Thread: Emigrating From Ireland

Bike
    Honda

Emigrating From Ireland

Hi folks! As mentioned in my New Member post, I am emigrating to NZ from Ireland in 10 months time. Sadly, I won't be bringing my much loved Honda CBR600 with. Too costly to ship and I doubt it will fit in my suitcase. So, with a heavy heart, I'll be selling it on before I depart on http://www.for-sale.ie/motor-bike. But rest assured that the funds from said sale will be going towards a new purchase as soon after arrival in NZ as possible. I'll have to get settled and probably have to sort out the whole license thing first, but I don't anticipate that being too much of a hassle. I tried to get a feel for the NZ secondhand motor bike for sale classified ads market online but without much success. My default source for such info, eBay, doesn't exist in NZ it seems. So I'm a little stumped. Amongst other things, I was hoping this forum would a good source of info. I see there is an Online Trader sub-forum and a Bike Trader section to this website, but is there any other NZ websites you'd recommend I take a look at? I'll be looking for a used CBR 600 for sale, ideally. Preferably no older than 2007. Are there many on the market in NZ (any year)? Any pointers will be much appreciated folks. Thanks in advance.

Bike
    83 RZ350/85 RZ250R/84 RZ350R/84 RZ350K
    Blog Entries
    Hi and welcome. Try the NZ version of Ebay called trademe

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Intruder VS View Post
    Hi and welcome. Try the NZ version of Ebay called trademe

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes
    Thanks for the pointer mate. I'll check it out.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1275812486.htm

Here's one. Not mine, I have nothing related to this bike. Just found it on TradeMe.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    once you are here, you'll want to explore, and NZ is as gorgeous as Ireland, with so much variety of scenery/places.
    I realise you like the CB600, but I'd really suggest an adventure tourer be considered..... there are some amazing stretches of gravel roads too that lead to spectacular places.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1275812486.htm

Here's one. Not mine, I have nothing related to this bike. Just found it on TradeMe.
    Thanks mate. I'll take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    once you are here, you'll want to explore, and NZ is as gorgeous as Ireland, with so much variety of scenery/places.
    I realise you like the CB600, but I'd really suggest an adventure tourer be considered..... there are some amazing stretches of gravel roads too that lead to spectacular places.
    Thanks. I'll give it some consideration. But I like my sports bikes to be honest.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Plenty of road for sportys but do give a more flexible machine some thought, lots of road orientated bikes with more ground clearance for the gravel that go fast enough.
    Where are you moving to? Some very decent dealers here as well. Trademe should give you decent idea of private and trade prices.

Been here 10 years now. You will love it if you come with an open mind, those who fail at immigration are often guilty of thinking too much about what isn't here. Me, I have plenty to do concentrating on what New Zealand does offer (and that is plenty!), not what I left behind.

Potatoes in NZ are shite, diddly dee.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    The best potatoes in the world are Southland King Edwards.

Even the Irish know that: http://www.waxys.co.nz/menus/dinner
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    The best potatoes in the world are Southland King Edwards.

Even the Irish know that: http://www.waxys.co.nz/menus/dinner
    Lol if it's all that is available that doesn't make them the best in the world.
    Need the heavy boggy soil of the Emerald Isle to get proper flouriness of a Kerr's pink or a good Navan spud.
    Anyway talking about good potatoes to non Irish is like talking pork to the Jews and Arabs, they don't know what it feels like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    Plenty of road for sportys but do give a more flexible machine some thought, lots of road orientated bikes with more ground clearance for the gravel that go fast enough.
    Where are you moving to? Some very decent dealers here as well. Trademe should give you decent idea of private and trade prices.

Been here 10 years now. You will love it if you come with an open mind, those who fail at immigration are often guilty of thinking too much about what isn't here. Me, I have plenty to do concentrating on what New Zealand does offer (and that is plenty!), not what I left behind.

Yup been here since '91. Never been back, no wish too. I agree about the 'failures'. I get as irritated as anyone when I hear imports whining about the old country is so much better'... simple question, why the fuck are you here then?

I'd have probably suggested a VFR800 as a good sport/road compromise... But he'll find out what's here once he arrives then make his choice.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Thread Information