Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tourists causing crashes?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

Tourists causing crashes?

On the basis of very little evidence there may be cause to wonder if that may have happened here?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-dail...oastal-walkway

I use this stretch of walkway but the thought of meeting an American had never crossed my tiny mind. I might stay away until the event is over?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    That's going to cause a problem amongst the cycling fraternity. Obviously they can't blame either of the cyclists because it just can't be their fault because they are cyclists. Act of god maybe?
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Yep, what's the chance the Yank didn't yank left but yanked right to pass and hit the kiwi who was trying to stay on his own left side?
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Just from reading the item I got the impression that the local moved left and the foringer moved right, both doing what is normal for them.

Using the walkway can be "interesting" because, just as on the road, there are a lot of people under the impression that they alone are using it.

You still see a lot of cyclists without hats which indicates a low level of awareness. Summer before last the cops did a blitz on helmet use, dishing out fines to those without. Walkways (and beaches) are "roads" so...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    I remember seeing footage of a fatal car vs truck on the desert road where the car swerved right rather than left in a panic situation. It was a tourist in the car from overseas, you'd imagine it is no different on a children's toy (aka bicycle).

Either way it appears that playing chicken on a bike isn't the best recreational time.

When I was a wee lad a mate and I used to disconnect our brakes and hoon down through the Pukete under pass on the way home from school. A few years ago I read about a pedestrian that was killed walking down there after being struck by a bicycle. Just goes to show that anything can be dangerous in the right circumstances. Glad my mate and I didn't hit anyone.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Shit - people cant even decide what side of the path to move too on shared pathways if they are walking and I'm riding towards them - I swear some of them deliberately move into your path

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    Yep, what's the chance the Yank didn't yank left but yanked right to pass and hit the kiwi who was trying to stay on his own left side?

There's the problem, too many frickin yanks!

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    You still see a lot of cyclists without hats which indicates a low level of awareness. Summer before last the cops did a blitz on helmet use, dishing out fines to those without. Walkways (and beaches) are "roads" so...
    Two of the major cycling rules - wear a helmet, and don't ride on the footpath. Oddly, it appears that the two rules cancel each other out.
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virago View Post
    Two of the major cycling rules - wear a helmet, and don't ride on the footpath. Oddly, it appears that the two rules cancel each other out.
    Two Wongs dont make a White?
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    There is NO legal requirement for ROAD rules to be applied on public WALK ways ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    There is NO legal requirement for ROAD rules to be applied on public WALK ways ...
    Fair enough. But it makes sense to have some convention in place when cyclists are hurtling down said walkways at great speed.
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virago View Post
    Fair enough. But it makes sense to have some convention in place when cyclists are hurtling down said walkways at great speed.
    It would make sense for all cyclists to obey road rules on the road too ... we both know THAT is not going to happen.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Yes there is. The walkway is legally treated as a road, except that motor vehicles are not permitted. Note the comment by the cop.
    "Although it is not a road that vehicles travel on, you still have to stick to the road rules and keep to the left when you are using it."

As has been mentioned they have dished out tickets on the walkway for cycling without a helmet. Similarly beaches are legally roads too.

And I hope that you aren't going to try and tell us that everybody except cyclists obeys the rules of the road?

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Tourists don't cause crashes on our roads, walkways or cycleways, and cows don't pollute our lakes and rivers.

And there is no housing crisis in Auckland, or any other town or city.

If you believe any or all of these statements, feel free to vote National in the election this year.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    Tourists don't cause crashes on our roads, walkways or cycleways, and cows don't pollute our lakes and rivers.

And there is no housing crisis in Auckland, or any other town or city.

If you believe any or all of these statements, feel free to vote National in the election this year.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HVogejKx_c

Thread Information