Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New H-D Street Rod

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Navy Boy;1131040669]
    Quote Originally Posted by Subike View Post

I guess it all depends on one's definition of 'Cruiser' versus "Naked' or 'Standard' as I believe they are referred to in the US. The Street range of bikes aren't 'Typical' Harleys but then neither are they the same as that many other bkes around. I guess the Kwaka Vulcan comes close as do the new Honda Rebel models.

All I know is that it looks like being a fun machine to ride and I'm looking forward to swinging a leg over one next month when they arrive.
    So I got the right bike.

Cruiser.

Nothing wrong with that.

It offers nothing special over any of the similar existing Jap bikes in the range other than a HD badge.

It is HD trying to introduce new riders to The Motor Company. Get hooked on one of these then buy a big block when you want to upgrade.

Good plan.

And considering there are actually universities that use HD as a study in most excellent brand marketing one would expect nothing less from The Motor Company.

You like - you buy. As it should be.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    [QUOTE=AllanB;1131040381]
    Quote Originally Posted by Subike View Post

Google and you get this thing. It's a fucking cruiser. Unless there is a ahem 'sport' version I've missed? If so enlighten the KB masses.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...treet-rod.html
    Looks like a road bike. What makes it a cruiser? Has mid pegs etc

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    At least they didnt make it have too1.

The Street Rod’s High Output Revolution X 750 engine produces 18-percent more power, and 8-percent more torque than the base Revolution X 750 engine. This equates to around 70 horsepower, and 47.2 ft/lbs of torque. much power.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

Update

So, I finally collected my Olive Gold Street Rod a week ago from the folks at North Auckland H-D. I've managed some 250Kms thus far and am enjoying what's a rather different bike from anything I've owned before. Thoughts thus far are as follows:

1. The footpegs take some getting used to. This certainly isn't a cruiser in any sense of the word with wide and flat bars which make you lean forward and pegs slightly ahead of you and quite wide apart. It's odd but it does work - It just takes you a while to get your head around it. The bike has something of a 'Bulldog' feel to it which is oddly appealing.

2. The engine's a cracker - Their demo bike has a Vance and Hines silencer fitted (It appear to replace the catalyst too) but is too loud for my tastes. I'll probably leave the standard one in place for the foreseeable future.

3. All comments I've received thus far centre around the fact that it looks unlike and other Harley. This is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

4. Harley's security/Key fobs remain a pain in the bum!

Overall I'm really liking it and I'll be curious to see how it handles some more interesting/twisty roads as and when I manage to get to them.

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    So, I finally collected my Olive Gold Street Rod a week ago from the folks at North Auckland H-D. I've managed some 250Kms thus far and am enjoying what's a rather different bike from anything I've owned before. Thoughts thus far are as follows:

1. The footpegs take some getting used to. This certainly isn't a cruiser in any sense of the word with wide and flat bars which make you lean forward and pegs slightly ahead of you and quite wide apart. It's odd but it does work - It just takes you a while to get your head around it. The bike has something of a 'Bulldog' feel to it which is oddly appealing.

2. The engine's a cracker - Their demo bike has a Vance and Hines silencer fitted (It appear to replace the catalyst too) but is too loud for my tastes. I'll probably leave the standard one in place for the foreseeable future.

3. All comments I've received thus far centre around the fact that it looks unlike and other Harley. This is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

4. Harley's security/Key fobs remain a pain in the bum!

Overall I'm really liking it and I'll be curious to see how it handles some more interesting/twisty roads as and when I manage to get to them.

Some big statements from this reviewer back in 2013. Enjoy your ride, it looks cool.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/harley-davidson-street-rod/

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Thanks Old Slider - Though I suspect this is talking about the previous Street Rod which was based on the V-Rod of the time.

This model is based purely on the Street range of models - A very different proposition. I looked at the V-Rod based model some years ago and was sorely tempted at the time. The price was the main factor which put me off if I remember correctly.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Ok then - So I'm over 600Kms in and a few more thoughts on the Street Rod now that I've had some time to become more used to it:

1. The rear brake pedal is really annoying - It's too high and angled inwards and is at the end of its adjustment. I need to do something about it as it's driving me nuts.

2. The motor's getting better and is probably the best aspect to the bike. It's very non-Harley, in fact it reminds me more of my VStrom 650, but in a good way. It sounds quite nice too even with the standard pipe still fitted.

3. The ride's pretty firm and jiggly over rougher roads. The upshot is that it feels stable and well planted in faster turns and is going to be good fun when I manage to get it onto twistier roads in the better weather.

4. It generates a fair bit of interest when parked up. People don't really believe that it's an H-D.

If you're curious then my advice would be to take one for a decent length test ride. Footpeg/brake pedal position apart it's a fun machine and I hope that H-D sell enough of them to sustain the model for a while.

Incidentally North Shore H-D have been really good thus far too. I'll be going there again.

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Ok then - So I'm over 600Kms in and a few more thoughts on the Street Rod now that I've had some time to become more used to it:

1. The rear brake pedal is really annoying - It's too high and angled inwards and is at the end of its adjustment. I need to do something about it as it's driving me nuts.

2. The motor's getting better and is probably the best aspect to the bike. It's very non-Harley, in fact it reminds me more of my VStrom 650, but in a good way. It sounds quite nice too even with the standard pipe still fitted.

3. The ride's pretty firm and jiggly over rougher roads. The upshot is that it feels stable and well planted in faster turns and is going to be good fun when I manage to get it onto twistier roads in the better weather.

4. It generates a fair bit of interest when parked up. People don't really believe that it's an H-D.

If you're curious then my advice would be to take one for a decent length test ride. Footpeg/brake pedal position apart it's a fun machine and I hope that H-D sell enough of them to sustain the model for a while.

Incidentally North Shore H-D have been really good thus far too. I'll be going there again.
    Cheers for the write up and feedback, I have just added even more smiles by upgrading the suspension on my HD, the face ache from grinning takes along time to go.

Thread Information