Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NZSBK 2017 Hampton Downs

Bike
    miWhodeXD

NZSBK 2017 Hampton Downs

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...Cool pics' as usual...I just watched most of the live action on the live stream provided by I-Film... wonderful racing in all the classes...a decision pending on NZ Superbike Champion at the moment...a bit of drama in last race with two red flags and not having completed 65% of race...

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Watching live commentary Spyda was saying its still under protest? Racing is all over now.
    But Saw on Facebook Choppa posted a pic of him as 2017 champ?
    I watched both parts of the race on live stream. I didnt think they did enough Laps?
    They awarded 1/2 points for the first part which put Choppa 6 points adrift (I think??)? Then headed for a restart.
    From what I saw Hooze fell from 4th but was in front of Rees which would have put him up to 4th and therefore the win for 2017 on points if they finished in that order or restarted and finished that way.
    But from what I can guess they stopped it and called it from the lap before the fall which put Choppa first and Rees 5th.
    The difference between Tony Rees in 4th or 5th is the championship.
    Not saying whats right or wrong just calling it.
    Heard Spyda say still under protest before they signed off.
    Generally Choppa was going really well and Tony not so well. Race two was excellent all 5 hammer and tongs at each other. Chop won or was wining all 3 races.
    IF they had of restarted and Hooze couldnt make it back and it looked like he done his arm or wrist from the TV? I doubt there was anyone fast enough to keep Tony out of 4th. But they didnt.
    From what Spyda said in commentary they called a riders meeting, then they must have called it off?
    I'm guessing thats the crux of the Issue a restart would have possibly given Tony Rees the Championship, No restart Choppa and points/placing decision from a lap previous, the win for 2017.
    We will never no they never raced to the chequered flag only a red flag.
    Hope this doesn't take away from the event the racing was intense
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    Exercycle
    Haven't seen it, only commenting on what's written here - from memory there's only provision for one restart. If at the end of that they still haven't done race distance or the minimum then it can be half points awarded or stewards can declare it a finished race.
    Trevor Heaphy is probably there....

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Haven't seen it, only commenting on what's written here - from memory there's only provision for one restart.
    Cheers Grumph
    If that's correct then that will be where it ends. They already had a restart and awarded 1/2 points for the race to the first restart point.
    I guess they Declared it race finished after the second accident or had to if you can only restart one time.

Sad end for Tony as he came in with a 32 point buffer.
    Congrats Choppa you raced your ass off with a bung foot into the bargain!

We will still have to see how the protest goes tho I guess?
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...I think Sloan did bloody well even restarting after that off and then taking the holeshot and staying out in front...it's been an exciting series and Al Hoogie showed his grit as did the old fella Tony Rees...fantastic results from the other class results too...thank you boys and girls for the fantastic entertainment...

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    i would hate to be the one to sort this out,

heres the rules,
    6.21 Stopping & Starting a Race:
    Should it be necessary to stop a race due to an accident or climatic or other
    conditions that make it hazardous to continue, a red flag will be displayed at
    the finish line under the direction of the Steward or Clerk of the Course, once
    instructed, all flag points are to display waved red flags. Upon sighting the red
    flag riders are to cease racing immediately and at touring pace return to the pit
    lane or the safest point on the track at the discretion of the Clerk of the Course
    (this point to be announced at riders briefing), where they will stop and await
    further instructions.
    The decision to stop a race for whatever the reason can only come from the
    Steward or Clerk of the Course. For climatic reasons the race can only be
    stopped once. When a race has been stopped immediately any result or
    decision is based on the race order of the previous lap then the number of laps
    referred to in A and B is the number of laps effected before the lap in which
    the race is stopped.
    A. If two laps or less are completed:
    a. The original start shall be declared null and void.
    All riders taking part in the original start shall be allowed to restart either
    on the original machine or on another machine provided it has been
    approved as fit to race by the machine examiners. The restarted race shall
    be for the full race distance and the original grid positions will be used.
    The place of any motorcycle unable to take part in the restart shall be left
    vacant.
    b. If it is not possible to restart the race, no points will be awarded towards
    the championships.
    c. In all cases where a restart takes place, this will be within 30 minutes after
    the initial race has been stopped.
    ©Motorcycling New Zealand Incorporated 2016
    Manual of Motorcycle Sport – Road
    B. If three or more laps but less than two thirds of the race distance have
    taken place.
    a. The race shall be considered to be more than one part. The race
    positions at the end of the lap preceding the stopping of the race will be
    the grid positions if a restart takes place. In all cases where a restart takes
    place, this will be as soon as possible after the previous part has been
    stopped.
    b. The distance of the restarted race will be that required make up
    the initial full race distance.
    c. Only those riders who have accomplished at least 65% of the laps
    realised by the first rider of the preceding part will be authorised
    to restart. Machines can not be replaced.
    d. Half points will be awarded to each part. If it is impossible to
    restart the race, half points only will be awarded towards the
    championship.
    C. If two thirds of the race distance is completed:
    a. This shall be declared a full race. The finishing order shall be at
    end of the lap preceding the stopping of the race.
    b. Full championship points will be awarded.

