Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't shift out of neutral after oil and filter change

Bike
    Suzuki

Can't shift out of neutral after oil and filter change

Hi

I recently just got my first bike, which is a 2009 Hyosung GV250, which I am really enjoying. However I did my first oil and filter change today as per the service manual. It all seemed to go fine. I started it and let it warm up for about 5 minutes, however when I engaged the clutch lever and went to shift to 1st it wouldn't budge. I have tried applying quite a bit of pressure but it won't shift.

I don't know if this is just a coincidence that it happened after the oil change? I rode it last Friday and I didn't have any problems.

Hoping someone out there knows what's wrong with it??

Thanks
    Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Rock it back and forth while sitting on it engine off without pulling clutch but pressuring lever and it should click up. Can you move the bike while in gear with clutch pulled in engine off? Did you use motorcycle engine oil and not just car oil?
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Rock it back and forth while sitting on it engine off without pulling clutch but pressuring lever and it should click up. Can you move the bike while in gear with clutch pulled in engine off? Did you use motorcycle engine oil and not just car oil?
    Hi.

Just tried that but still not shifting. I used Penrite MC4ST 10w-40 100% Pao Ester Synthetic (for 4 stroke motorcycles).

Cheers
    Mike

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Will it shift up into second? I am presuming it is presently in neutral.

Bike
    Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Will it shift up into second? I am presuming it is presently in neutral.
    Hey mate,

Yes it's currently in neutral and won't shift up either.

Bike
    CB1300
    I seem to remember an ex having this issue after a chain adjustment.
    IIRC this has to do with whatever system they use that stops you going into second when stationary.
    A call to the retailer saw her told to walk it a couple of bike lengths fairly quickly with the motor running. Then go for first.

Took a couple of goes.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    I seem to remember an ex having this issue after a chain adjustment.
    IIRC this has to do with whatever system they use that stops you going into second when stationary.
    A call to the retailer saw her told to walk it a couple of bike lengths fairly quickly with the motor running. Then go for first.

Took a couple of goes.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC
    Hi,

Have have tried your suggestion a few times now, however no luck

Bike
    Suzuki
    I fixed the issue in the end. Something I probably failed to note in my initial post was that I tightened the plug next to the oil sump plug as it looked like it was leaking oil. Looked up what the plug was in the service manual and found that it was a detent for neutral. When I loosened it off I was able to change gears with no problems at all.

Rookie mistake, which I will never make again after that ordeal. Time to invest in a torque wrench!

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeySJD View Post
    I fixed the issue in the end. Something I probably failed to note in my initial post was that I tightened the plug next to the oil sump plug as it looked like it was leaking oil. Looked up what the plug was in the service manual and found that it was a detent for neutral. When I loosened it off I was able to change gears with no problems at all.

Rookie mistake, which I will never make again after that ordeal. Time to invest in a torque wrench!

be fucking careful you didn't loosen it up too much, i would get a new crush washer and torque it correctly, if this is too loose and falls out you'll have oil on ya back tyre and a seized motor real quick

Bike
    Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    be fucking careful you didn't loosen it up too much, i would get a new crush washer and torque it correctly, if this is too loose and falls out you'll have oil on ya back tyre and a seized motor real quick
    Ok thanks heaps for the advice, will make sure I get it torqued before I take it on the roads for sure.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    M10 does Toledo torque wrenches for around the $100-ish mark. I bought one years back and use it all the time now.

I got curious once and set up an axle on bearings with a lever arm, borrowed some weights from work to hang off the far end of the arm, and checked release torque against indicated setting.

The humble Toledo was within 4% through the entire range. Granted that's a sample of just one, but I was impressed.

Bike
    Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    M10 does Toledo torque wrenches for around the $100-ish mark. I bought one years back and use it all the time now.

I got curious once and set up an axle on bearings with a lever arm, borrowed some weights from work to hang off the far end of the arm, and checked release torque against indicated setting.

The humble Toledo was within 4% through the entire range. Granted that's a sample of just one, but I was impressed.
    Oh nice, that is cheap as chips. I will look in to that tonight!

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeySJD View Post

Before even lifting a spanner, make sure that you have the service manual and a decent torque wrench. You can do some serious damage to the bike or yourself if you're not careful.

You were lucky this time ...

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    Before even lifting a spanner, make sure that you have the service manual and a decent torque wrench. You can do some serious damage to the bike or yourself if you're not careful.

You were lucky this time ...

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
    Yea I definitely won't do anything like that again, that's for sure.....

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=MikeySJD;1131034807]Hi

I recently just got my first bike, which is a 2009 Hyosung GV250, which I am really enjoying. However I did my first oil and filter change today as per the service manual. It all seemed to go fine. I started it and let it warm up for about 5 minutes, however when I engaged the clutch lever and went to shift to 1st it wouldn't budge. I have tried applying quite a bit of pressure but it won't shift.

I don't know if this is just a coincidence that it happened after the oil change? I rode it last Friday and I didn't have any problems.

Hoping someone out there knows what's wrong with it??

I never had my clutch plates stick. but i read where it can happen . my honda vfr 750 after working faultless for many years.

Is stuck when in gear or out dam wheel keeps spining . aggh i wonder if you having this issue. but for diffrent reasons.

I changed my clutch plates and was fine . and since then i replaced a bearing that the push rod goes into its been a nightmare.

I may have to change the main seal in the motor side of the hydric clutch . it s not leaking but the clutch lever got limited

resistants. back to your bike . witht he honda i put it into 4th gear any lower didnt seem to work .and just pushed it back and forth

to break clutch plates apart. it did work for a time. mind you its not rego so i can only ride it around the block .

but what your saying doesint sound like bike cant move in netural . or free wheel ?

if was side stand cut off it only stop u starter working sorry cant help more.

If it was a car oil . only thing is sometimes the additives cause the clutch plates to slip a little .

only thing you always go what you changed as you have done. already . bent gear box rod . or gearbox shift drum stuck.

More likey shift fork bent but it should still shift . werid . anyways it be able to be fixed.

Thread Information