Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptops - battery life.

Bike

Laptops - battery life.

Can anyone recommend a budget ish laptop with excellent battery life?

Something I can throw my own ssd into would be great.

My old piece of shit has a dead battery but isn't efficient anyway.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Budget ish laptops imo are crap. They do stupid things like put cooling fans in that are too small, make the machine run too hot, then they don't last as long.

I'm a big fan of HP ProBooks. Entry level business machines that perform well. Still have removable batteries etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    hp are satan and jews. but they make (well, the taiwanese make and hp brand) some pretty good craptops.

mac, is your other option. a real one, not the fucken skinny "air" bs'

you can also get extended cell battery packs for most things.
    disable all shits (esp wirelesses) that you dont need in bios.

lenovo, would be the other, and m0ar solid. depends whether you want chinese spies or jew spies watching your shit.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i have a hp second hand business laptop that I got from a "computer recycler".cheaper than the equivalent new

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    So if I may ask another question without hijacking the thread, what would be the recommendation for a high school kid?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    what would be the recommendation for a high school kid?
    a. 177 calibre slug gun will teach them the basics of handling and a good deal about shot placement, but an old single shot. 22 will carry them further in their career and can be used for dogs, goats and even putting down cattle so is a better long term investment.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    i have a hp second hand business laptop that I got from a "computer recycler".cheaper than the equivalent new
    fnd someone local who deals is ex-lease laptops. pbtech will ship anywhere, too.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Budget ish laptops imo are crap. They do stupid things like put cooling fans in that are too small, make the machine run too hot, then they don't last as long.

I'm a big fan of HP ProBooks. Entry level business machines that perform well. Still have removable batteries etc.
    +1 on the Probook. Mine just keeps trucking along. I believe you can get bigger batteries for them, too.

+1 on PBtech, also. Always found them great to deal with. They, ahem, fixed a sound issue with my probook, gratis, after the 1 year warranty had expired. That reminds me. I really should return the extra power cable it came back with. Years ago....
    Manopausal.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    lenovo, would be the other, and m0ar solid. depends whether you want chinese spies or jew spies watching your shit.
    IBM thinkpads etc you could hit someone over the head with and keep using. Solid as bricks (both reliability and construction).

The new Lenovo stuff I'm not so happy about. 2 directors have X1 Carbons that have both had warranty repairs. Simply not as robust as the older stuff. For their price point, I'd expect them to be great. HP EliteBook and EliteBook Folio are better options imo.

Quote Originally Posted by pritch
    So if I may ask another question without hijacking the thread, what would be the recommendation for a high school kid?
    A lot depends on the school. Some specify particular models and if they're more expensive schools, you're best to go with them, as they usually have IT on-site, temporary spare machines and a host of support. Otherwise, don't spend a lot and especially if it's their first year, you know it won't last to the end of school, budget at least 2 machines. If it's a Google enabled school, then Chromebooks can be an excellent option (avoiding the very cheapest ones) as they're cheaper than Windows machines but have everything the child needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    IBM thinkpads etc you could hit someone over the head with and keep using. Solid as bricks (both reliability and contruction).

The new Lenovo stuff I'm not so happy about. 2 directors have X1 Carbons that have both had warranty repairs. Simply not as robust as the older stuff. For their price point, I'd expect them to be great. HP EliteBook and EliteBook Folio are better options imo.
    yeah...the bottom of them basically used to be a 1/4" sheet of high quality aluminium...

A lot depends on the school. Some specify particular models and if they're more expensive schools, you're best to go with them, as they usually have IT on-site, temporary spare machines and a host of support. Otherwise, don't spend a lot and especially if it's their first year, you know it won't last to the end of school, budget at least 2 machines. If it's a Google enabled school, then Chromebooks can be an excellent option (avoiding the very cheapest ones) as they're cheaper than Windows machines but have everything the child needs.

ra-ra "google in schools" ra ra.

also, the age of highschool they're not really "childs" any more, eh.

and seeing <15 children with tablets gives me the shits.
    iMean, nothing productive has ever been done on a tablet. evar.

literally. ever.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    a. 177 calibre slug gun will teach them the basics of handling and a good deal about shot placement, but an old single shot. 22 will carry them further in their career and can be used for dogs, goats and even putting down cattle so is a better long term investment.
    I have a choice of (in ascending order) 177, 22, 33, 45 and 44. And yes, that is ascending order, but I don't know that she would be interested in any of that.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Not those budget blue coloured one that Harvey Norman sell as part of their school pack promotions. They do not have the capacity to perform for the year - the drive gets filled up too quickly and then runs like shit.

Best spending a couple hundred more above.

Wish I did - I have two 'blue' one lying around the house .....

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Go to www.graysonline.co.nz and get an ex-leave Lenovo.

Mine's an i7 that I got for $300, with no disc. Stuck an SSD in it and Bob's your uncle.

Hinge & power connector are the 2 main areas laptops fail. Pro-quality laptops don't have these problems

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    I have ...33,
    pics or it didn't happen

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Wish I did - I have two 'blue' one lying around the house .....
    install linux

Thread Information