My take,
    i think they should have restarted it for the 3rd time, and that the 2nd and 3rd segments be rewarded 1/4 points, (there is no where it says you can not restart a 3rd time, it says " For climatic reasons the race can only be
    stopped once" this was not climatic conditions,

since it was not restarted, i can see an argument for this rule being used
    d. Half points will be awarded to each part. If it is impossible to
    restart the race, half points only will be awarded towards the
    championship.

meaning no points for the 2nd part,

but these rules are pretty bad IMO, far too complicated, a simple restart rule order would fix this, and the fact that if you crash, and cause a red flag, you can still get 1/2 or even full points,

Bike
    Exercycle
    Does anyone know just what the situation is at the moment with points ? I've not heard how the points were awarded for the 2nd part.

There are several precedents for this sort of thing, incl appeal decisions I think, so I'd be surprised if what happened on the day was overturned if it was in line with previous decisions.
    IMO you'll never get a 2nd restart. Pretty sure it's been discussed at conference level and decided that it won't happen.

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Does anyone know just what the situation is at the moment with points ? I've not heard how the points were awarded for the 2nd part.

There are several precedents for this sort of thing, incl appeal decisions I think, so I'd be surprised if what happened on the day was overturned if it was in line with previous decisions.
    IMO you'll never get a 2nd restart. Pretty sure it's been discussed at conference level and decided that it won't happen.
    Sloan is saying he won it on social media, and the points on mylaps say he did as well
    https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Championships/56613

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    Sloan is saying he won it on social media, and the points on mylaps say he did as well]
    That's not dialup friendly, won't open for me.

Just hope if there is a protest/appeal pending that Sloan is saying "subject to official confirmation"

Bike
    suzuki
    i'm amazed that half points can be awarded with just 20% of a race run, a race should run at least 65% total to be declared, therefore it would make sense to have a full restart if less than 30% is run. there were 10 15 and 20 lap races at the weekend, yet the rule says a minimum of 2 laps and it can be half points.....
    i'm picking the protest was not upheld as if it was subject to that they would have taken two sets of piccies at the prizegiving, in previous years if it's still been under protest they have not awarded anything at the time.
    i know tony was a bit unhappy but i heard him quoted as saying at the end of the day he didn't ride hard enough at hampton downs.

i'm tired of people saying the rules aren't right when it comes to this, everyone has the opportunity beforehand to change the rules, well every racer, i'm not a member, so look at the rules and if you're not happy get off your arse and try, at least then you have a right to moan.
    spyda

Bike
    The media take on it.

http://www.bikesportnz.com/2017/03/u...ns-at-hampton/

Sloan by 1/2 a point.

Bike
    Protest must be over as this is posted on NZSBK facebook.
    I must say the way he raced in the weekend with an injury you certainly cannot deny hes a worthy winner and a passionate racer.
    Its over everything from here is spilt milk LOL
    Good on ya Choppa!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sloan 2017.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	224.0 KB 
ID:	329060

Bike
    miWhodeXD
    Angela Charlett was going really well:

https://flic.kr/p/S7YEu7

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i'm amazed that half points can be awarded with just 20% of a race run, a race should run at least 65% total to be declared, therefore it would make sense to have a full restart if less than 30% is run. there were 10 15 and 20 lap races at the weekend, yet the rule says a minimum of 2 laps and it can be half points.....
    i'm picking the protest was not upheld as if it was subjet to that they would have taken two sets of piccies at the prizegiving, in previous years if it's still been under protest they have not awarded anything at the time.
    i know tony was a bit unhappy but i heard him quoted as saying at the end of the day he didn't ride hard enough at hampton downs.

i'm tired of people saying the rules aren't right when it comes to this, everyone has the opportunity beforehand to change the rules, well every racer, i'm not a member, so look at the rules and if you're not happy get off your arse and try, at least then you have a right to moan.
    spyda
    How it is now has been in the book for some years. Riders had input into it if I remember right. Possibly even including Tony - it was that far back.

Riders - If it needs changing, either get a remit in smartish - or raise it from the floor at the conference.
    Last edited by Grumph; 6th March 2017 at 18:48. Reason: to take the onus off spyda....

Thread Information