Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Had my first real breakdown. Guts...

Bike
    '01 Yamaha YZFR6
    Blog Entries

Had my first real breakdown. Guts...

Struck some bad luck today!

On a ride heading to Kaitaia for the night via Dargaville. Was riding along and all of a sudden felt and heard a clunk, it felt like the trans or chain so threw in the clutch and pulled over. Oil pissing everywhere, all over the rear tyre and road.

The front sprocket bolt was sitting ontop of the chain guard, all torn up. Looks like damage to the trans or sump. Won't know for sure until I get it home and remove the fairings. And yes the sprocket had been torqued to what the manual said.

Insurance company doesnt want to hear about it. Fully insured however no cover for anything mechanical.

Looks like an expensive repair and a long time off the road.

Still, couldve been much worse if the rear wheel locked!

Here's a pic.

https://ibb.co/gvGAJv

THE FOUR RULES OF EXPLORING THIS AMAZING COUNTRY OF NZ
    RIDE SAFE, RIDE HARD, RIDE FREE

and try not sound so route 51 american brudda

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Sorry to hear that. It's good that the rear wheel didn't lock though.

There is usually some kind of lock washer to prevent this from happening.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Glad you stayed on board mate, many haven't before you...

Did it have the crush washer on it?

Bike
    '01 Yamaha YZFR6
    Blog Entries
    Yes everything was put on properly and I've done at least 15,000km since the change. Chain has always been cleaned and lubed properly every 500 odd km. Also has just got a new set of tyres 200km ago so the chain and rear wheel was aligned correctly by a Cycletreads mechanic.

Bike
    '01 Yamaha YZFR6
    Blog Entries
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVEWRcJ2q6o

I've uploaded a video of it. Unfortunately there's no sound but you can see the bike shake just before I pull the clutch in and pull over.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by CB ARGH View Post
    Yes everything was put on properly and I've done at least 15,000km since the change. Chain has always been cleaned and lubed properly every 500 odd km. Also has just got a new set of tyres 200km ago so the chain and rear wheel was aligned correctly by a Cycletreads mechanic.
    When my GSXR750 was still brand newish at 27,000km I had the grey code sensor for the speedo unthread itself from the output shaft by front sprocket. Being made of metal its prongs quickly cracked the sprocket cover case on which the sensor for the speedo was fitted. The sensor shifted slightly and gave false speed readings, slower than what it should for current revs. I thought F@#$%, clutch is slipping, so I nursed it back from atiamuri to HB with least amount fo horsepower and throttle use. Was repaired quickly once I knew what it was next day, was enough meat in other bolt to mount sensor in correct place.
    Then it wa s asix month battle to claim a new cover under warranty which now sits as a trophy in the shed.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Honda
    Struck some bad luck today!

On a ride heading to Kaitaia for the night via Dargaville. Was riding along and all of a sudden felt and heard a clunk, it felt like the trans or chain so threw in the clutch and pulled over. Oil pissing everywhere, all over the rear tyre and road.

The front sprocket bolt was sitting ontop of the chain guard, all torn up. Looks like damage to the trans or sump. Won't know for sure until I get it home and remove the fairings. And yes the sprocket had been torqued to what the manual said.

Insurance company doesnt want to hear about it. Fully insured however no cover for anything mechanical.

Looks like an expensive repair and a long time off the road.

Still, couldve been much worse if the rear wheel locked!

Here's a pic.

https://ibb.co/gvGAJv
    Bad luck. Good to hear that you're unhurt.

Bike
    '01 Yamaha YZFR6
    Blog Entries
    https://ibb.co/hwRmaa

So finally got the bike back. Looks like the front sprocket nut has come loose and wedged itself around the chain ripping at part of the engine.

Any idea where I'd get these parts to the engine?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Looks like the gearbox case is toasted. If its not a bolt off part then in all reality its new motor time.

And locktap the sprocket bolt next time.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    https://ibb.co/hwRmaa

So finally got the bike back. Looks like the front sprocket nut has come loose and wedged itself around the chain ripping at part of the engine.

Any idea where I'd get these parts to the engine?
    Step one -SupercheapAuto, $17.99 JB Weld epoxy resin
    Step two- sell bike on trademe

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Bad luck.

To fix it properly it looks like a motor out, split the cases down to the castings, then either source a new casting or repair the one you have. Presumably it can be done but I have no idea by whom or how.

The JB Weld solution probably will not work in the presence of oil - at least it never has for me. I did have some success with it many years ago on a stator cover on a CB750: but I took it off the bike and cleaned it of oil residue then put the JBW on it.... then found another stator cover.

Good luck with it.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    wr450f
    That seems to be THE place for R6's to crack/break when something fucky happens with the chain. I'd say it'd be repairable by a skilled TIGger if you still have the broken off bit, but that's complete engine strip-down territory. Alternatively, brakeclean the area really well, and JB Weld the broken off bit back on. It should be fine as long as there's NO oil on/in the break's surface...
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    which brings me back to point Z. - use premium fuel.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    And the right plugs. And condoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    never really believed in em. which i suppose is why my bike runs rough and i have kids.

Bike
    '01 Yamaha YZFR6
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for your input guys. I've taken the engine out of the bike and it appears to be the entire trans section that is effected. Where the damage is it isn't just a simple plate that can bolt off it's the entire trans section. I'll take it to a mechanic to get it looked at but looks like for the effort and time involved it may just be easier to purchase a complete engine and salvage the current one.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Bad luck.

To fix it properly it looks like a motor out, split the cases down to the castings, then either source a new casting or repair the one you have. Presumably it can be done but I have no idea by whom or how.

The JB Weld solution probably will not work in the presence of oil - at least it never has for me. I did have some success with it many years ago on a stator cover on a CB750: but I took it off the bike and cleaned it of oil residue then put the JBW on it.... then found another stator cover.

Good luck with it.
    I was being funny. Yes JB is plausible as a get you home form an adventure fix but would never try sell bike like that....

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Really sorry to hear about the damage.

The lock washer normally has a couple of tabs that you bend against a flat on the nut. If that's done well, ususually with a hammer and drift, then the nut can't come off even if it loosens. I've had this happen - bent the tabs back and the nut was finger tight.

Seems a bit of a coincidence that this happened 200 km after a new tyre was fitted.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Thread Information