Thread: Drum brake conumdrum

Bike
    yamaha srv250 1992

Drum brake conumdrum

Hey guys, recently had a total system failure on my rear drum brake. The bolt that anchors the drum brake to the bike came out unbeknownst to me and when the rear brake was used going under 20km the anchor came away from the bar and rotated causing the cable a duster to bend and pop out of its arm that connects to the brake which in turn twsited and got jammed against the swing arm. Lucky I was getting a wof at the time and strangely it didn't pass! So I've managed to get the cable adjuster and the arm that it connects to which was jammed against the swing arm off and straightend both up the issue now is the brake is stuck spun around. The anchor point normally sits at about 7 o'clock but it's stuck at 2 o'clock. Any idea how to fix this so I can bolt it back together? I'm thinking I will have to loosen the rear axle to get it to spin back around. Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170408_154036.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	782.1 KB 
ID:	329868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170408_154027.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	801.0 KB 
ID:	329869  

Bike
    Street Triple R
    yes - or give it a smack with a bit of wood to roll it round if you can reach it. But probably easiest to just undo the axle nut 1/2 a turn, rotate the drum and bolt it back up.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Exercycle
    I do hope you've replaced the missing bolt with the proper piece - which should have a hole for a splitpin - which you WILL replace....

Bike
    yamaha srv250 1992
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I do hope you've replaced the missing bolt with the proper piece - which should have a hole for a splitpin - which you WILL replace....
    Oh I certainly will be replacing it with the right bolt haha I don't need this happening again while I'm out on the road!

Bike
    R100GSPD
    the brake may be jammed open and wedged in place. The axle alone shouldnt prevent the drum from turning.Does the wheel turn,and the brake turn with it?You may be able to release the brake by pushing the lever backwards ,if not i cant think how you will release it

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...taking wheel off, dismantling, doing a bit of servicing on the way and making sure it works like it did when new would be a place to start...but hey, it's only a back brake and who the fuck needs brakes?...

Bike
    yamaha srv250 1992
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...taking wheel off, dismantling, doing a bit of servicing on the way and making sure it works like it did when new would be a place to start...but hey, it's only a back brake and who the fuck needs brakes?...
    It's recently been serviced luckily and depending how it goes when I have a gander I might have to take it back in. But yeah fuck brakes! Who needs em!

Bike
    motocompo
    Id like to know who the idiot was that thought it was ok to paint the swingarm & the corresponding part of the wheel at the same time. I'm guessing the same moron that left the anchor bolt loose.
    Can some people not even find a scrap of old paper? I fuckin despair.
    Here's a clue, try loosening the axle just to see what happens.

Bike
    yamaha srv250 1992
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Id like to know who the idiot was that thought it was ok to paint the swingarm & the corresponding part of the wheel at the same time. I'm guessing the same moron that left the anchor bolt loose.
    Can some people not even find a scrap of old paper? I fuckin despair.
    Here's a clue, try loosening the axle just to see what happens.
    I bought it chopped from a chap in Auckland. It wasn't even prepped before it was painted and it just rubs off in some spots. A rough job I know but I'm concentrating on getting it roadworks before I worry about the over spray on the wheels. One of the many reasons I was auckland be to snatched it up for 800$

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    Yes. What may have happened is that the lever that pushes the brake pads apart (and makes the brakes work) has turned too far the other way and the pads are pressing on the drum - take the wheel out - if you can't turn the brake plate, turn the activating lever slightly until it is free, then pull out he plate and check everything before you put it back together again. .
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    yamaha srv250 1992
    Just a follow up if anyone's interested, I managed to loosen the rear wheel nut enough to get the brake turned back around. After straightening all the bent bits I fashioned another pin for the anchor and it appeared to work fine. To be safe though I got the brake looked at and its still sound. suppose I'm lucky that it happened at a really low speed rather than in town or out of town for that matter. Thanks for the advice guys, its helpful chaps like you that will get more people into building/tinkering with their bikes.

Thread Information