Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kawasaki Ninja 300 for a first timer?

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Also there's this from BMW (due April).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	normal_36.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	329717

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1291703150.htm

Or one of these if you like Tintin books (not very ninja-y though). And there's an 'incentive' on at the moment, wonder what that could be...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1289288826.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	classic350_right-side_white_600x463_motorcycle.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	329708  
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheekyfats View Post
    I'll keep looking around for something that'll suite me better but i'll be hard because im pretty hooked on the ninja 300. Thank you for the heads up about the Suzuki because that was my other choice.
    Not wanting to start a shit-fight on your thread but as you had already thought about it, don't discount the GN250 as a learner (i.e., the bike you get for a year to learn the basics without killing yourself) just because some people with much nicer bikes tell you they are crap. They may be a fairly bland bike but that blandness gives you a margin for error as you learn how much throttle and brake you need and how much lean is good. (I would acknowledge though that when you want to give it some welly, the GN is improved with better tyres.) It also has a comfortable upright seating position which will allow you to see and (possibly) be seen in traffic. You can buy a brand new one for under $3000 and they won't cost you a mint to fix when you drop it ... and you will drop your bike, whatever you get. Lastly, if they are that bad, why are there so many of them around?

As an earlier poster said though, sit on as many bikes as you can to get a feel for what is right for you. Always remember though, you need to learn to walk before you can run.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Keep it simple. Worry about cool looks later. If you are among the vertically challenged get something that lets you plant your feet on the ground. That cool looking plastic body work is expensive to replace, best to leave that until you are confident.

Wellingtonians might be able to advise you where you can get training.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    A
    Nothing wrong with GN250 as a starter bike. You'll only have it long enough to get your full licence anyway. Yes the GN is a bit slow, but the ninja 300 isn't exactly a rocket ship either. Yes I had a GN as my first bike, yes I dropped it, like mentioned by another poster. Your call, but buying a fully faired bike as your first is likely to be painful.

If I had to do it all again, I'd still go for an unfaired learner bike. Best of luck chap.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    I rode a GN250 from Auckland to Masterton once, which was a great laugh. I remember the rear suspension overheating through the Manawatu Gorge which caused the rear end to slide about all over the place. It was great fun.

Back on topic. Firstly, any bike is better than no bike, but the Ninja 300 is a great bike to start with. It is a good learner friendly bike that has enough power and performance to keep things interesting as your skills progress.

As a first bike I'd definitely recommend a second hand one though. The odds are pretty high that you'll be wanting to upsize at some point in the future so there is no reason to spend additional money on a new one.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Sorry Oakie and Caspernz but I've got to disagree with you on the GN250.

Kiwis buy the damn things in droves because:

1) they're dirt cheap
    2) errr...
    3) that's it really.

Vague handling. Cheap suspension, cheap brakes. Power levels like a scooter. Rusts in about five minutes once a typical Wellington winter sets in. Rapidly devalues to around 1,200 to 1,800 after purchase from brand new, that's if they can even be had brand new any more. Ideal fodder for would-be bobber builders to mutilate though...

Seriously, there was an era that the GN's were designed in, the design has had a great run, but the world's moved on.

Anyway, OP's keen on the Ninja 300, and good on him. It's easily ten times the bike.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    It's easily ten times the bike.
    I agree that it probably is ten times the bike bike my question was is this too much bike for an absolute beginner? I can't answer as I haven't ridden one. If you have and believe it is a good beginner bike then I can't really argue.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post

Seriously, there was an era that the GN's were designed in, the design has had a great run, but the world's moved on.
    Move over gn250. Its now the year of the Enfield 350/500. Far rather have an Enfield.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    I agree that it probably is ten times the bike bike my question was is this too much bike for an absolute beginner? I can't answer as I haven't ridden one. If you have and believe it is a good beginner bike then I can't really argue.
    As long as legs arnt too short is ideal for learner. Not big power and smooth delivery. A lot easier than a late 80 early 90s inline 4 to ride.
    If you think you can keep it nice condition and well maintained then coins lost when sell wont be huge.

If your a total disorientated blunder likely to crash a lot get the cheapest GN250 available until you lose interest in motorcycling forever. Then scrape as much rust from it and take carefully angled photos of it while it is slightly wet to sell it again.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    . A lot easier than a late 80 early 90s inline 4 to ride. .
    Exactly what I had in mind actually ... the ZXR250 to be specific.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    To the OP, you've had some very sensible and thoughtful advice, however before you go any further you need to get your 6L licence - see the NZTA site for the info you'll need to know what to do and to make the decision of how you continue after getting your 6L.

Once you have your 6L, then you can go looking for a bike. Consider what you want the bike to do? Do you want to ride only on weekends? Do you want to commute on it? Is the bike physically big enough or too big for you? Can you do basic maintenance? Also consider the cost of getting some good basic gear - helmet, gloves, jacket, pants and boots.

Once you have all of that, seriously consider doing the Ride Forever Bronze course and, perhaps, then the Urban Rider course. Be prepared to spend a bit of money having some one-on-one instruction.

The learning curve will be steep, at times, but it's worth it!

As for the Ninja 300, know someone who bought a second-hand one as his learner bike and loves it.

Thread Information