Thread: Triumph Speed Four Issues

Bike
    '05 Trump Speed 4

Triumph Speed Four Issues

Has anyone near Palmy got a speed four? I have a feeling mine isn't running right...but of course every time I take it to a mechanic 'there's nothing wrong with it'

Just wondering if I can sit two side by side to compare them.

Any help would be appreciated on this.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Haven't got a Trumpet but I went through that frustrating scenario with my GSR600 for about two years. Everything seemed right to the mechanics but to me I knew it wasn't right. I suspected a faulty spark plug because it behaved a lot like a car we had that ran crap but was fixed by replacing the spark plug leads. As soon as I got the (iridium) plugs changed for normal ones as part of a normal service, the problem went and it has run beautifully since then. Can't guarantee it was the plugs but all the other stuff that was done in the service had been done before without fixing it. I'd suggest it's worth thinking about if you haven't already swapped them out.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    '05 Trump Speed 4
    I was told when I first took the bike back to the dealers that the computer showed nothing wrong but they re-tuned the ECU and swapped the plugs.

Unfortunately this makes no difference.

I tried recording the sound with my cellphone but it doesn't really tell as much as even my damaged hearing does.

I'm no mechanic, though I've ridden bikes for years an this one is just not right.

I had a car that was similar and replaced the dizzy and fixed the problems with the car.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Trust your gut and keep persevering for a cure. Good luck.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    What's actually 'wrong' ?

Bike
    suzuki
    so do you want the other owner to take yours for a squirt or are you expecting to be able to ride theirs?

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Yes, I think you are on the right line, buy getting someone to let you ride theirs.

I use TuneECU (it's free) on mine and it tells me just what's going on, plus I can try other tunes to see what differences it makes.

Have you tried upping the Octane to 98RON, to see if that makes a difference?
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    My last couple of Triumphs have felt like they were running on 3,. Are you sure its a Speed 4?

Is the pipe std? My new pipe took quite a bit of dicking around to get the fueling right.

Blocked injector could be possibility on a 12yr old bike as could clogged petrol filter.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Buy this cable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TUNE-ECU-DIA...QAAOxyLNpSFWCa

Its easy to use with an old laptop and we can talk you through it.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I had a customer with one that ended up having a faulty throttle position sensor.

You're not giving away too many clues as to how it's 'not running quite right' though.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Good call. If plugged into TuneEcu the laptop can display the throttle position. If it were faulty one would expect that it would jump around as you wound it on.

Don't expect the bike shop to have thought to do every test.

Bike
    '05 Trump Speed 4
    Either way, whether I ride someone elses or they ride mine (both may be preferable) will help.

It doesn't seem to idle right, when it warmed up the other day (100 deg C) the idle ran so low when I went to accelerate I stalled.

Often (but not when the mechanics are riding) cruising at 3000rpm it feels like I am running out of gas.

I run on a minimum of 95 oct try to use 98 but prefer not to give any money to BP.

When idling it often sounds like a wankel engine (possibly running on 3 cylinders).

Mechanics have run diagnostics and say nothing is wrong.

I'm in Palmy so I'm guessing most know the shop I am dealing with. I don't want to name them. In the past they have been very good to me. Maybe I should just go back to Jap bikes....

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
    Either way, whether I ride someone elses or they ride mine (both may be preferable) will help.

It doesn't seem to idle right, when it warmed up the other day (100 deg C) the idle ran so low when I went to accelerate I stalled.

Often (but not when the mechanics are riding) cruising at 3000rpm it feels like I am running out of gas.

I run on a minimum of 95 oct try to use 98 but prefer not to give any money to BP.

When idling it often sounds like a wankel engine (possibly running on 3 cylinders).

Mechanics have run diagnostics and say nothing is wrong.

I'm in Palmy so I'm guessing most know the shop I am dealing with. I don't want to name them. In the past they have been very good to me. Maybe I should just go back to Jap bikes....
    You can up the idle with Tune ECU, however first you'd be best downloading the latest tune for your configuration from here: http://www.tuneecu.com/Tune_List.html

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
    It doesn't seem to idle right
    I'd start with air/vacuum leaks. Had a similar issue with my 05 Speed Triple which turned out to be a poorly sealing air-filter. Erratic idle, fast or stall, with TPS voltage all over the place. Reset TPS and all good for a few k's then bam, back to erratic idle.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Blog Entries
    So tell us about your pipe.

Did you do a throttle adaptation (reset). Helps idle. TuneEcu helps here.

Thread Information