Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha NZ parts debacle

Bike
    Indian Scout

Yamaha NZ parts debacle

Is anyone else stuck waiting months for Yamaha NZ to distribute parts?

When I bought the new MT-09 in January 2017 I also paid for some accessory parts. I'm still waiting for the $350 screen. I've heard rumours there are hundreds of parts on order nationwide that they wont distribute because of a computer problem with the inventory system.

The local shop seem to be passing on my fortnightly moans that this is unreasonable. Two weeks ago I phoned Yamaha NZ Head Office and got the same lame excuse that they are having computer problems. Even worse I asked when will it be sorted. Answer, don't know. I'm not trying to buy a bloody computer, Customers don't give a shit about their IT and internal management systems. So I asked is it likely my part is on their shelves and they are just refusing to post it out. Yeah, most stock is here. So send me what I paid for 3 months ago. 'Nah, can't do' was the reply.

I've owned something like 36 bikes of which only two have been Yamaha. There wont be a third.

I would ask for my money back but unfortunately I actually prefer the look of the Yamaha sports screen over what aftermarket ones I can locate on the net. As soon as I find a better alternative I will take it. As for Yamaha I will do my best to buy as little of their OEM stuff as possible. In 40 years of motorcycling I have never experienced such a level of arrogance and indifference towards a customer base.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Best you'd get with a consumer complaint is your money back.

Sounds like a joke in NZ if the parts are actually physically here.

Get your money back and order it internationally - a bit of research will find you a USA Yamaha shop that will sell factory goods internationally. Possibly cheaper .... I did this with Honda parts some years back.

Or Ebay.

Just do it.

Pathetic excuse Yamaha NZ if the parts are landed and waiting distribution - surely they take a per hour rate hit and have some bugger cross reference part numbers against orders - presumably the dealers have a record of what they purchased.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Mate - its been that way for ages... Back when I rebuilt the ex straight jacket FZR400 it was 1/3 the price and 3 times faster to get Yamaha parts from a Honda dealer in fucking Boston USA than from Yamaha NZ... AND the Honda dealer had all the parts books scanned and on line - click on the part and boom..

Yamaha have got fuck all dealers too... Their business policies are the kiss of death to a small trader

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i just cant understand why there isnt a Yamaha Dealer in wellington or the Hutt Valley.I know about the Upper Hutt one.Any time i have been there there wasnt a road bike in sight

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I thank fuck I'm not a Yamaha dealer.

(And I'm not an 'anyone' dealer - I just thank fuck I'm not a Yamaha dealer).

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Is anyone else stuck waiting months for Yamaha NZ to distribute parts?

When I bought the new MT-09 in January 2017 I also paid for some accessory parts. I'm still waiting for the $350 screen. I've heard rumours there are hundreds of parts on order nationwide that they wont distribute because of a computer problem with the inventory system.
    If you bought it online like most do now-days ... it would probably have been cheaper and quicker to get it.

Blame the rise in online distribution for dealers not holding much in the way of common motorcycle parts ... let alone uncommon aftermarket parts.

Perhaps ... it was not the brand choice that was wrong ... just your choice of purchase option. If you choose to blame a brand because of a dealers issues ... that is your poor choice ... again.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I just bought a stator for the Gixxer. On EBay. Out of the USA its $110 landed. Non-genuine on in NZ starts at $390.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I went to a franchise dealer for a BMW part and they were able to order internationally if the part was not held in stock by BMW NZ. Their international delivery time was 2 weeks. Maybe more NZ franchise dealers should be able to do this.
    Here's a useful Tip.
    If you have a BMW motorcycle part number, you can order a motorcycle part through a BMW car dealership.
    It gives you a few more options.
    Although it's probably quicker & cheaper to get the stuff from moto bins if it's an older machine.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Is there any dealer in nz on any brand that doesn't have this issue? Except Harley Davidson of course
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Is there any dealer in nz on any brand that doesn't have this issue? Except Harley Davidson of course
    Bought Suzuki parts through Colemans recently (twice). Ex Japan, here in under two weeks and comparable if not under online pricing.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Your parts are obviously too cheap. If they were more expensive then perhaps you'd get them faster?

*insert BMW joke here. BMW NZ quoted $3300 for a new final drive *
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Here's a useful Tip.
    If you have a BMW motorcycle part number, you can order a motorcycle part through a BMW car dealership.
    It gives you a few more options.
    Although it's probably quicker & cheaper to get the stuff from moto bins if it's an older machine.
    Yeah, things have changed in that area. When Hamptons had BMW in ChCh, the car agencies were forbidden to handle bike parts....
    I needed a sump bung which was common to bike and car. Got told no when I asked for it for a bike. Walked out the door, came back in and asked for a bung for my BMW car...happy to supply sir....

Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Suzuki as has been mentioned still seem to do quite well. The trick is, if you know it has to come from Japan, order from a dealer away from the main centers.
    Invariably, the big city dealers put a surcharge on parts orders - I've seen as much as 30%. The rural or semi rural dealers usually are happy with RRP and don't load it on. As an example I always used to get speedway GSXR cranks from Arthur Burke's at Amberley at RRP. All the ChCh agents were at least 20% dearer.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Suzuki as has been mentioned still seem to do quite well. The trick is, if you know it has to come from Japan, order from a dealer away from the main centers.
    Invariably, the big city dealers put a surcharge on parts orders - I've seen as much as 30%.
    Colemans is within an easy walk of the Auckland CBD. I can't fault their pricing and they know how to look after their regulars as well.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    2014 Honda VFR1200F
    Blog Entries
    Ordered a part through a local Honda dealer & was told there wasn't any in the country & a 2 week wait to get from Japan, just under 3 weeks later it was there.
    bikes and babes are best naked

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    MONEYI don't have any
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I found I had a fluffy seam when my crotch got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pussy forget about him.

Bike
    BSA A10
    The Yamaha dealer here has brilliant parts service, no longer than 10-12 days from Japan, 3-4 days ex Austrailia, up until the new system went in

They were told around a week for the new system to be sorted, being skeptical he gave it two, having parts on order he said he can longer tell me when they will arrive, he said parts he's ordered dont show up in the way he ordered them with later parts orders arrving before earlier orders and it's a monumental fuck up on Yamaha's side

It won't stop me using them because over the years the service has been extremely good and it isn't the dealers fault and I'm lucky to be in the position of not needing anything I ordered in a hurry
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Thread Information