Thread: Spoke fitting

Bike
    KTM530EXC

Spoke fitting

Who can replace spokes in the Auckland or Whangarei areas? For a BMW.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Which BMW model? If they're one of the special lace versions, very few will work on those wheels worldwide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Which BMW model? If they're one of the special lace versions, very few will work on those wheels worldwide.
    Really? What's the problem here? A spoke is a spoke is a spoke. Is not the principal the same - hub to rim no matter which part of the hub or rim.

I'm about to Google BMW spoke wheels to see what's weird ....

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Really? What's the problem here? A spoke is a spoke is a spoke. Is not the principal the same - hub to rim no matter which part of the hub or rim.
    Superlace or something, which makes them overly complicated and difficult to get right, to the point most don't touch them. Woodys Wheels in the USA are probably one of the best known, and can repair and work on BMW rims (along with selling their own solutions) with better accuracy than the factory.

I've seen the odd post of people replacing spokes and rebuilding, but you obviously need the right tools, truing the wheel etc.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Mine is a BMW R1150GS
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Meh, its a spoke. How hard can it be.

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    I did an engineering apprenticeship many moons ago. BMW spokes can't be any different to others. I mean, if the hub is centred and the spokes have the right torque/tension = no problem. Of course, saying that is easy, but doing it is something else. I once did a bicycle wheel; t'was nigh-on impossible - but it worked in the end.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rok-the-boat View Post
    I once did a bicycle wheel; t'was nigh-on impossible - but it worked in the end.
    As a kid I spent some time in a bike shop learning from the owner. Bicycle wheels are pretty easy when you know the syste of 2 under 1 over, or whatever it is. Mountain biking is hard on wheels, so I'm also truing my and mates wheels, picking up on the loose spokes etc. Building a wheel from scratch is obviously more tricky as you have to watch for dishing and so on.

However, the BMW wheels, while using the same principles, are a fair bit more complicated. I'd probably give it a crack at some point if the opportunity and possession of tools arose (I have an R1200GSA), but definitely the one spoke at a time etc.

I'll ask around though...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by rok-the-boat View Post
    I did an engineering apprenticeship many moons ago. BMW spokes can't be any different to others. I mean, if the hub is centred and the spoke have the right torque/tension = no problem. Of course, saying that is easy, but doing it is something else. I once did a bicycle wheel; t'was nigh-on impossible - but it worked in the end.
    that is part of the problem.I think all the shaft drive bikes have the rear wheels deliberatley "dished" ie the hub is not central to the rim.Plus the tubeless system

Thread Information