Thread: Newbie intro

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09

Newbie intro

Hi! Newbie... Ridden one-horsepower self-propelled versions for nearly 20 years but brand new to the motorized kind. Just bought a Suzuki SV650 - so far so good (loving it!).

The bike is in Hamilton, as am I on weekends. During the week I work in Auckland. I want to spend a bit of time getting used to the bike and learning skills before I take it north to be my commuter.

I tend to be insanely busy on my weekends but am definitely keen to get out and about with others in the area (I'm no hoon, more interested in riding safely than going fast).

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    Hi! Newbie... Ridden one-horsepower self-propelled versions for nearly 20 years but brand new to the motorized kind. Just bought a Suzuki SV650 - so far so good (loving it!).

The bike is in Hamilton, as am I on weekends. During the week I work in Auckland. I want to spend a bit of time getting used to the bike and learning skills before I take it north to be my commuter.

I tend to be insanely busy on my weekends but am definitely keen to get out and about with others in the area (I'm no hoon, more interested in riding safely than going fast).
    Hi HEsch and welcome from the Coromandel!

SV 650's in any shape are good bikes. One of my mates has one and commutes from near Paeroa to the Wiri for work on a daily basis. Recently clicked over 100,000km and still runs perfectly. If you want to build some skills for a modest cost, look at the subsidised Ride Forever courses (https://www.rideforever.co.nz/). There are providers in Hamilton.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Geoff

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to Kiddiebiker.

Like BB above says. Also, look for a Mentor in your area - they're identified with a green :ME beside their names. There is a thread somewhere on here with details (search tool is your friend).

Mentors are excellent because they give one on one advice without being dicks about it. Further, they'll give you some good bike skills. Search for Gremlin specifically if you're Auckland based, he does all the camera work for cycling events and is a very good mentor who will be patient and kind.

Given that you've come from a cycling background, you'll find the transition to riding motorcycles easier than most because you've spent a lifetime not getting squished by assholes in cars. I won't ride a road bike in Auckland, motorcycling is much safer...
    It’s diametrically opposed to the sanitised existence of the Lemmings around me in the Dilbert Cartoon hell I live in; it’s life at full volume, perfect colour with high resolution and 10,000 watts of amplification.

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by madbikeboy View Post
    Welcome to Kiddiebiker.

Like BB above says. Also, look for a Mentor in your area - they're identified with a green :ME beside their names. There is a thread somewhere on here with details (search tool is your friend).

Mentors are excellent because they give one on one advice without being dicks about it. Further, they'll give you some good bike skills. Search for Gremlin specifically if you're Auckland based, he does all the camera work for cycling events and is a very good mentor who will be patient and kind.

Given that you've come from a cycling background, you'll find the transition to riding motorcycles easier than most because you've spent a lifetime not getting squished by assholes in cars. I won't ride a road bike in Auckland, motorcycling is much safer...
    Here, scroll down. https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showgroups.php

But only a couple still venture in here these days. The was a bit of a debacle with some of the nominees to start with, from memory one had crashed more bikes than most others on here, several all lived in the same house and one was still a teenager at the time of selection but was a good mate of the programme starter so it was okay, and one quit a week after the list was posted because he realised it was just an ego booster for some.

Best bet in Auckland on that as it is now is Kiwi Graham or Frosty. Some don't even live in the listed area any longer and have not even bothered to change that fact.
    '' i'd let you touch me.''

Sorry fulla but I am spoken for.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Thanks all! By 1hp I mean equine, not cycle but it still helps with things like knowing you're next to invisible, the people who do see you often try stupid things to get your attention or annoy you, you're much slower and smaller than and you aren't a highly-valued member of the road-going community, etc. Plus, I'm great at putting on fluro and looking like a nerd - better to LOOK like a nerd (and be seen) than be a squashed 'cool kid'.

Feeling much more confident after a couple of weekends riding and practicing. I aim to go over something every ride - lucky to be relatively rural so there are plenty of quiet back roads and cul-de-sacs where I can practice multiple start-offs, gear changes, braking, turning in both directions, travelling slow, and a bit faster, looking for hazards, etc. Two weeks ago I took it across town for a warranty fix (minor thing, ECU needed replacement). I managed to stall on Sunday when taking off (and turning) at a T intersection, and consequently dropped the bike.... so my lesson was in how to pick it up! Ahhhh, my poor bike!

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trufflebutter View Post
    Here, scroll down. https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showgroups.php

But only a couple still venture in here these days. The was a bit of a debacle with some of the nominees to start with, from memory one had crashed more bikes than most others on here, several all lived in the same house and one was still a teenager at the time of selection but was a good mate of the programme starter so it was okay, and one quit a week after the list was posted because he realised it was just an ego booster for some.

Best bet in Auckland on that as it is now is Kiwi Graham or Frosty. Some don't even live in the listed area any longer and have not even bothered to change that fact.
    One of those sounds like a good choice. The other sounds like someone you wouldn't buy something from...
    It’s diametrically opposed to the sanitised existence of the Lemmings around me in the Dilbert Cartoon hell I live in; it’s life at full volume, perfect colour with high resolution and 10,000 watts of amplification.

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    Thanks all! By 1hp I mean equine, not cycle but it still helps with things like knowing you're next to invisible, the people who do see you often try stupid things to get your attention or annoy you, you're much slower and smaller than and you aren't a highly-valued member of the road-going community, etc. Plus, I'm great at putting on fluro and looking like a nerd - better to LOOK like a nerd (and be seen) than be a squashed 'cool kid'.

Feeling much more confident after a couple of weekends riding and practicing. I aim to go over something every ride - lucky to be relatively rural so there are plenty of quiet back roads and cul-de-sacs where I can practice multiple start-offs, gear changes, braking, turning in both directions, travelling slow, and a bit faster, looking for hazards, etc. Two weeks ago I took it across town for a warranty fix (minor thing, ECU needed replacement). I managed to stall on Sunday when taking off (and turning) at a T intersection, and consequently dropped the bike.... so my lesson was in how to pick it up! Ahhhh, my poor bike!
    Horses? Are you mad? One end bites. The other kicks. And the middle is slippery.

Find Gremlin on this site, he can help you with all these skills, and he's a very good teacher for the whole hazard identification thing. Slow skills are essential, and finding places to practice starting, and braking is a good idea. Even now, I still head to a car park regularly to practice braking and emergency stops. You can also practice tight turns and stopping drills (when to brake, when to change down, where to place your feet, where in the lane to stop etc).

As for dropping the bike - it happens to everyone at first. The trick is getting the bike off the ground and not tipping it on its other side (as I've seen very angry dudes riding Harleys do...).

Hazard identification is a crucial skill - the other mechanical stuff will happen with time and practice - but hazard identification will give you time and space to make decisions that will possibly keep you alive a little longer.

Thread Information