Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two-stroke motorbikes

Bike
    A Japper

Two-stroke motorbikes

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...I'd have one of those 350 Jawas...would sit well beside the Sportster and the Velocette...

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...I'd have one of those 350 Jawas...would sit well beside the Sportster and the Velocette...
    used to have them in the UK as 'winter' bikes, rugged, torque rather than HP {they put single adult velorex sidecars on them too} if you slid off? Usually it was just bent footpeg, bent bars, straoghten out with a bit of scaffold tube....

They are closer in the way the pull, to the old T500 suzuki than an RD or GT
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    As young fellas of about 16 I had a YDS3 Yam and my mate had a 350 Jawa. Very slow idle on the Jawa.One morning it was idling in the driveway,he's revved it and let out the clutch and rocketed backwards ! The slow revving idle turned , and the motor started running backwards !!!
    Funny as a fit,we were rolling on the ground laughing.
    It had 16 inch wheels and as my mate rode it , it was quite fast round corners ??

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    used to have them in the UK as 'winter' bikes, rugged, torque rather than HP {they put single adult velorex sidecars on them too} if you slid off? Usually it was just bent footpeg, bent bars, straoghten out with a bit of scaffold tube....

They are closer in the way the pull, to the old T500 suzuki than an RD or GT

My mate used one for years in Scotland. It was the only thing that would start when the temperatures plummeted and low enough to use your feet as outriggers in the snow.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Ignores the tens of thousands of off road 2 strokes in production.

The TS250 looks fantastic. I'd love one with the rounder hole heatsheild on exhaust. Haven't found one in my price range (charity?) Yet.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post

The TS250 looks fantastic. I'd love one with the rounder hole heatsheild on exhaust. Haven't found one in my price range (charity?) Yet.
    I posted in the "other" 2t thread that popped up yesterday after a wee play on my DT. The fun factor and character is off the charts on twisty roads and gravel. Common comments #1 "is that a 2t? Don't see them very often"
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    My one and only 2 stroke was a Yamaha RT2. Perfect for getting around the Wellington hills quickly and, it transpired, far better for navigating the Akatarawa Rd than a VFR. A bloody awful tourer though, but that's not what it was designed for. If I was heading out of town there was a brief stop at Porirua to swap the plug lead to the harder plug.

I think it's in the movie "Faster" that the 2 stroke is described as a crude but effective device. Sounds about right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ab29176476fd41d032a2e259da51f45a.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	329348  
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Far more elegant solution than a foul stroke.

Off riding my GasGas300 tomorrow. Lighter and of course better spread of power compared to peaky 4 stroke.

There's about 6 in my riding group.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.

Off riding my GasGas300 tomorrow. Lighter and of course better spread of power compared to peaky 4 stroke.

There's about 6 in my riding group.
    Something I struggle to get my head around. My injected WR 450 with the Aussie map wants to rip my arms off from idle to max rpm. My Beta RR300 2t never feels like it has anywhere near that sort of power. Yet my son on the Beta and me on WR from standing start, race across paddocks and the Beta is beside WR all the way. No advantage to either (we're both 78kg)and the Beta runs on 91octane, WR 95 octane. The thing is the 2t never wants to rip my arms off at any time. This I don't get, but I like it.
    flashg

Bike
    A Japper

A mate in the UK told me Honda have recently published a patent for a new fuel injected two-stroke which could mean the return of road 'bikes as well.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by flashg View Post
    Something I struggle to get my head around. My injected WR 450 with the Aussie map wants to rip my arms off from idle to max rpm. My Beta RR300 2t never feels like it has anywhere near that sort of power. Yet my son on the Beta and me on WR from standing start, race across paddocks and the Beta is beside WR all the way. No advantage to either (we're both 78kg)and the Beta runs on 91octane, WR 95 octane. The thing is the 2t never wants to rip my arms off at any time. This I don't get, but I like it.
    One is using torque to move, the other horsepower.
    Torque rips your arms out, horsepower dosent.

Bike
    suzuki

There's about 6 in my Vapers group.
    fixed it for you

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    One is using torque to move, the other horsepower.
    Torque rips your arms out, horsepower dosent.
    Thanks sidecar bob, Yamaha claims 47hp for this WR, and if I remember correctly, Beta claims about 55hp, so that kinda makes sense. Interesting indeed.
    flashg

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
    A mate in the UK told me Honda have recently published a patent for a new fuel injected two-stroke which could mean the return of road 'bikes as well.
    If by recent you mean mid 2015 that has been mentioned in the other thread, but it would take a huge turnaround by Honda who were instrumental in getting the 2 stroke classes dropped from racing.

http://newatlas.com/honda-two-stroke...-filing/38529/

Now that KTM are expanding their two stroke range it's probably fair to assume the other manufacturers are watching with interest.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information