Thread: Re chrome front forks rz 350

Bike
    RD350LC

Re chrome front forks rz 350

Do I need to remove bush inside bottom of forks to send off to be rechromed if so how do I go about that task?
    Cheers in advance

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Bike
    suzuki
    where are you getting them done? hard chromers are rare and usually the finish is ground so won't look as shiny as new chrome, but can be polished in a big lathe. have you priced new ones, from an aftermarket supplier, often about the same value. tnk is one or forking by frank although they're a little hard to deal with from nz

Bike
    Exercycle
    Agree with Jelly - If you can find a hard chromer in NZ who can do them for less than the cost of new, please let us know.....

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Agree with Jelly - If you can find a hard chromer in NZ who can do them for less than the cost of new, please let us know.....
    when i did my hesketh forks i struggled to find someone, then the penny dropped as to who recoats hydraulic rams so followed that path, as said, they were ground finished at the end of it all and while we didn't have the internaughty then have since learned with most shit it's worth getting new, try robert taylor from KSS in new plymouth, tell him spyda sent you his way.

Bike
    suzuki

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    I was looking at fork legs some time back and Robert at KSS suggested these guys as better. Can't recall why.

http://www.wemoto.com.au/bikes/yamah...hion_-_single/

Bike
    83 RZ350/85 RZ250R/84 RZ350R/84 RZ350K
    Blog Entries
    You could also try http://yambits.co.uk/index.php

Another option maybe Gisborne electroplaters 06 867 7602 I asked about this the other day while there and looks like he can do them so maybe worth a try.

Bike
    husaberg
    Japanese version of Ebay

available in TiNi finish as well. For most bikes, but not it appears the RZ350
    http://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=r183891799
    http://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=c592224716
    http://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=l384594165
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ojyamaha View Post
    Do I need to remove bush inside bottom of forks to send off to be rechromed if so how do I go about that task?
    Cheers in advance

am a electroplater well i was in the 80,s in christchurch not many places or demand since the 90,s

when i moved here in 1987 was told there was hard chrome factory in wanganui . i didnt check it out as was bit far away .

am not really up the diffrence with hard chroming whould imagine its similar process

there a small biz in parmmy that does standred chrome plating. guy a one man band just changed hands a few years ago.

in the process i did chrome is very lazy so doesint like to bond around gaps and holes . so u may not need remove the part.

it was always my job to judge how many amps to get it to trow and get all areas and not to much to burn on the edges.

if it burnt it need extra polishing its bit of a job with a buffer wheel . as with hard chrome i belive its a bit more like galvanising

what i was told at my work place . with the other replays i imagine your turn it down on a lathe it need to be being forks.

with hard chrome there be no concern over burning . as its a lot more thinkness applyed .

with standred chrome plating its the nickel finish 20 mins in the nickel bath 1 min in the chrome bath .

its the nickel plate thats shiny chrome is very dull and just a protective finish .

Bike
    One with 2 wheels
    I used Precision Hard Chrome in Ellerslie about 6 years ago to redo my YZF600 forks. Had the original hard chrome ground off by Precision Grinders down here in welly and then rechromed forks, reground by precision grinders again after chroming. Had it done as it was actually cheaper then buying 2 new forks. Re the bush, I might be wrong but they look a little like wear bushes. (dont know their proper name) but if they are, they do wear. Check the wear on an unworn part of the forks with a micrometer if you can to check the clearance. I took my bushes out and replaced them as it seemed a waste to go to all the trouble of rechroming and not finishing the job off properly. Just my 2 cents worth, will now wait to be ridiculed.

Bike
    RD350LC
    All good advice thanks, I had thought chrome was chrome but today talked to a guy at prescion polishers in new Lynn and said same, hard to find and possibly cheaper to get new. The forks aren't bad and the chrome isn't affected where they slide in the seals so might do the seals and bushes and put back together for now.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ojyamaha View Post
    All good advice thanks, I had thought chrome was chrome but today talked to a guy at prescion polishers in new Lynn and said same, hard to find and possibly cheaper to get new. The forks aren't bad and the chrome isn't affected where they slide in the seals so might do the seals and bushes and put back together for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg8dLj4kQPQ

pretty much same process but diffrent equipment . i had to lift all the items by hand on wires including shopping trolley frames.

there taping up the ends . in my mind there be no need to machine as this process its apply very evenly as attracted by high amp current.

and at the factorys there mass produced so there be . not cost effective to have to re do the items again.

maybe in a bearing to bearing item but as the forks have rubber seal and softer brass bush any tiny diffrence the bush whould wear on that area and there be no issue

as you say it sounds like the pitting above where the fork compresses . i brought forks of ebay 300.00 for shiping but there whould be cheaper options

i got the seller to service ship them . was way cheaper than the rip of prices in nz was quoted 1,200 i said ur joking mate are these brand new ;-)

mind you if u just got them to send the inner tubes be alot lighter and smaller . crikey there just high tensile steel tubes pity cant be prouduced here.

cost next to nothing to make

Thread Information