innit,
    cos it wont be long before they're back to patch it. again.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    that sounds like some expensive university funded dreamspeak....
    In reality there are many other visual references to judge speed by. Given the frequency at which NZ roadworking contractors fail to manage to sites and leave cones out long after works have finished and in inconsistant manner I think most motorists largely ignore them and concentrate on the presence of real hazards to amend speed.
    True .. but the cones and warning signs are not just for safety or while the road works are going on

They are also there to restrict speed so that the road works have a chance to settle down and be effective - the reason why workers go back to fix patches is that people cross them too fast and damage the new road surface ..

So if you speed through road works, don't complain about the state of the road that results - you dun it ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Its far easier to reduce the width and far more effective.
    I wonder how long it takes ol Axhole to figure out why the road markers are spaced closer on the corners.
    I bet that will be the next conspiracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Here I was thinking they just put a shitload of road cones out so the cheeky bastards could add it to the bill...that's just a bit simple though eh

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Its far easier to reduce the width and far more effective.
    I wonder how long it takes ol Axhole to figure out why the road markers are spaced closer on the corners..
    A few years back, Rotorua SH5 had a trial, in which the tighter the corner the more reflective posts (on both sides of the road).

You could tell if the corner was both tightening, opening up and also if was uphill, down or just level.

OK it would cost more, but was very effective in the middle of the night when I should have stopped and had a nap.

It should be employed on the more notorious corners about the place.

I still think a lower plate/rolled pressing should be attached to WRBs - it shouldn't cost that much and would prevent some extra damage.

Lately when I have driven past WRBs some of the tailgating done by car drivers, makes me wonder just how close they get to pushing me into them.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    A few years back, Rotorua SH5 had a trial, in which the tighter the corner the more reflective posts (on both sides of the road).

You could tell if the corner was both tightening, opening up and also if was uphill, down or just level.

OK it would cost more, but was very effective in the middle of the night when I should have stopped and had a nap.
    Like this on the NZTA Coromandel Loop project? It's pretty effective at night and is also cue in the day in addition to the the vanishing point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blog 6.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	941.4 KB 
ID:	329207  

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Like this on the NZTA Coromandel Loop project? It's pretty effective at night and is also cue in the day in addition to the the vanishing point.
    It was way better than that. Progressive proportional spacing of posts on each side of the road reflectors both sides of posts, differing colours and coloured cats eyes as well. As the corner tightened so did the spacing on both sides. It was perhaps the all singing all dancing type of road indication.

i haven't been on the Coro loop for some time.

but your photo shows a similar but nowhere as good type of layout

from memory the posts had a reflector at the top and maybe 2 midway up the post. Could be wrong it was a wee while ago.

Caseye on here may remember it, I think it was approx 5km long at the top of the Mamaku, from Rotorua to Matamata.

looked forward to it every trip.

gone now that that area was redeveloped a few years back.... bugger
    Last edited by eldog; 10th March 2017 at 20:07. Reason: Caseye and 5k length came back to me, memories eh!

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    It was way better than that. Progressive proportional spacing of posts on each side of the road reflectors both sides of posts, differing colours and coloured cats eyes as well. As the corner tightened so did the spacing on both sides. It was perhaps the all singing all dancing type of road indication.

from memory the posts had a reflector at the top and maybe 2 midway up the post. Could be wrong it was a wee while ago.
    On one of the bends south of Otira just before Wainininini the LTSA or who ever installled a speed activated arrow on a sign that told the person to both slow down if they were going faster than the recomended speed and indicated the direction of the bend.
    Its mainly for the tourists but it seems to be working no cars on their roof for a while now.
    There are a couple of bends south of Charleston that could do with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Sold

Sounds like they did a top job in Rotorua. The close-spaced markers on this corner ( Kopu-Hikuai road ) aren't recent. I'm involved with the Northern Loop project so will pass your comments on. Cheers!

Thread Information