Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Android smart TV

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries

Android smart TV

Survived this weeks reshuffle, or at least so far. Thinking of upgrading the 10yr old bedroom teev as a reward.

Have a kodi attached to it (media player and web TV). But we just can'tbe bothered booting up a PC, most of links foreign, Apple streaming works maybe 40% of the time. Just a hassle.

Want a simple interface, watch tvnz on demand and browse to play things like kisscartoon etc. We're using tablets, but cmon, surely this has got accessible on smart TVs Or are you hemmed into particular apps.

Suggestions for that tired and lazy?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post

amphetamines .

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    The smart TV we have (LG) connects directly to wifi and you can cast to it from phone, PC or whatever. Also has Freeview Plus so anything like TVNZ on demand you can watch using Miracast from the laptop or watch directly from Freeview Plus. It also has web browser capability of its own so I bought a wireless mouse and keyboard to drive it directly - that part of it works a bit slower than the laptop and very slow if you use the remote control as the keyboard but it is handy when you can't be bothered starting another device like the laptop.

So they just about do anything these days.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Bah. Can't be bothered casting from another device. Just seems so pointless. I have a remote mini keyboard.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    CIA will be watching and hearing everything you do (apparently). Bedroom set you say...
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    The Smart TVs are getting better and better, with more processing power and more functionality. I'd still cable the TV into the network as often their wireless has limited reception.

They also have things like Plex apps (not sure about Kodi) and yes you can Miracast (Win10) or mirror from smartphones. Overall, apps are still limited and regular browsing is no match for a computer or even tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket

Android smart TV

I have a Sony Android thingy. Its awesome has a netflix button n all the apps I love. I prefer it to my old Samsung Smart TV.

You should buy one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    I picked up a 65" Sony Bravia LED smart TV from Noel Leamings for $1500.

Turn it on, wait 30 seconds, then press 2 buttons and I'm streaming Pandora, better than the radio.

I don't have an aerial so only ever watch Netflix and YouTube. A wireless keyboard saves time. I find Sky tv so boring compared to Netflix.

My only complaint is the processor/Ram is too slow, my phone loads faster (galaxy S5), and the screen is so big my playstation 2 games are too pixelated.

It's also very hard to look at small tv screens now.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post

i had a mate who loved gardens but was notoriously lazy, his solution was to by a house near an accident black spot.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    The Smart TVs are getting better and better, with more processing power and more functionality. I'd still cable the TV into the network as often their wireless has limited reception.

They also have things like Plex apps (not sure about Kodi) and yes you can Miracast (Win10) or mirror from smartphones. Overall, apps are still limited and regular browsing is no match for a computer or even tablet.
    Yep and I find the youtube app on tv the sound often lags which is highly annoying.
    Also the freeview apps and on demand you have to log in which is a pain when occasionally its logged itself out and you try to remember bloddy passwords etc.....

So easy to just stream off PC via HDMI, setup in devoces/screen on pc.

Got one of latest Panasonics last year and think a lot of the interfaces and also phone control apps for it are a little slower and clumsier than expected.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I don't even understand most of what you guys are on about. My old Bravia and an Apple TV do it for me. There is a DVD recorder that will operate as a Freeview set but I'd need a new aerial. That'd provide a Plan B in case I gave SKY the arse.

Hopefully my current gear isn't reporting back to the GCSB. Then again, according to Kellyann Conjob my microwave is taking photos...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    CIA will be watching and hearing everything you do (apparently). Bedroom set you say...
    Didn't any of you see this????

Stay away from SmartTVs ... you are bringing in watching devices straight to you home ... TPTB can monitor you through these devices.
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    My solution was to install a Chromecast and an Intel Compute Stick in the HDMI ports behind the TV. Chromecast is great for quickly streaming content from the phone or tablet, or mirroring the screens, and the Compute Stick works great when a more traditional PC like experience is required.

The Compute Stick in particular is also really handy when traveling as it can convert a motel TV into a full on workstation without having to cart a laptop around.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post

Stay away from SmartTVs ... you are bringing in watching devices straight to you home ... TPTB can monitor you through these devices.
    Sweet! Lets hope they email me with tips on how to improve my World of Tanks gameplay!

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post

Given the font size, are you serious? (Can't tell if that's the sarcasm font. Just in case ...).

Firstly, not all smart T.V.s have cameras, or microphones. (And even then, nothing's new. Samsung got bollocked a year or two back when a voice-command model of T.V. was found to be sending "heard stuff" back to the voice recognition company for training their software).

Secondly, the software the spooks have needs to infect the T.V. via USB. That is, the "spy" had to get to first get physical access to your T.V.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Thread Information