Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 98 Octane

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
    In one of the other octane threads I think someone mentioned that some Mobil stations had alcohol in their fuel. From memory he said it was on their website but I couldn't find anything on it. Also from memory it was in the Wellington region.

Cheers

The reference to ethanol is towards the bottom of the page and above the blue band with "Energy lives here" in it: https://www.mobil.co.nz/en/synergy-fuels

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    In one of the other octane threads I think someone mentioned that some Mobil stations had alcohol in their fuel. From memory he said it was on their website but I couldn't find anything on it. Also from memory it was in the Wellington region.

Cheers
    Last time I asked about ethanol at my local Mobil, some year ago now, the dude just said he didn't know if it contained ethanol or not. Easy answer I guess.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Last time I asked about ethanol at my local Mobil, some year ago now, the dude just said he didn't know if it contained ethanol or not. Easy answer I guess.
    "we can neither confirm nor deny the existence or non-existence of ethanol in our fuels or not-fuels"

Bike
    my little pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    "we can neither confirm nor deny the existence or non-existence of ethanol in our fuels or not-fuels"
    Yep, half the 'cooks' don't give their recipe away, and the other half are doing a stretch.

Bike
    Trumpet
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Yes, asking manufacturer specific questions on KiwiBiker can get you some crazy answers.

By the way, have you tried diesel? They are cheaper and produce better torque which is great for round town riding.
    And this toss had the cheek to call me a troll, because I sent him a bad rep. EJK the comedian

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1

Cheers
    The pump should be labelled if there is ethanol in the petrol.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    My local Mobil servo swapped from 95 to 98 not too long ago. The gixxer runs very happily on either 98 or 95 but given the extra price of 98, I stick to 95. Which it seems I can only get at the supermarket pumps locally. The Mobil dude told me that it is Mobil's policy to replace all 95 with 98 at their servos. No doubt there are monetary reasons for so doing.

I notice none of the local servos advertise the price of their higher octane fuels on their price boards either...funny that.
    The pricing of 95 and 98 is a huge ripoff. I've seen 95 selling for 30c more per litre.

The R1 is definitely happier on 98, but it has carbs so is a bit fussier. It runs best on Gull 98, but I only use it on long trips and fill the tank with normal petrol when I get home.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    The pricing of 95 and 98 is a huge ripoff. I've seen 95 selling for 30c more per litre.
    Locally, Mobil 95 is 9c/l dearer than 91. But the local Caltex loads 25c/l onto their 95...Guess which one I go to.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Exercycle
    Locally, Mobil 95 is 9c/l dearer than 91. But the local Caltex loads 25c/l onto their 95...Guess which one I go to.
    As one cheap pensioner to another...don't you have a Challenge locally ? Show the gold card and get 8c/l discount - all the time.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    As one cheap pensioner to another...don't you have a Challenge locally ? Show the gold card and get 8c/l discount - all the time.
    I use a Mobil card from Petroleum Logistics. It gives me 10c/l discount on any Mobil petrol. That's 10c/l off the actual pump price. So I go to the Mobil servo that has the cheapest prices and get another 10c/l off that price. Excellent deal. Can use it at supermarket pumps too if they are stocked by Mobil - which all the local Foodstuffs ones are (PaknSave and New World).

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Yeah, it was a Caltex station.

Given that the actual cost of petrol is only 60c per litre, it's difficult to understand how the margin is so high.

I ran the R1 on a variety of fuels during a recent trip around the North Island. The only one it really didn't like was Gull 91 - it would hesitate for a moment when I opened the throttle. It ran OK on everything else, but seemed happiest on Ultimate.

I tend to use the premium fuels because they have more detergents and cleaners in them, which I hope will save on carb maintenance!

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    I have been tracking my fuel usage with an app on my phone. I was using BP 98 for a while but I then switched to Mobil 95 and now Waitomo 95 - no difference in fuel usage and I'm confident I'm getting just as much power too.

98 octane has no more power than 95 octane or 91 octane, the only advantage of higher octane is that it doesn't burn so readily which prevents pre-detonation if that would have happened with lower octane fuels. There are plenty of engines with enough compression to pre-detonate 91 octane but most would run just as well on 95 as on 98, for most people the cost of 98 is just extra money for something that offers no benefit whatsoever.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    I was using BP 98 for a while but I then switched to Mobil 95 and now Waitomo 95 - no difference in fuel usage and I'm confident I'm getting just as much power too.
    I put some BP98 in the Agusta and it ran very poorly. Could have been caused by something else but it was missing and stuttering at 3-4 thousand revs.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    The book for my Ducati says 95 or higher. Only run on 95 as there is no one close with 98 to try. I'm not riding out of my way to fill up

Bike
    2006 c50 uncle bully
    Just checked the triumph manual...my one states 87 or higher and then dribbles on with a variety of letters that just get weird...even details shit about the cosl of living council and anti knock something...so i suspect Paula Bennet might be the best person to asked...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Information