Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kawasaki Vulcan s or a triumph street Triple 660

Bike
    Nothing yet

eek Kawasaki Vulcan s or a triumph street Triple 660

Hi guys

I am seeking some advice. I am returning to riding after a 3 year break.

Currently still on learners and I have had aprillia 125, Kawasaki zxr250 and Honda Cbr250rr previously

I have looked at a few bikes now and came down to the last two

Vulcan s
    Street triple

I don't mind either the cruiser or naked. Just I do feel the triumph has more kick and the Vulcan has a very comfy seating and riding position also very smooth

Both bikes I looked at are used all around 2015 and 2016 with abs . 10-12k kms on clock. Price diff is about 2k, Vulcan being the cheaper one.

Because there aren't many in the used market to compare. What is a fair price on a used bike of these kinds? And which will hold $$ better in the long run? Does the higher kms effect the resale value by much?

Any comments and suggestions will be very much appreciated

Thanks all

Bike
    Sold
    The two bikes you mention are almost at opposite ends of the scale in terms of end use and the real question is what do you want from a bike? I had a Street Triple for 6 years and for my personal requirements, it's still the bike I got the most pleasure from. I may go back to one, albeit the newly released 765. You should really try both of them out when you get your full licence as it's such a personal thing. I would avoid the 660 Triple as it's so underpowered. Just go cheap until you pass your test, then get something decent. I tried a Speed Triple, Ducati Monster, Tiger 800 and a couple of others when I was looking to replace my Blackbird. However, it was the Street Triple that sold itself to me within half an hour of getting on it.

The link to my long term review review is below. Before I sold it, it covered 70,000km. In that time, I had mirror stalks replaced under warranty due to rusting and a reg/rec upgrade as part of a world-wide recall. In other words, absolutely reliable.

Good luck in sorting out the best bike for your needs and wants!

http://geoffjames.blogspot.co.nz/201...revisited.html

Bike
    Nothing yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    The two bikes you mention are almost at opposite ends of the scale in terms of end use and the real question is what do you want from a bike? I had a Street Triple for 6 years and for my personal requirements, it's still the bike I got the most pleasure from. I may get go back to one, albeit the newly released 765. You should really try both of them out when you get your full licence as it's such a personal thing. I would avoid the 660 Triple as it's so underpowered. Just go cheap until you pass your test, then get something decent. I tried a Speed Triple, Ducati Monster, Tiger 800 and a couple of others when I was looking to replace my Blackbird. However, it was the Street Triple that sold itself to me within half an hour of getting on it.

The link to my long term review review is below. Before I sold it, it covered 70,000km. In that time, I had mirror stalks replaced under warranty due to rusting and a reg/rec upgrade as part of a world-wide recall. In other words, absolutely reliable.

Thanks for the suggestions

I will be a weekend warrior and won't be using either to commute. The trouble is, the licensing is an excuse to get approval from the mrs to buy a bike. That's why I'm cautious on my decision as changing in the future will be hard, that's why I'm trying to get as a powerful one to start with.

Bike
    Sold
    Hahaha! I always get put through hoops by my Chief Financial Officer when I want to get another bike so understand your position! Even so, you run the risk of being dissatisfied with a purchase until you put some miles under your belt and get some judgement about what sort of bike you'd like if you're going to make a long-term commitment to it. I still stand by my recommendation. Get something relatively cheap but reliable, get your test out of the way then make a more informed call. I'm sure your wife will approve the logic of not investing in something you don't like in the longer term. If you do decide to go ahead with a more expensive LAMS bike, make sure you get some test rides before buying. If there's not an emotional connection with your bike, you could well regret it.

Good luck!

Bike
    A Japper
    The two bikes you mention are almost at opposite ends of the scale in terms of end use and the real question is what do you want from a bike? I had a Street Triple for 6 years and for my personal requirements, it's still the bike I got the most pleasure from. I may go back to one, albeit the newly released 765. You should really try both of them out when you get your full licence as it's such a personal thing. I would avoid the 660 Triple as it's so underpowered. Just go cheap until you pass your test, then get something decent. I tried a Speed Triple, Ducati Monster, Tiger 800 and a couple of others when I was looking to replace my Blackbird. However, it was the Street Triple that sold itself to me within half an hour of getting on it.

Now that is a review, brilliant!

