Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New H-D Street Rod

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

New H-D Street Rod

Hi All

Thought I'd start this one off for a change. The new Street Rod has generated a lot of interest on the web and in the motorcycling press. What do people think? Priced at $14k this seems like a rather good attempt by H-D at broadening their appeal.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Hi All

Thought I'd start this one off for a change. The new Street Rod has generated a lot of interest on the web and in the motorcycling press. What do people think? Priced at $14k this seems like a rather good attempt by H-D at broadening their appeal.
    They need to do something to get away from their ageing clients .....

At $14 if I wanted a cruiser I'd be considering this as well https://www.yamaha-motor.co.nz/produ...iser/14-bolt-0

or

https://www.yamaha-motor.co.nz/produ...650a-classic-0

or $12500

https://www.yamaha-motor.co.nz/produ...vs650-custom-0

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Hi All

No photos then ?

I understand you get a free set of fish-nets with each purchase

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	329797

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    "The ergonomics are extremely crunched, and simply didn’t work for my nearly six-foot frame. My knees were well above the gas tank, providing a psychological comfort challenge during the first few miles."

Bike for Hardley Wives who are just moving up from the LAMS 500 maybe.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    they wont catch on..

Hardley owners expect to hear the 'potato, potato, potato' exhaust sound

NOT

chapati, chapati, chapati
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Yep - It's interesting how H-D seem to have repeated attempts at making something with broader appeal than their core models. I owned an XR1200x a few years back - A cracking bike that was fun to ride and a real conversation starter when people realised that it was made by H-D. You could almost see them not wanting to admit that they rather liked it.

Then H-D simply stopped making it. Plus they didn't do that much in the way of accessories for the thing. I ended up selling it to help fund another bike - A real shame as I'd have kept it had I been able to afford to.

Oh and that's H-D branded Fish-nets...

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Yep - It's interesting how H-D seem to have repeated attempts at making something with broader appeal than their core models. I owned an XR1200x a few years back - A cracking bike that was fun to ride and a real conversation starter when people realised that it was made by H-D. You could almost see them not wanting to admit that they rather liked it.

Then H-D simply stopped making it. Plus they didn't do that much in the way of accessories for the thing. I ended up selling it to help fund another bike - A real shame as I'd have kept it had I been able to afford to.

Oh and that's H-D branded Fish-nets...
    The XR1200X was the one HD I'd seriously have and did consider. I bought an MT-01 instead. I was a touch surprised they dropped them as well, I gather they sold reasonably well in Europe. Sometimes manufacturers do some very strange things.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    I gather they sold reasonably well in Europe. Sometimes manufacturers do some very strange things.
    IIRC it was originally intended for the European market, but when it appeared there was a chorus of "we want it too" in the USA. The only guy I know who owned one had major problems and got rid of it.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    IIRC it was originally intended for the European market, but when it appeared there was a chorus of "we want it too" in the USA. The only guy I know who owned one had major problems and got rid of it.
    America did not buy it ...... typical yanks - the magazines fly to Europe and test a bike the USA does not have then bleat on about how the USA need it. When it does arrive a year or two later history shows it sits like a dead duck .....

The Sporty HD X did the same. Rest of the world thinks it is the best bike they ever made - but Bubba back home can't carry Mary-Jane on the back and his 12 pack of Bud home after work on a Friday night. And bugger me it does a weird dipping into bends thing (as in it handles ...).

Bubba went out and purchased a big block and spent a grand on mufflers that don't muffler and a new air filter. The dealer threw in a free Motor Company head rag, Bubba was very happy.

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    [QUOTE=AllanB;1131038829]They need to do something to get away from their ageing clients .....

At $14 if I wanted a cruiser I'd be considering this as well ]

Strange, didn't read anywhere in the description about it being a cruiser,
    But then this is Kiwi Biker, who reads the facts before making a post...
    Heaps of half truths in most of these posts,
    I guess its just the way it is.
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Subike;1131040338]
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post

Google and you get this thing. It's a fucking cruiser. Unless there is a ahem 'sport' version I've missed? If so enlighten the KB masses.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...treet-rod.html

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    I have an '02 Dyna bought in '03 that's had a hard life riding in tropical rains for some years and more recently in the Manawatu.

It's pretty much rattle-can flat black and has quite a few longer-range mods for rides from Singapore to KL / Bangkok etc. - hard bags, comfy seat, xtra lights, so forth. And of course a Tailgunner exhaust. Because.

Only unexpected mechanical issue over 64,000 km was a failed coil at 76 km:-) Otherwise just routine maintenance and replacing brake linings, tires, 1 battery (after 8 years), and foot pegs due to wear and grinding.

It has no obvious HD branding anymore as I had my Bride's picture airbrushed on the tank and removed the badging. People variously think it's a Harley, Suzuki, Yamaha (but never a Kawasaki) - occasionally a Victory (but never an Indian).

So - if there is a good reliable HD bike in a forest with no HD badging, will h8rs still h8 on it :-)

(That was rhetorical BTW. We all know the answer! "Forget it Jake, it's KB").

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    [QUOTE=Subike;1131040338]
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post

I guess it all depends on one's definition of 'Cruiser' versus "Naked' or 'Standard' as I believe they are referred to in the US. The Street range of bikes aren't 'Typical' Harleys but then neither are they the same as that many other bkes around. I guess the Kwaka Vulcan comes close as do the new Honda Rebel models.

All I know is that it looks like being a fun machine to ride and I'm looking forward to swinging a leg over one next month when they arrive.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    [QUOTE All I know is that it looks like being a fun machine to ride and I'm looking forward to swinging a leg over one next month when they arrive. [/QUOTE]

...and that is all that matters...

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    [QUOTE All I know is that it looks like being a fun machine to ride and I'm looking forward to swinging a leg over one next month when they arrive.

...and that is all that matters...[/QUOTE]

Quite!

Thread Information