Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New crash study.

Bike
    GSXR1000

New crash study.

Just saw this come up on my Facebook feed. Makes for some interesting reading. I'm still to look at the complete study but it certainly seems pretty comprehensive.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/wh...src=SOC&dom=fb

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Hey OAB. You are my hero.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I think the BMW has fallen over more than 17 times itself. It's not my fault it's bloody lazy. Every spot of sand, it takes a nap. Get stuck down a dead end goat track... it takes a nap. Water crossings, it takes a bath.

I'd have a horse instead as it also has a mind of it's own, but it's only 1HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I'd have a horse instead as it also has a mind of it's own, but it's only 1HP.
    The peak power output of a horse (at a sprint) is about 15-20HP.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Hey OAB. You are my hero.

You've been drinking again ha.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    The peak power output of a horse (at a sprint) is about 15-20HP.
    On the dyno?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    You've been drinking again ha.
    First time in a while, but I found the bottom of a cheeky little Pinot Noir last night. Nuff said.

I just read the article. It's a potted summary of what we cover on Ride Forever courses.

In particular, cornering, slow speed control, following distance and positioning for visibility.

I might have a look at the full study. But that writers summary is really interesting.

The cornering thing is interesting. Speed in to a corner is relative to technique and skill level. If done with good technique, a higher entry speed can be managed. It's getting narrow too soon that allows the momentum to throw you wide at the exit, caused by a slighter kean angle, that is the main problem. You can carry more momentum through the outside of the corner than the inside.

Really interesting stuff.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    On the dyno?
    Yeah, this new-fangled one that goes by the name of Graham. Last name Oogle.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    As usual anything on Fakebook needs to be taken with sack of salt....

Its not rocket science, in fact its not even scientific, 100 riders (who volunteered further distorting stats) is a very samll sample size no matter what electronic trickery you plug them in to.
    30 of the riders crashed, over half those were slow speed (17) ( so irrelevant for 90% of time as far as risk is concerned) and that shits gonna happen trained or untrained for a variety of reasons.

They disregard previous studies because "the results of The Hurt Report were based on eyewitness accounts, rider interviews and police reports, which are often unreliable and inaccurate." Funhny that courts acdcept all that unreliable shit tho aye...?????

Crashes are caused by poor judgement, failing to pay attention and a bit of lacking skills/experience. But when dow e make bad decisions across the board in life? its when we are tired and fatigued. All the skill in the world dont mean shit if your travelling tired.....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    The cornering thing is interesting. Speed in to a corner is relative to technique and skill level. If done with good technique, a higher entry speed can be managed. It's getting narrow too soon that allows the momentum to throw you wide at the exit, caused by a slighter kean angle, that is the main problem. You can carry more momentum through the outside of the corner than the inside.
    And relative to surface condition. Taking a wider line where space is available is often a good technique even in a truck. your effectively doing a lower lateral g force and leaving the suspension with room to cope with unexpected bumps. But given the amount of or lack of room to play with its six of one and half a dozen of the other to go slightly slower in tight out fast or runa more constant speed on larger radius. And if that's the difference between crashing or not crashing on a public road then your probably going to fast already... so is overridden by clause 1: travel at an appropriate speed.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Interesting tho was the bit about riders following to close and colliding with traffic in same direction... I know of several cases where that's caused deaths here in NZ...

CAUTION link contains fatal crash vid filmed by following bike http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ror-crash.html

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post

Its not rocket science, in fact its not even scientific, 100 riders (who volunteered further distorting stats) is a very samll sample size no matter what electronic trickery you plug them in to.
    30 of the riders crashed, over half those were slow speed (17) ( so irrelevant for 90% of time as far as risk is concerned) and that shits gonna happen trained or untrained for a variety of reasons.

They disregard previous studies because "the results of The Hurt Report were based on eyewitness accounts, rider interviews and police reports, which are often unreliable and inaccurate." Funhny that courts acdcept all that unreliable shit tho aye...?????

Crashes are caused by poor judgement, failing to pay attention and a bit of lacking skills/experience. But when dow e make bad decisions across the board in life? its when we are tired and fatigued. All the skill in the world dont mean shit if your travelling tired.....

Have you read the full study? It details how participants were selected, how the study was designed plus what the researchers based their results on.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Yes I know it's the cool thing to do, bash anything from Facebook. But this has nothing to do with Facebook other than providing the link. If Dorna put up the results of a MotoGP race on Facebook would you take that with a 'sack of salt' too...

Ah actually it is science.

Probably that's because most of the time it's all they have to go on. And it's acknowledged universally that eye witness accounts of the same differ wildly.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries

fucking hilarious.

vote akzle for guaranteed increase in lulz.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    I know that it's a small sample size, but 30% of the riders crashing seems unbelievably high. Even taking into account things like dropping the bike while putting it on the side stand etc. 30% still seems excessive.

If that's a representation of the actual number of motorcycle accidents, then no wonder people like Katman are tearing their hair out!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thread Information