Bike
    Sold
    Cheers, just trying to be objective - most unlike KB

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    As mentioned above, they are very much at opposite ends of the riding spectrum. Over the years I've owned everything from the 1970's mental 2T's big cruisers, uber tourers like the ZZR1100 and 'standard/UJM's'.

You've experienced the riding position of a sports bike, the little CBR is a pocket rocket. The Vulcan will feel VERY different.
    Best way I can 'relate' for you is from a personal decision back in the mid 1980's. At the time I had a Kwacka 1000 {water cooled gpz} and doing a motorway blast at full tit, suddenly had a 'moment' and thought WTF am I doing, {overtaking at double the legal speed} made a choice to slow down. Month later I rode away on a new Yamaha XV1100 Virago (cruiser}. I can honestly say for at least the first month I thought the thing was a 'fucking turd'. It was actually lighter than the Kwacka but...
    I had to learn to ride a V-twin (short shift for torque, not revs/bhp}. After about 3 months I was actually enjoying the relaxed riding, it was more comfortable than the K for normal riding but was about 70km's slower. Once I'd got the hang of short shifting, the XV was plenty 'fast enough; off the line for traffic work, had enough power to overtake, just didnt have the 'almost disdainful' overtaking power of the K. Of course a cruiser is not going to handle like the CBR, but then, neither are a lot of BIG bikes in really tight stuff.
    The Vulcan has a good solid motor, and will be 'plenty' fast enough, and if the CFA wants to come along will be more comfortable for her. It just wont have the outright performance/handling of the striple. The striple will be more 'fun' on back road weekend rides for sure. So it really does come down to what YOU want for your riding pleasure.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    As Blackbird has said this is more a question of what you want from your riding as opposed to which of the bikes you prefer. Both are cracking machines in their own way and you'll doubtless get a lot of riding enjoyment out of either of them. However, if you're at all worried that a feet forward cruiser will take some getting used to then I can confirm that you are right - It will. The rewards are, talking from personal experience here, worth it though.

I'm lucky enough to have access to both a feet forward cruiser as well as sportier machinery (Just sold a Triumph Daytona 600) and I enjoy riding both but for different reasons. You really need to suss out what it is you want from your bike. If you're not sure get something that inbetween from a riding position perspective (Triumph Bonneville springs to mind) and then figure out what you really want to do.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Rwangnz View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions

I will be a weekend warrior and won't be using either to commute. The trouble is, the licensing is an excuse to get approval from the mrs to buy a bike. That's why I'm cautious on my decision as changing in the future will be hard, that's why I'm trying to get as a powerful one to start with.
    Street Triple all the way. My BIL had one and it was a great bike.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Meh - three years. It's like riding a bike ......

Buy some cheap ride so you can get off your learners then buy a proper 675 Street Triple not the lame 660.

The used 675 will be cheaper later in the year as the new 765 is coming out and will be a popular upgrade with 675 owners who have been thinking of a new bike but just can't give up the fantasticness of their current 675. Just watch - they will find reasons to trade them once the 765 arrives, lame reasons like oh it has 20,000 kms, or it needs a new set of tyres, or darn the fuel tank needs filling .......

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    The used 675 will be cheaper later in the year as the new 765 is coming out and will be a popular upgrade with 675 owners who have been thinking of a new bike but just can't give up the fantasticness of their current 675. Just watch - they will find reasons to trade them once the 765 arrives, lame reasons like oh it has 20,000 kms, or it needs a new set of tyres, or darn the fuel tank needs filling .......
    It might apply to GSX-S 1000 owners too * subject to Executive Permission

Bike
    Blog Entries
    It might apply to GSX-S 1000 owners too * subject to Executive Permission
    Oil changes can be expensive dear ...... better buy a new bike - they come with special factory oil installed.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Oil changes can be expensive dear ...... better buy a new bike - they come with special factory oil installed.
    It's going to have to be a whole lot better than that, especially with a 45th wedding anniversary coming up New bike= bad boy. Expensive overseas trip = good boy. Sigh......

Bike
    A Japper
    It's going to have to be a whole lot better than that, especially with a 45th wedding anniversary coming up New bike= bad boy. Expensive overseas trip = good boy. Sigh......

Perhaps a consolation visit to a Triumph factory while overseas may be in order though...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
    Perhaps a consolation visit to a Triumph factory while overseas may be in order though...
    Now that's forward thinking - a European vacation to celebrate. Just happen to bring back some very, very large hand luggage :-)

Thread Information