Thread: Helmet law.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)

Helmet law.

Can anyone tell me when it became mandatory to wear a helmet on a motorcycle? I'm picking it was somewhere in the mid 60's. Thanks.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    GSXR1000

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Thanks for that... I searched for ages and couldn't find it. It must have been staring me right in the face!
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

When I first started riding you needed a helmet over 30mph, so around town you didn't need a helmet, just on the open road. Never saw or heard of anyone getting a ticket for no helmet, it was just ignored by riders and cops. The first few months they were required at any speed, we forgot a few times, but still never a problem.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    When I first started riding you needed a helmet over 30mph, so around town you didn't need a helmet, just on the open road. Never saw or heard of anyone getting a ticket for no helmet, it was just ignored by riders and cops. The first few months they were required at any speed, we forgot a few times, but still never a problem.
    Yep. Same when I started.

Just thinking - I will have had a motorbike licence for 49 years this month. And I'm still not dead yet! I'd like to shove that information towards all the doom sayers I waded through when I first got a bike. Trouble is they are all dead now. And I'm not...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Yep. Same when I started.

Just thinking - I will have had a motorbike licence for 49 years this month. And I'm still not dead yet! I'd like to shove that information towards all the doom sayers I waded through when I first got a bike. Trouble is they are all dead now. And I'm not...
    43 yrs for me this year.... and likewise, I've outlived quite a few nay sayers!
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    43 yrs for me this year.... and likewise, I've outlived quite a few nay sayers!
    43 years since I got my first motorcycle - 41 years since I got my licence ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    43 years since I got my first motorcycle - 41 years since I got my licence ...

2 years of sin. Naughty you.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Hmmmm yeah. First thing I did after getting a bike was to get booked for no licence...only after about two days though, not two years.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    77 XL250
    I bought the bike, learned to ride it then went for my license. That took two weeks then (44 years ago)

Got my first ticket (20 MPH over) and had first crash (85 MPH /135 KPH) and first ride in an ambulance within my first legal (learner) week.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...44 years and my first helmet was a red Shoei and I got shit from most riders who said it should be black...nothing has changed apart from helmet brand and not having denim 'protection', and what we generally called 'sandshoes', on the feet...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    56 years. Shortly after that I got a ticket and the chief traffic cop told me I wouldn't have my licence for long. So far he's wrong, I wonder what he meant by 'long'?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Hmmmm yeah. First thing I did after getting a bike was to get booked for no licence...only after about two days though, not two years.
    Yeah .. outlaw bikers rule !
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Love how we went from helmet law to when where and how.

After school job at 13yrs of age ended up with my first driving offence using the bosses step through Suzuki to go to the shop, 2nd driving offence was a few months later driving the bosses Bradford van around the block after getting tired of just driving around the yard, funnily enough the boss decided he didn't need me after school after all, so went to Percy Colemans to work after school.

Lost my brand new licence on my brand new AC50 within 3 weeks of getting both. Tried a BSA bantam and a 500 single, Liked my Suzy TC200 then discovered I really liked the TS 250R and adventure rides, took a girlfriend on a wet and windy journey to Wellington on it, she vowed to never get on a bike with me again and she caught a bus home from Otaki, lol.

Thread Information