Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50

Thread: Mixing 91 with 95 together

  1. #1
    Join Date
    17th March 2017 - 10:13
    Bike
    2003, Honda, CB900
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    2

    Mixing 91 with 95 together

    Hello everyone!

    So I had recently acquired a 2003 Honda CB900 from a private sale (in the a very clean condition for it's age I might add =P).
    At the moment, I am using 95 since the previous owner used it as well. However, I would like to make the switch to 91 just to save a few extra dollars.

    The only thing stopping me is that I'm not too sure if it's a good idea to mix 95 and 91 in the same tank. Is this a good idea?

    Additionally, does anyone have links to resources where I can learn more about the mechanics behind motorcycles?

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Join Date
    25th October 2002 - 18:30
    Bike
    GSXR1000
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    8,176
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mixing the two shouldn't cause any issue at all. I don't use 91 in anything, based on my own experience and listening to those that have worked in the petrol industry here. My suggestion would be to run a few tanks on 95, record your fuel consumption, then repeat with 91 and compare.
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/signaturepics/sigpic31_1.gif

  3. #3
    Join Date
    6th May 2012 - 10:41
    Bike
    invisibike
    Location
    pulling a sick mono
    Posts
    5,477
    Blog Entries
    4
    as long as you get the portions right it wont be a issue. you always want whole octane numbers or you're firing order will be out by half (or whatever degrees the decimal is)

    ie if you mix 50% of 95 and 50% of 91 you end up with 93 - which is good, but if you got say 60% of 91 and 40% of 95 you'd be left with 92.5 octane which will cause irreversable engine damage cos your cam timing will be out by 5 degrees, and 5 degrees on a four stroke (5*4=20!!!) is going to lock up your rear wheel and basically kill you.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    31st March 2005 - 02:18
    Bike
    CB919, R1200GSA
    Location
    East Aucks
    Posts
    10,063
    Blog Entries
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Mixing the two shouldn't cause any issue at all. I don't use 91 in anything, based on my own experience and listening to those that have worked in the petrol industry here. My suggestion would be to run a few tanks on 95, record your fuel consumption, then repeat with 91 and compare.
    It's a Hornet. Mine has only done 140k on 91, but I think it's fine?

    Ignore Azkle, he's off the meds again...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    23rd October 2013 - 19:30
    Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Speed Triple
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    1,042
    Don't mix 91 and 95 together, it becomes flammable.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    23rd October 2013 - 19:30
    Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Speed Triple
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    1,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    as long as you get the portions right it wont be a issue. you always want whole octane numbers or you're firing order will be out by half (or whatever degrees the decimal is)

    ie if you mix 50% of 95 and 50% of 91 you end up with 93 - which is good, but if you got say 60% of 91 and 40% of 95 you'd be left with 92.5 octane which will cause irreversable engine damage cos your cam timing will be out by 5 degrees, and 5 degrees on a four stroke (5*4=20!!!) is going to lock up your rear wheel and basically kill you.
    The maths checks out.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    2nd January 2015 - 21:36
    Bike
    05 Fireblade
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    16
    However octane rating refers to octagonal engines (8 strokes) 8*5=40 so you'll die twice as quickly

    Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    12,068
    Blog Entries
    2
    It's a honda ... the bloody thing will probably run (ok-ish) on diesel ...


    Try it ... let us know how you got on ...
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    12,068
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    The maths checks out.
    So would his daughter .... if you're ok with beards ...
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    7,419
    Blog Entries
    8
    The Hornet 900 manual states 91 or higher.


    I owned one for 8 years from new.

    I ran it for lengthy periods on both recording MPG's,

    Performance wise there was zero difference, no spluttering, pinging, or any adverse mechanical reaction.

    Mileage was likewise indistinguishable between the two.

    I ended up filing up at whatever pump was closest and free - mixing made no difference.

    My conclusion for that specific bike:

    91 & 95 differ in colour and price.

    Otherwise zero difference.

    It's a peach of a engine that will last forever if you treat it to regular fresh oil.

    PS - don't add a K&N air filter - they are noted on this specific bike to bugger up fueling unless you have a custom tune Power Commander fitted.

    Do consider talking to KSS regarding replacement front fork springs - cheapest handling improvement you can do.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    20th January 2010 - 15:41
    Bike
    husaberg
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    7,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Yung360 View Post
    Hello everyone!

    So I had recently acquired a 2003 Honda CB900 from a private sale (in the a very clean condition for it's age I might add =P).
    At the moment, I am using 95 since the previous owner used it as well. However, I would like to make the switch to 91 just to save a few extra dollars.

    The only thing stopping me is that I'm not too sure if it's a good idea to mix 95 and 91 in the same tank. Is this a good idea?

    Additionally, does anyone have links to resources where I can learn more about the mechanics behind motorcycles?

    Cheers
    Honda asks for a minimum of 91 Ron.
    91 will be fine its generally written under the filler on a honda.
    Take special attention to the coolent/antifreeze used only use the recomeded types and proportions Hondas are a bit suceptable to the warm fuzzies/furries
    More research required...

    Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

  12. #12
    Join Date
    5th January 2007 - 15:58
    Bike
    motocompo
    Location
    Buttfuck nowhere
    Posts
    3,706
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Honda asks for a minimum of 91 Ron.
    91 will be fine its generally written under the filler on a honda.
    What if you can't get 91 Ron, & can only get 91 Darren or 91 Colin? Will that work too?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    20th January 2010 - 15:41
    Bike
    husaberg
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    7,943
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    What if you can't get 91 Ron, & can only get 91 Darren or 91 Colin? Will that work too?
    shut up or i will tell your Mon
    Ron measures all NZ pump fuels he must be a busy buggar
    Ps Bmw service agents shouldn't make jokes about fuel or emissions.
    More research required...

    Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

  14. #14
    Join Date
    5th January 2007 - 15:58
    Bike
    motocompo
    Location
    Buttfuck nowhere
    Posts
    3,706
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    shut up or i will tell your Mon
    Bmw service agents shouldn't make jokes about fuel or emissions.
    VW service agents even less so.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    20th January 2010 - 15:41
    Bike
    husaberg
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    7,943
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    VW service agents even less so.
    Zee other germans are not so squeaky
    http://www.dw.com/en/german-emission...bmw/a-18937447
    The results appeared to show that Mercedes and BMW models are also cheating on emissions tests
    More research required...

    Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •